Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

RS has had a poor season due to poor form, not because he is a poor player. Most on here seem to comfuse the two? Comparing him to others is foolish . Of course others are better, due to their current form.
But as a player he is better than most, Hopefully we see this next season.
All the routers can pi55 of if they want to promote negative crap about him and anything related to the club. We need get positive. Look what it's done for Liverpool this season and how the scum use it even when they are poor.
COYS

:avbcringe::avbcringe::avbcringe:

You can't imply YouTube can make anyone look good and then imply that he always misses sitters.. using YouTube videos, surely?

I have made no judgement of the guy as a player based on the misses. Just posted them as a point of interest as I for one had no idea he had missed open goals at Valencia too.

I mean, its an actual fact that he did miss them. I never said he always misses sitters, or anything remotely to that effect.

I judge Soldado on the 90 minute performances he has played in a Spurs shirt. Apart from having about 7 shots on target all season, a couple of good passes, two good finishes and some penalties in the PL, he has been fucking shit.

RS has had a poor season due to poor form, not because he is a poor player. Most on here seem to comfuse the two? Comparing him to others is foolish . Of course others are better, due to their current form.
All the routers can pi55 of if they want to promote negative crap about him and anything related to the club. We need get positive. Look what it's done for Liverpool this season and how the scum use it even when they are poor.
COYS

That's very true. I'm actually a top player, but unfortunately my form has been shocking for the past 30 years,

COYS

Other than his goals in Spain, I have no idea what else Soldado contributed to the team.....as I never followed Valencia and watched their games regularly.

As I am of the impression that he is a goal poacher, who in the right league and team is very effective, yet is completely non existent when not scoring, could you tell me what else (apart from goals) he offered to the Valencia team, that has you convinced he is a top quality player.

IMO, its important that a striker who is not scoring offers something else in games. What has Soldado done at Spurs, and at Valencia (apart from goals) that makes you back him so strongly, and makes you absolutely convinced he will come good all of a sudden?

Well no shit, but then there's another perspective that you're neglecting to consider.

First, while Soldado's finishing has, needless to say, been infuriating - nay, non-existant - his actual performances apart from finishing have improved markedly throughout this season. Earlier in this season he was lost up front, but over the course of this season has become markedly more comfortable tracking back and getting involved in possession, or pulling out wide and assisting wing play.

Secondly, we've been here before, with Ade, Defoe, Ade, Defoe, Pav, Defoe, Keane, et al. Now, none of them were so expensive as Soldado, but on form I would say that Soldado at his worst this season has still been superior to Ade at his worst last season.

Not to mention the fact that he started out this season essentially losing a child due to a (late term, if I recall) miscarriage. There's still reason to hope that a new coach will get Soldado firing next season.

His performances have been average at best. He has been no better than Adebayor and that's very worrying. He is still very poor in possession as well. Anyway, we didn't buy him because he can track back or because he can play well in wide positions. We bought him so he could score tap ins and he's bottled so many of them, I've lost count.

Umm no, our 'penalty taker' is now Emmanuel 'Johnny Wilkinson' Adebayor.

How many penalties have we won since Sherwood has been in charge? Next, think about how many goals Soldado has scored.

The coincidence wouldn't be that Soldado hasn't scored because there's been no penalties, it's moreso that there's been very little convincing attacking movement. It's all been crap crossing and lump-it football.

And what happened when he finally got a goal and a smile on his face? He got dropped for 3 games.

Sherwood is a glorified Allardyce with his tactics, AVB was a Pep-on-a-bad-day. Soldado hasn't justified his price tag, but we've seen enough to know that it's probably more to do with the team play than him. If he was that inaccurate or a bottler from close range, he'd be more likely to be terrible at penalties.

I would have thought that the majority of fans who have watched every match this season would see that. It's like expecting to make a fantastic omelette with expensive eggs using novice chefs.

When Soldado is on the pitch, he's the main penalty taker. Stop being obtuse.

What has penalties won under Sherwood got to do with Soldado being terrible at everything aside from putting away a penalty?

The attacking movement from the team is generally poor but the striker enables good attacking movement unless you have world class players in other attacking positions - which we don't. Soldado is generally poor on the ball, he's not a very good passer, he's not good at hold up play and he routinely misses sitters.

