Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He is quality. Let's persevere with him for another season and hope his scoring as well as assists get back to his former form. His assists have been good. Needs a fresh season to get to goal scoring again

You literally have no proof that he is any more technically minded than Suarez. Suarez makes all the right runs, works the channels, brings his team into play AND actually finishes his chances to boot. I'm not sure there's anything RS can do that Suarez couldn't do better. There's a reason Madrid wants to brings him in, just as there's a reason they shipped Soldado off all those years ago.
Have you the evidence. Liverpool play a long'ish ball which suits Suarez's game. Yes a long diagonal ball. He is forced into channels, he doesn't make them by choice. You are getting confused with, because he has scored lots of goals, he must be a better technical player. He simply is not.

And I'm sure every time Lennon or one of our other suppliers actually gets a ball in to Soldado their first thought is to wonder if he'll actually finish it this time.
RS needs a good quality pass or players anticipating his movement by playing into space. Lennon can't do that nor can Townsend. It must be so frustrating to make an intelligent move/run and not get the ball. He is a good intelligant player.

Yep, one pass makes up for an otherwise average performance for the majority of two months.
Very average and he is quoted as saying he is looking forward to working with Sherwood next season, we need that partnership like we need a hole in the head. 100,000 plus quid a week is he worth it?

Soldado's first season: 36 matches, 11 goals, 5 assists

Am I missing something, or is he getting a bit of a stick that just seems to be the norm at spurs, but for the likes of Defoe in 09/10. In comparison, he's hardly out of place imho.

Just a random selection of our stats, it's not often we have a stand-out striker in a season.

Adebayor last season: 34 matches, 8 goals, 1 assist
Defoe last season: 43 matches, 15 goals, 3 assists

Pav in 10/11: 39 matches, 12 goals, 4 assists
Defoe in 10/11: 28 matches, 8 goals, 2 assists

Keane in 09/10: 25 matches, 9 goals, 2 assists.
Pav in 09/10: 24 matches, 10 goals, 2 assists.
Defoe in 09/10: 43 matches, 24 goals, 5 assists

Pav in 08/09: 36 matches, 14 goals, 2 assists.

Only you can take a pop at Ade in a Soldado thread where he has scored twice from open play in 28 games. But he kicks posts right? All angry passion n shit?
I didn't bring up Ade, I merely responded to your claim that he had only one bad game lately. It's been a little run now, but that doesn't mean he's shit. It just follows Ade's SOP.

Can't even admit you're wrong. Tsk tsk.

Have you the evidence. Liverpool play a long'ish ball which suits Suarez's game. Yes a long diagonal ball. He is forced into channels, he doesn't make them by choice. You are getting confused with, because he has scored lots of goals, he must be a better technical player. He simply is not.

:paulinhofacepalm:

I think you're the one confused if you think that Suarez isn't excellent at reading the game and making the correct decisions with or without the ball.

Last edited:
Soldado's first season: 36 matches, 11 goals, 5 assists

Am I missing something, or is he getting a bit of a stick that just seems to be the norm at spurs, but for the likes of Defoe in 09/10. In comparison, he's hardly out of place imho.

Just a random selection of our stats, it's not often we have a stand-out striker in a season.

Adebayor last season: 34 matches, 8 goals, 1 assist
Defoe last season: 43 matches, 15 goals, 3 assists

Pav in 10/11: 39 matches, 12 goals, 4 assists
Defoe in 10/11: 28 matches, 8 goals, 2 assists

Keane in 09/10: 25 matches, 9 goals, 2 assists.
Pav in 09/10: 24 matches, 10 goals, 2 assists.
Defoe in 09/10: 43 matches, 24 goals, 5 assists

Pav in 08/09: 36 matches, 14 goals, 2 assists.

That's my point-- past precedent is exactly why Soldado is getting so much shit. At least from me. The club shelled out far more to bring him here than they did any of those other guys, and his return is just as bad if not worse. There's no reason Roman Pavlyuchenko should have ever been in the same discussion as Soldado.

The club splashed £26 million on him-- he has in no way looked the part of a £26 million striker. He was brought in to break the cycle, not become just another part of it.

That's my point-- past precedent is exactly why Soldado is getting so much shit. At least from me. The club shelled out far more to bring him here than they did any of those other guys, and his return is just as bad if not worse. There's no reason Roman Pavlyuchenko should have ever been in the same discussion as Soldado.

