Pre-Season - Colchester v Spurs Wednesday 21 July, 19.45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had possession and you could see the start of some attacking movements and overloads. Very basic, but I would expect basic in a match like this.
I think that you can start to see what Nuno wants from us and it does look promising.

Off the ball he wants decently aggressive pressing out of a mid block to create rapid counters.

On the ball he wants passing triangles to move the ball up field or crosses out wide to allow the wide players to carry it up field. With one of the 3 attackers dropping down to play link up play.

Will it be prime Poch champagne ball? Probably not. But it will still be good football if he makes it click.

Bollocks, I was ready to watch this but ended up forgetting about it until just now. Would someone be kind enough to tell me how it went? I see the score was 3-0, how did we play? Any youngsters look good?

Does Skipp count? He looked great.

Scarlett had a goal disallowed for offside (just barely) that was a great one-time shot off a nice long pass from Lucas.

CCV and Japhet looked solid defensively, though the competition didn't push them much.

Dele and Winks were below average, despite Dele's goal.

Skipp today was playing more as an 8 (with Winks playing as 6). On that basis I think Skipp could play alongside Hojbjerg as well as rotating with him.

Nice position to have.

I do wonder whether we could sell both Sissoko and Winks this TW, bringing in say Sabitzer (rumours seem to have died down a bit on him) so that our central midfield options (Dele I assume is a forward) become :

Ndombele, Sabitzer, Hojbjerg
Lo Celso, Skipp

Rather than trying to over play some players (as happened to Hojbjerg last season) I think those players could rotate so we always had decent quality available in all matches.

And added to that I wiuld suggest both Nile John and Alfie Devine are too young to loan out so could get minutes alongside more exoperience players in a limited number of matches - say 10 appearances each mainly off bench

That would get me thinking we have solved our weak CM area. But that might depend on whether Ndombele plays to his preacquisition standards and/or if Lo Celso stays fit, offset by the promise of John and Devine.

If short of cash we retain Winks, don't buy Sabitzer - and I winder if the likes of Nile John is old enough to stake a bigger claim by playing in more games.

If we don’t sell one of winks or sissoko or both this summer then the transfer window will have been a failure. Mainly sissoko.

France elimnated from Euros n Tuesday 28 June, so I'd guess Lloris and Sissoko are back to training at Spurs in a day or two ?

First of the returning Euros/Copa America players I would think. May be fit to play in Mind series of games ?

Euros finals were on 11 July, so Kane and Hojbjerg back in the first few days of Augiust, other players will be due back between next couple of days and first couple of days in August, after each having 3 weeks off after their National Team elimination from the competition.

MP is 6' plus. Watch him in this vid. Pretty sure he is not wearing high heels.

Spanish Wiki must be tripping

WCnwXMO.png

Sessegnon, Doherty and Reguilon are not involved either. Probably have knocks or not in good enough condition to be involved. Normal for pre-season, our last match was only 3 days ago.

Ndombele in particular should not be allowed onto the grass until he is in proper shape. That means capable of 90 minutes at high intensity. Not 30 minutes of jogging followed by 30 minutes of walking and falling over.
They said on the pre show that some first team players have some fitness issues still.

Back
Top Bottom