Premier League 20/21 Targets and Expectations.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2020/2021 season target

• Win everything we enter!!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Title challenge and pick up at least 1 trophy.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Top 4 and get to the later stages (at least) of cup competitions.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • Top 4. The cup competition are less important.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Secure a Europa League spot. Top 4 would be tough, and a bonus.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • The league doesn't matter. Just win a trophy of any nature.

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Who cares - just sack Mourinho so we can focus on our future without him.

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
People keep saying this but has four straight years in the CL given us?
Aurier? Ndombele’?

Who did we attract?

Ndombele at the time was a great get. It turned out to be poor but when we got him the fact that we had CL football to offer, plus more funds from playing in the CL to afford him, had us competing with other top clubs in the world for his signature. Don't confuse poor scouting with lack of options. It also likely has made it much easier to keep players like Lloris, Kane and Son than if we had spent the past 4 seasons out of CL.

We can see this offseason when we need to add that funds are limited, you don't think having an extra 20 million to spend from CL revenue wouldn't help year after year? The funds from selling out the stadium each game wouldn't help?

Maybe those Swansea City players/fans are more than happy to have won the League Cup and then spent most of their time in the Championship but I personally would rather stay up in the Prem and play in the CL year after year.

I suppose it's all about ambition. You don't seem to have any.

My desire to play in the top club competition in the world and win more and bigger trophies than the League Cup shows I don't have ambition?

Ndombele at the time was a great get. It turned out to be poor but when we got him the fact that we had CL football to offer, plus more funds from playing in the CL to afford him, had us competing with other top clubs in the world for his signature. Don't confuse poor scouting with lack of options. It also likely has made it much easier to keep players like Lloris, Kane and Son than if we had spent the past 4 seasons out of CL.

We can see this offseason when we need to add that funds are limited, you don't think having an extra 20 million to spend from CL revenue wouldn't help year after year? The funds from selling out the stadium each game wouldn't help?

Maybe those Swansea City players/fans are more than happy to have won the League Cup and then spent most of their time in the Championship but I personally would rather stay up in the Prem and play in the CL year after year.
If Ndombele was such a great get, why were we the only club in for him and who were these clubs we competed with for his signature?

Realistically with this squad its hard to ask for more

- Top 4 finish (Liverpool, City are so far ahead and Chelsea, Manu are investing heavily so it would be hard to pull off a top 4 finish but with some smart buys i believe we can fight for top 4)

- I want to see Tottenham Stadium become a fortress that teams are afraid to come to. (something that Mourinho has managed to do with previous clubs)

- Good run in the Europa League and other cup competitions

- More fluid and logical counter attacking plays (we saw a glimpse of great counter attacking plays after the break but its still too inconsistent and sometimes it feels abit clumsy/awkward but im sure Mourinho and the team overall can improve it for next season)

In my opinion the Champions League is just another part of football that's been ruined by money. Clubs shouldn't be getting into the CL by finishing fourth, they should be getting there by winning a trophy or the Premier League.
We shouldn't be having a conversation about whether we want a domestic trophy or a CL spot because the trophy should be what gives clubs that CL spot. Then when we get there we should be treating it seriously and aiming to win it.

So we signed a fat frump and kept the squad

If Ndombele was such a great get, why were we the only club in for him and who were these clubs we competed with for his signature?

It was alleged that Barca were (and indeed still are) interested in him....

Let's be honest, if it wasn't for regular CL we wouldn't be appealing to such a player nor paying him 200kpw.

We weren't the only team in for him.

As for the other teams I would have to go back and try to find articles discussing the transfer.

If Barca wanted him they would have got him.

Depends if regular game-time or name-value was more important to him.... Maybe we were prepared to pay him more as we envisaged him being a key player for us rather than just one of many there....

Inexplicable as it may seem to some, they still are interested allegedly.

I'm not sure writing an expression of interest to a club is how the transfer market works. If they didnt want to come it was down to salaries and the owners not competing when we had champions league football.
Ok, so not signing Mbappe, Fernandinho and Cavani was because of wages and they all really wanted to join us?

Have you ever considered that outside of our country, we just aren’t that known among young footballers the same way Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea are.
Like it or not, just playing CL isn’t what brings Mbappe to your door, no matter what the wages. We are basically Zurich Grasshoppers to these guys.

Do you think that we are better off without Kane, Son and Lloris?

Do you think that we have a stronger side if Levy has even less money coming in?
Of course we’re better off, but it’s a myth playing CL gives you the pick of the bunch.

Otherwise everyone would want to join Dortmund, instead of leave them.

Ok, so not signing Mbappe, Fernandinho and Cavani was because of wages and they all really wanted to join us?

Have you ever considered that outside of our country, we just aren’t that known among young footballers the same way Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea are.
Like it or not, just playing CL isn’t what brings Mbappe to your door, no matter what the wages. We are basically Zurich Grasshoppers to these guys.
Where did i mention those sort of players? If we'd have paid the wages we could have got Mane summer of 2016, he's done alright. That's ambition and building a side not adding a 'star' name for a dick waving competition.

Where did i mention those sort of players? If we'd have paid the wages we could have got Mane summer of 2016, he's done alright. That's ambition and building a side not adding a 'star' name for a dick waving competition.
What a wonderful hindsight signing.
So you mean playing in the CL can attract Southampton players with no more than potential at the time?

That’s already our standard. That’s my point.

What a wonderful hindsight signing.
So you mean playing in the CL can attract Southampton players with no more than potential at the time?

That’s already our standard. That’s my point.
No hindsight, we needed a quality wide forward and got Sissoko. Playing in the champions league can attract the players outside the galatico level but you have to pay the wages as well. We didnt or dont.

Back
Top Bottom