Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One thing is for sure, I'm not certain that there's another striker at Spurs who I'd trust with the cold-blooded execution of a penalty kick. You could forgive a striker that's going through a bad spell with having missed at least one in his first season. Not only has this not happened with Soldado, but he's taken his spot-kicks with aplomb.

lucky for him its not last season then.......

Price tag is not always a true representative of ability - as I've tried to illustrate further up the thread

He's a 17m player give or take and as such as performed reasonably

I would still expect more for 17M to be honest. The fact we paid 9M above his supposed value is more Levy's fault than Soldado's though I guess.

Personally, I think Dawson and Walker have been way, way more consistent performers this season.....but it only takes one mistake and the knives are out.

So you'd be happy to bench Dawson on Sunday?

If we had other options which I thought would improve the defence, absolutely.

I wouldnt drop Soldado if Eriksen and Lamela were injured.

With everyone available, Id like us to try any of these (with a definate gameplan to bring Soldado on in the 2nd half)

Lennon.........Sandro..........Dembele............Eriksen
.................................Lamela
...................................Ade

Lennon............Sandro.........Dembele............Lamela
...................................Eriksen
.....................................Ade

Lennon...........Sandro...............Dembele..........Eriksen/Lamela
....................................Paulinho
......................................Ade

If and when Soldado gains confidence and his game improves, he can challenge for his spot back, and is more than welcome to rejoin the first team. That for me is a fundamental rule of football.

Good point.....Id be interested to know how much time he spent on the bench though when he was poor?

Ive never said sell Soldado.....I dont see a single thing wrong with dropping an out of form player, and using the squad to benefit the team. Isnt that the whole point?

He was dropped under AVB for a while for Defoe.

You're giving Sherwood time to prove himself, why can't you give Soldado the same amount of time to see how he performs under Sherwood before dropping him? or is one not related to the other in your eyes?

You're giving Sherwood time to prove himself, why can't you give Soldado the same amount of time to see how he performs under Sherwood before dropping him? or is one not related to the other in your eyes?

Soldado has not shown any improvement in 5 games. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for 3 months, and blamed AVBs system of isolating him.

Now he has support, and service, and is still poor.

The difference between giving a manger and a player time is huge. A player can be dropped from the starting line up and gradually reintroduced from the bench.

A manager can only be fired or, stuck with.

You have to admit that he's a real conundrum.
His return as a striker suggests that he should be dropped, lets face it everyone cried out for Defoe to be dropped when he hit a fallow patch like this. Yet, as you point out he is obviously a talented footballer, and his track record shows that he knows where the net is.
Its hard to walk away from the fact that at the moment he looks like a guy who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, but we all know that he's never going to score in the PL unless he stays on the pitch. But can the team afford the luxury of a misfiring goal machine?
If we had a midfielder with Lampards return to fill in the gaps, we could buy the guy some time, but we don't - and if Ade goes off on another "fuckit" session we are going to start losing games through an inability to get on the scoresheet.
How long would you go, before you admitted defeat, if his scoring drought continues?

You have to admit that he's a real conundrum.
His return as a striker suggests that he should be dropped, lets face it everyone cried out for Defoe to be dropped when he hit a fallow patch like this. Yet, as you point out he is obviously a talented footballer, and his track record shows that he knows where the net is.
Its hard to walk away from the fact that at the moment he looks like a guy who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, but we all know that he's never going to score in the PL unless he stays on the pitch. But can the team afford the luxury of a misfiring goal machine?
If we had a midfielder with Lampards return to fill in the gaps, we could buy the guy some time, but we don't - and if Ade goes off on another "fuckit" session we are going to start losing games through an inability to get on the scoresheet.
How long would you go, before you admitted defeat, if his scoring drought continues?

Agreed, however as a team we are scoring goals right now so it's not gotten to that point yet in my view. That said if Soldado gets dropped and Lamela takes his place with Adebayor playing further forward than he currently is then it will be interesting to see whether both players can play that way and together. Unless I'm missing an obvious alternative?

Agreed, however as a team we are scoring goals right now so it's not gotten to that point yet in my view. That said if Soldado gets dropped and Lamela takes his place with Adebayor playing further forward than he currently is then it will be interesting to see whether both players can play that way and together. Unless I'm missing an obvious alternative?
The concern for me is we are replacing one out of sorts player, short on confidence - for another, with that as an option. But then we are back to chasing our tails over how does a player get his confidence back - play games - try the stuff I'm good at - score goals again - or not, circuit.
- to simply scrapheap 56 million pounds worth of footballers makes no sense whatsoever, but its hard to see the right way forward if the two of them can't carry the responsibility and get their confidence back.
We are going to be fucking awesome if the pair of them start hitting the motherlode though.

Back
Top Bottom