Premier League 20/21 Targets and Expectations.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2020/2021 season target

• Win everything we enter!!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Title challenge and pick up at least 1 trophy.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Top 4 and get to the later stages (at least) of cup competitions.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • Top 4. The cup competition are less important.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Secure a Europa League spot. Top 4 would be tough, and a bonus.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The league doesn't matter. Just win a trophy of any nature.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Who cares - just sack Mourinho so we can focus on our future without him.

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 13260

After a much needed morale boosting spell of fixtures for us recently and the end of season looming - what are our 'realistic' expectations for next season?
What should we be aiming for, and what we will get?

Lets remind ourselves that in 2021 the year does end in 1..

For me the target would be a Champions League spot, but not scraping in to 4th on the last day of the season. To have a flutter with being around title challengers, securing a spot with several weeks of the season left to play - so realistically 2nd or 3rd.
We can expect to see 6-7 teams with similar ambitions so it will be tough.

On the cup front.. I believe we will target winning all 3 of them, and that should be our ambition.
To win just 1 of our 3 targeted cups should be our expectation. Although people may mock it when it suits them, I would love to see us lift a European trophy of any nature in my life time.

For me top 6 is the bare minimum, wouldn't consider the season a successful but wouldn't a failure.

I think some realistic goals above just finishing top 6:

Compete for League, FA, Europa League- meaning getting to the SF's in at least 2 of those and I think it is realistic to hope to win one.

Top 4 I think is a possibility but highly unlikely, of course dependent on what happens in the the transfer window.

So long story short I think the goal should be win the League, League Cup, FA and EL but I would say that Top 6 would be passable, Top 6 and League Cup ok, Top 6 and FA or EL success, Top 4 trophy or not success, Top 4 and Trophy great.

Difficult to be really confident in terms of expecting anything next season, partially because of Covid-19, but also because of our weird, stop-start season, punctuated with the full stop of the Poch sacking.

IF Mourinho is properly backed financially, allowed to get in one or two key players he wants and also ship out those he doesn't fancy/negative influences, then top four is a fair expectation given the Jose factor and our exit trajectory this season. I would also expect one deep run in a domestic cup, or Europa if we get into that competition. I think given our players, Mourinho's pedigree/experience and proper backing from the board that is a fair expectation - Poch took us (albeit somewhat flukily) to a CL final and was sacked, to keep it in context.

If Enic shaft Jose with transfers and recruitment then we realistically have no right to expect more than we're currently getting, which is about sixth.

Wish list

Definitely
DM - possibly Holberg (spelling) but is he that player?
Full backs - left back especially and right back to such an extent (sorry Serge, and full respect btw)

Want
Back up striker to Kane (hard position to fill)

Maybe
GK - Hugo is good but is getting on, I think it's time to think about what comes next. IMHO Pope is eminently gettable and one of the league's very best

Onwards and upwards. Seen green shoots in the last two weeks, including a tighter defence and an organisation and discipline we've been sorely lacking. Lots of work to do but feeling more positive. COYS

Top 4 and 2 trophies. The Mou factor will finally make us winners. Trophies and CL football is what the club demands and this time next year we’ll have it.

Top 4 and 2 trophies. The Mou factor will finally make us winners. Trophies and CL football is what the club demands and this time next year we’ll have it.
Hiring Jose is similar to the petro dollar clubs who throw money about, it doesn't always guarantee winning something but it certainly enhances your chance to do so.

Hiring Jose is similar to the petro dollar clubs who throw money about, it doesn't always guarantee winning something but it certainly enhances your chance to do so.

It's not really similar at all, for one reason which you said yourself: money. Resources is all - bad tools and no one can win nowadays. If Mourinho gets the right support it certainly could give us a potential edge.

It's not really similar at all, for one reason which you said yourself: money. Resources is all - bad tools and no one can win nowadays. If Mourinho gets the right support it certainly could give us a potential edge.
Well it depends because poch never had a great deals of money to spend, he had a decent but not a great budget for recruitment.
But I think if Jose has similar budget which is likely he can do what poch couldn't and get this club over the line.

