Premier League 20/21 Targets and Expectations.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2020/2021 season target

• Win everything we enter!!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Title challenge and pick up at least 1 trophy.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Top 4 and get to the later stages (at least) of cup competitions.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • Top 4. The cup competition are less important.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Secure a Europa League spot. Top 4 would be tough, and a bonus.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The league doesn't matter. Just win a trophy of any nature.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Who cares - just sack Mourinho so we can focus on our future without him.

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
If I’m not mistaken this coming season marks 20 years of ownership for ENIC, so it’s time to get moving on the trophies.....any trophy would be welcome most of us say and I suppose that’s true, but the league cup is all but become a run out for the big 4 (L’pool, City, Utd & Chelsea) teams reserves before taking it kind of serious and winning it, and then there’s the FA cup which once was “thee” trophy to win but has lost something on me the past 10 years as very poor Woolwich side after Woolwich side seem to have lifted it what seems like every other fucking year, so again a bit like the league cup where the tops sides will plod along half interested until the quarters or semis and then go on an win it or Woolwich do, who make up the remaining top 6 teams and have vacuumed up the crumbs left from the big 4 when the chance occurs.....

So we have the League to go for, not a chance for me, you need some luck to win that thing and we don’t do luck in that way....our luck is reserved for CL runs or other Cups right up to the point where we get slapped right in the face at the worst possible time....

So that leaves us the Europa (maybe) and that fucking thing is a double edged sword, I mean how can you start out the season planning to win it? It’s the kind of cup like the league cup and FA cup, you tick along until it gets interesting and by then (February) we will have multiple polls asking should we sacrifice top 4 for the Europa etc etc....

Bottom line is we don’t really know what we can achieve, we don’t even know what our squad will be like, but here’s something we do know, we all start the league equal, and we need to take one game at a time, just focus on winning every single game as it presents itself, Jose is the master at that and I just hope he gets in the players he wants/needs and he is given a fair crack at it from the start......

If I’m going to punt right now I’m going for

League 3rd
Europa (Win)
FA cup (3rd round)
League cup (QF)

Sacking Mourinho is all I want. His football is dreadful. I'd rather see us mid table under someone positive than first under Mourinho. I love the beaitiful game of football, "To dare is to do", Spurs is not supposed to sit in the bus and hit on counters. Mourinho out.

It all depends on the window - if we get the right players in we could do something. Similar feeling to the issues Liverpool had in 2017 with Karius, Lovern and no defensive midfielder. Their signing of Fabinho, Van Dijk and Allisson transformed them from top 4 challengers to CL and title winners. We have our own Karius in Aurier and a quality RB and DM are essential if this team is to challenge again.

Reach Europa Cup Final, park the bus and win it with a Kane goal.
Finish 6th in the League but qualify for the CL by having won the Europa and anyhow 6th is above Woolwich so still a result.
Blood some of the youngsters in the FA and League Cups but go out in the quarter finals.

Would absolutely fucking love to win the Europa.

Does my nut when I hear people mug it off.

I agree. Though I would rather see us do it from starting in the competition rather than picking up the pieces of getting dumped out of a Champions League group in 3rd place.. like that Gent game I wasted my time and money attending.

All over the place.... Dumb-ass.

I like Darren Bent. I think to be fair to him, the distinction he's making is that he didn't play in the LC final so the medal is prob not worth as much.

Also a trophy is more important to us know because everyone in the squad has already experienced CL football and a lot even played in the final.

Of course we’re better off, but it’s a myth playing CL gives you the pick of the bunch.

Otherwise everyone would want to join Dortmund, instead of leave them.

Who said it gets you the pick of the bunch?

Having CL makes it easier to get better talent. There is no argument against that.

Since we are talking about the League Cup as you say young players from other countries don’t know us as well as other teams, they also don’t grow up hoping to win the Caribao Cup, they grow up hoping to play in and win the CL.

Sure but that fits for about the 1% of players in the world.

There is still a large group of players that are extremely talented that would rather play for Spurs in the CL than play for Everton in the Caribao Cup and EPL. There are players that will come here to play in the CL that will have no interest if we are a constant 10th place team with a couple of Cariboa Cup wins.

Do you honestly think we would bring in the same quality of player if we constantly finished 10th but won every single Caribao Cup versus wining zero Caraibao Cups but constantly top 4?

i mean just based on our financial differences alone it is clear that we are getting better players in the CL scenario.
Look at the level of player we have been linked with so far, hardly much to get excited about considering what Chelsea are doing.
I think a lot of fan's are going to be left disappointed by the transition to the new stadium, the cautious tight spending will never change.

The idea that getting Jose in here to win trophies has always been so overrated.

We competed for all those same trophies under Poch as well. Jose isn't any better situated to have us win trophies than we were under Poch if the club still maintains the same transfer philosophy and sub par talent levels.
The difference is that Poch gets his teams to (semi-)finals and that's nice, but José actually wins silverware. Or at least that's what he has been doing so far in his career.

The man has won 12 of his 14 finals, pretty impressive.

The idea that getting Jose in here to win trophies has always been so overrated.

We competed for all those same trophies under Poch as well. Jose isn't any better situated to have us win trophies than we were under Poch if the club still maintains the same transfer philosophy and sub par talent levels.

Mourinho can have won 4,000 trophies in his past and it will mean nothing if we are running out Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Aurier etc.

The idea that Jose has some magic formula to win us trophies with sub-par talent is a fairy tale. Just like everyone else out there is he does not have the players he will not win squat.
They wasn’t sub par in 2015-18 though
Poch had his chances and blew them all.

Now it’s time to give a proven winner a chance.....with 450M spent on 26 players (as Poch had) Jose will deliver.

Not sure why you think he should have to it with the squad Poch sucked the life out of and destroyed.

I think he can win the Europa with Spurs, I think Poch could win the Europa with Spurs, I think a lot of managers could win the Europa with Spurs.

That is largely based on the fact that Spurs will likely have a top 4 team in Europa this year not because of anything in particular that Jose will bring to the table.
It's much more likely with a proven winner in charge instead of a guy who has won fuck all in his career.

It's much more likely with a proven winner in charge instead of a guy who has won fuck all in his career.
Strange mantra creeping in that if Jose doesn’t win something with the stinking leftovers of the 2016 squad then he’s no better than Poch.

The problem with that is they are ignoring the very real probability that Jose would have won us a PL, CL and a couple domestics had he been in charge for those games

Not when the majority of those wins came many years ago when the game was different and for completely different clubs.
Many years ago and also a couple of trophies with an average United side a couple of years ago, that's basically what he has been doing his whole career: winning silverware. On the other hand you've got coaches who will fuck it up when it really matters, I would rather have a Mourinho in charge than one of those.

We weren't chasing a goal though it was tied on aggregate and Llorente had already shown that he wasn't effective as a 90 minute player.

It is ok to look at context and have different opinion on what should be done in different games. You understand that people don't just have to have blanket opinions on things and can actually look at the situation and make a judgement based on that.
Scored in the 87th minute to win against Watford the very next game

LOL

And there it is your pathetic need to blame Poch comes out again.

There is no wriggling it is clear as day what is happening but because you need to blame Poch you only see what you want.
I don’t “need” to blame Poch.
He was the manager who made decisions that lost this club 3 semis and 2 finals in five years.

You might think the chairman picked the team, that’s your problem though.

Back
Top Bottom