Premier League 20/21 Targets and Expectations.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2020/2021 season target

• Win everything we enter!!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Title challenge and pick up at least 1 trophy.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Top 4 and get to the later stages (at least) of cup competitions.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • Top 4. The cup competition are less important.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Secure a Europa League spot. Top 4 would be tough, and a bonus.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The league doesn't matter. Just win a trophy of any nature.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Who cares - just sack Mourinho so we can focus on our future without him.

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
A trophy in the bag it’s pretty simple and hopefully top 4. If we don’t start winning trophies, then the likes of Harry Kane etc will be off. We have to start winning trophies. No more excuses anymore. This club needs silverware and hopefully Jose will get us that.

Would absolutely fucking love to win the Europa.

Does my nut when I hear people mug it off.

Spurs supporters slagging of a trophy which we were the inaugural winners of and is a tournament that has defined out past.

And it’s not just the UEFA cup plenty do this with the FA Cup as well. An utter embarrassment to the supporter base.

People keep saying this but has four straight years in the CL given us?
Aurier? Ndombele’?

Who did we attract?

Ndombele at the time was a great get. It turned out to be poor but when we got him the fact that we had CL football to offer, plus more funds from playing in the CL to afford him, had us competing with other top clubs in the world for his signature. Don't confuse poor scouting with lack of options. It also likely has made it much easier to keep players like Lloris, Kane and Son than if we had spent the past 4 seasons out of CL.

We can see this offseason when we need to add that funds are limited, you don't think having an extra 20 million to spend from CL revenue wouldn't help year after year? The funds from selling out the stadium each game wouldn't help?

Maybe those Swansea City players/fans are more than happy to have won the League Cup and then spent most of their time in the Championship but I personally would rather stay up in the Prem and play in the CL year after year.

In my opinion the Champions League is just another part of football that's been ruined by money. Clubs shouldn't be getting into the CL by finishing fourth, they should be getting there by winning a trophy or the Premier League.
We shouldn't be having a conversation about whether we want a domestic trophy or a CL spot because the trophy should be what gives clubs that CL spot. Then when we get there we should be treating it seriously and aiming to win it.

Players dont see the league cup as much or any sort of stepping stone. I'm sure they are happy with the medal but it wont make them think a club is going anywhere. Last time we won it Keane and Berbatov both left and the same would happen again if we're not in the champions league. I wish it wasnt that way but no point being in denial about it.

When you're 80 years old, would you rather show your trophies and medals to your grandchildren or regale them with tales of when you played at the San Siro, Nou Camp, etc?
There is a great documentary on sky docs at the moment called Howards way about Evertons mid 80's side. Peter Reid, Andy Gray, Pat Van Den Hauwe all said their abiding memory of those few years was the semi final cup winners cup win over Bayern Munich because of the atmosphere and occasion. The final win was a one sided non event. I feel the same as a fan about the 91 cup semi and subsequent final. Sometimes its the journey that is more fun.

He is the player so I guess you have to let him have his opinion but given the choice of League Cup win or top 4 and CL I would take CL.

Maybe one time winning the League Cup to get rid of the no trophies BS from other fans but overall getting into CL year after year is much more important than the League Cup and will lead to getting better players, building a better team and likely winning more trophies than just the League Cup.
People keep saying this but what has four straight years in the CL given us?
Aurier? Ndombele’?

Who did we attract?

Having CL makes it easier to get better talent. There is no argument against that.

At the margin, perhaps. But at the end of the day it is almost entirely a question of money.

The reason clubs in our position prioritize the pursuit of top 4 over the cups is down entirely to the far greater financial reward for doing so. And fans, who have swallowed the notion of revenue generation as the ultimate purpose of a football club hook line and sinker, denigrate the cups accordingly.

It's a shame. And it's weakening the game from the root.

Absolved Jose of what? I never blamed him for anything.

And how is Levy absolved when he is the reason we do not have the players in here to win trophies?

LOL you are a fun poster. Just make up anything you want, ignore reality and them claim some sort of "win" when you only made up arguments in your head using statements nobody made.

I respect your commitment from totally ignoring reality and it must be awesome to just ignore everything and create narratives in your head. I am sure it is a much easier way to go through life than actually dealing with reality.
Didn’t have the players to win a cup?
You didn’t realise that before the Chelsea cup defeat, we’d beaten them in the first leg, and the last two PL games.

So three straight wins against Chelsea but we didn’t have the players to beat them.
Awwwwww you didn’t know did you, how sweet.

Also, did you realise that sandwiched between the Utd semi final bottle job defeat, we’d beaten them in the PL 2-0 and 3-0?
But we didn’t have the players to beat them either?

Awwww you don’t know your history do you, good effort though mate.

Deleted member 13260

After a much needed morale boosting spell of fixtures for us recently and the end of season looming - what are our 'realistic' expectations for next season?
What should we be aiming for, and what we will get?

Lets remind ourselves that in 2021 the year does end in 1..

For me the target would be a Champions League spot, but not scraping in to 4th on the last day of the season. To have a flutter with being around title challengers, securing a spot with several weeks of the season left to play - so realistically 2nd or 3rd.
We can expect to see 6-7 teams with similar ambitions so it will be tough.

On the cup front.. I believe we will target winning all 3 of them, and that should be our ambition.
To win just 1 of our 3 targeted cups should be our expectation. Although people may mock it when it suits them, I would love to see us lift a European trophy of any nature in my life time.

For me top 6 is the bare minimum, wouldn't consider the season a successful but wouldn't a failure.

I think some realistic goals above just finishing top 6:

Compete for League, FA, Europa League- meaning getting to the SF's in at least 2 of those and I think it is realistic to hope to win one.

Top 4 I think is a possibility but highly unlikely, of course dependent on what happens in the the transfer window.

So long story short I think the goal should be win the League, League Cup, FA and EL but I would say that Top 6 would be passable, Top 6 and League Cup ok, Top 6 and FA or EL success, Top 4 trophy or not success, Top 4 and Trophy great.

Back
Top Bottom