Depends on how the end of this season goes. If we're in the Europa, then it's to get back into the Champions League whether that's by winning it or reaching the Top 4. If we aren't, then that both makes things easier with very few fixtures, but also means we'd need a huge boost to make up for that failure and avoid having to make cutbacks; the only redemption would be by winning the league.

A trophy in the bag it’s pretty simple and hopefully top 4. If we don’t start winning trophies, then the likes of Harry Kane etc will be off. We have to start winning trophies. No more excuses anymore. This club needs silverware and hopefully Jose will get us that.

A trophy in the bag it’s pretty simple and hopefully top 4. If we don’t start winning trophies, then the likes of Harry Kane etc will be off. We have to start winning trophies. No more excuses anymore. This club needs silverware and hopefully Jose will get us that.
If he is backed properly then make we might just do something next year, but it's dependent on varying factors including Mr levy do we will see.

If I’m not mistaken this coming season marks 20 years of ownership for ENIC, so it’s time to get moving on the trophies.....any trophy would be welcome most of us say and I suppose that’s true, but the league cup is all but become a run out for the big 4 (L’pool, City, Utd & Chelsea) teams reserves before taking it kind of serious and winning it, and then there’s the FA cup which once was “thee” trophy to win but has lost something on me the past 10 years as very poor Woolwich side after Woolwich side seem to have lifted it what seems like every other fucking year, so again a bit like the league cup where the tops sides will plod along half interested until the quarters or semis and then go on an win it or Woolwich do, who make up the remaining top 6 teams and have vacuumed up the crumbs left from the big 4 when the chance occurs.....

So we have the League to go for, not a chance for me, you need some luck to win that thing and we don’t do luck in that way....our luck is reserved for CL runs or other Cups right up to the point where we get slapped right in the face at the worst possible time....

So that leaves us the Europa (maybe) and that fucking thing is a double edged sword, I mean how can you start out the season planning to win it? It’s the kind of cup like the league cup and FA cup, you tick along until it gets interesting and by then (February) we will have multiple polls asking should we sacrifice top 4 for the Europa etc etc....

Bottom line is we don’t really know what we can achieve, we don’t even know what our squad will be like, but here’s something we do know, we all start the league equal, and we need to take one game at a time, just focus on winning every single game as it presents itself, Jose is the master at that and I just hope he gets in the players he wants/needs and he is given a fair crack at it from the start......

If I’m going to punt right now I’m going for

League 3rd
Europa (Win)
FA cup (3rd round)
League cup (QF)

Sacking Mourinho is all I want. His football is dreadful. I'd rather see us mid table under someone positive than first under Mourinho. I love the beaitiful game of football, "To dare is to do", Spurs is not supposed to sit in the bus and hit on counters. Mourinho out.

It all depends on the window - if we get the right players in we could do something. Similar feeling to the issues Liverpool had in 2017 with Karius, Lovern and no defensive midfielder. Their signing of Fabinho, Van Dijk and Allisson transformed them from top 4 challengers to CL and title winners. We have our own Karius in Aurier and a quality RB and DM are essential if this team is to challenge again.

Reach Europa Cup Final, park the bus and win it with a Kane goal.
Finish 6th in the League but qualify for the CL by having won the Europa and anyhow 6th is above Woolwich so still a result.
Blood some of the youngsters in the FA and League Cups but go out in the quarter finals.

Hard to select an option because there are a lot of variables missing from the equation.

I'd sell Ndombele and Dele if we can get £100 million for the pair and invest it on fullbacks and a DM.

If we get quality fullbacks and a DM we could challenge at the very top of this table.

But we don't know what business we will end up doing, and what business the top sides will end up doing.

I don't see Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, City or the goons standing still this summer, so we cannot afford too either.

If I had to make a conservative bet i'd like to see us get back into the top 4 and win the Europa or a domestic trophy (assuming we quailfy)

Back
Top Bottom