I don't the correlation between missing sitters and being bad at penalties. Missing chances in open play is instinctive. Penalties are anything but instinctive.

It's an odd analogy you've used. You can't completely blame the manager because Soldado can't function as a striker. You either blame the player for not being good enough or you blame Levy/Baldini for bringing in expensive players that will most likely never work together in a team. None of this is Sherwood's fault.

I have made no judgement of the guy as a player based on the misses. Just posted them as a point of interest as I for one had no idea he had missed open goals at Valencia too.

I mean, its an actual fact that he did miss them. I never said he always misses sitters, or anything remotely to that effect.

I judge Soldado on the 90 minute performances he has played in a Spurs shirt. Apart from having about 7 shots on target all season, a couple of good passes, two good finishes and some penalties in the PL, he has been fucking shit.
If you make no judgement then why post, you are in fact a two bob each way man or to put more succinctly, you follow where the wind blows.

If you make no judgement then why post, you are in fact a two bob each way man or to put more succinctly, you follow where the wind blows.

I posted them because its the Soldado thread and its of interest to me as I had no idea he had missed open goals at Valencia too.....(just said that in the post you quoted, but why read when you can ask me, and I can say the same thing again eh?)

The rest of your post meant nothing to me, the thread, or language in general, so best forgotten I guess.

We finally sign a top quality striker in Soldado and you guys want to dismiss him after his first season due to poor form. Jokers. Players usually need a season to adjust to the Premier League. Suarez only scored 11 goals in the league in his first full season.

I don't see him being any better next season than he has been this season. Makes Rebrov look like a good signing. Obviously I hope I'm proved wrong.

I think in a team that suits him a little more, you could see a very different player.

It was clear at Valencia he was excellent, albeit in a pretty narrow skill set. Play to his strengths a bit more and watch him flourish...

IMO, its likely we will cut our loses and he will go onto another club and start banging them in - however I do believe we could see what we spent all that money on with a manager that suits him.

Sure, Suarez has 'quick feet' but that doesn't translate into pace which is what I thought you were referring too.. Not that Soldado is anywhere near Suarez' level but in my eyes they're similar kinds of players and need to use the same qualities in order to be successful.

In all honesty it's been so long since Soldado actually played on his own up top (back with AVB even?) it's difficult to recall individual performances, but I think he was ok with hold-up play. I still maintain that he could be a successful lone striker, and I much prefer him to Adebayor. If we're playing with one striker, I wouldn't say I expect them to be out by the wings; with one up front it is their sole duty to score goals and let the rest of the team create the chances. It's frustrating because athough Ade does make some chances, we end up without a striker in the box to finish them, meaning it's left to people like Lennon, Paulinho etc. who are terrible at finishing.

Assists can be a deceptive statistic though, because it all depends on who the ball is going to. If anyone has 'key passes' to hand that would be more useful. Assists can be not-great plays that have been brilliantly finished, or a superb through-ball could be fluffed by the recipient and it would not go down as an assist. "If our wingers were more goal savvy" - the problem is that they're not, so you're effectively saying that we should bring in a new team of wingers to aid Ade's play, whilst suggesting we shouldn't adapt to create chances for Soldado.

bring in new wingers? No. Hopefully utilize what we (are supposed to) have in Lamela/Chadli/Eriksen? Yes.

I prefer the striker who scores goals.

I think in a team that suits him a little more, you could see a very different player.

It was clear at Valencia he was excellent, albeit in a pretty narrow skill set. Play to his strengths a bit more and watch him flourish...

IMO, its likely we will cut our loses and he will go onto another club and start banging them in - however I do believe we could see what we spent all that money on with a manager that suits him.

I honestly don't think he'll go anywhere else in the EPL. The game just doesn't seem to suit him. But you're right-- he probably will be banging them in elsewhere when he does leave.

Apart from having about 7 shots on target all season, a couple of good passes, two good finishes and some penalties in the PL, he has been fucking shit

ding ding ding ding ding

of course, rather than see the truth in this everyone on here just wants to see us build a squad around a
finicky striker who has played like shit in just about every imaginable way.

Back
Top Bottom