The club splashed £26 million on him-- he has in no way looked the part of a £26 million striker. He was brought in to break the cycle, not become just another part of it.
He should be judged when we have had a manager for a full season and providing it is not TS (cross my fingers)

Do people really think Soldado is a terrible striker?

I couldn't believe it when we signed him, as he's been one of the best poachers/finishers in Spain for the last few years. He offers a lot in other areas of the game as well. Has an eye for a good pass, and thinks quickly (perhaps too quickly for the likes of Lennon).

I'm not for one second trying to defend his record this season. It has been poor however you look at it. However, considering how he was used in the wrong set-up under AVB, then seemed to be suffering from a lack of confidence under Sherwood as a result of his earlier isolation (as well as his personal trauma, and adjusting to a new country/league), I think he's worth persevering with for at least one more season.

If the new manager can't find a way of fitting him into their system then fair enough, see if we can sell him. But I think a lot of people are underestimating how much of an asset he can be if used correctly.

:paulinhofacepalm:

I think you're the one confused if you think that Suarez isn't excellent at reading the game and making the correct decisions with or without the ball.
Surez plays a high tempo, high energy game with attitude. Off the defender, he uses his pace to chase down the ball. His high energy takes him into areas that fortune sometimes rewards his application. It's not high intelligent football. RS is cultured in his movement. He does (contrary to your view) bring other players into the game. The way we were set up under AVB disconnected most players incl RS. Under TS RS sat on the bench. Liverpool have had a good consistent season and most players in their side have been on top form. Individually most would not get into the City or Chelsea team next year. (this is your argument gauge incl Susrez) although they would use him in the squad.

Do people really think Soldado is a terrible striker?

I couldn't believe it when we signed him, as he's been one of the best poachers/finishers in Spain for the last few years

IMO he has shown little vs the pace of the prem. and his bag of tricks is empty.

I backed him hard, gave him every excuse including our season ruining wingplay but all things considered he really has nothing to offer. Nothing is cute, clever, strong, no guile, no movement and beyond that his team game is poor. He is a liability at the moment.

I admit it when I get it wrong. So much so you have to think who was setting him up for his 30 goals and let's get them.

IMO he has shown little vs the pace of the prem. and his bag of tricks is empty.

I backed him hard, gave him every excuse including our season ruining wingplay but all things considered he really has nothing to offer. Nothing is cute, clever, strong, no guile, no movement and beyond that his team game is poor. He is a liability at the moment.

I admit when I got it wrong. So much so you have to think who was setting him up for his 30 goals and let's get them.
Gosh if you back something hard, what are you like when you go each-way! :rolleyes:

No Soldado is. 2 prem goals in open play in almost 30 games.

Why pad it with 5 Europa goals? Even Townsend, Defoe etc can score those. We played the toilets of Europe early on.

We've had this discussion.

Why disregard Europa games when games against teams playing like crap in the league count (Sunderland, Newcastle etc.) - I am fully confident most group stage Europa teams would beat the relegation fodder in the PL most weekends.

Anyone who disregards the penalties he scored this season should look at how many points they won us, and then think of Adebayor taking penalties. No one cares about 'open play', goals are goals, regardless of who they are scored against.

We've had this discussion.

Why disregard Europa games when games against teams playing like crap in the league count (Sunderland, Newcastle etc.) - I am fully confident most group stage Europa teams would beat the relegation fodder in the PL most weekends.

Anyone who disregards the penalties he scored this season should look at how many points they won us, and then think of Adebayor taking penalties. No one cares about 'open play', goals are goals, regardless of who they are scored against

That is absolutely ridiculous. Scoring goals from the penalty spot for a £26m striker is hardly a commendable quality. A penalty regardless of the mental aspect is one of the easiest actions in football, so much so that Steve in the stands could probably score a penalty against the best keepers in the world.

When you pay £26m for a striker, you are expecting him to get at least 15+ goals from open play in the Premier league as well as scoring all the penalties won for the club. To defend his abysmal performances is delusional at best.

Also, just in reference to your earlier point, scoring a hattrick against the worst team in Russia is not at all comparable to scoring a hattrick against the worst team in the Premier league. Anzi are at a similar level to a league one team. Even then, Premier league managers know how to tactically take Soldado out of the game - something a manager in the Europa wouldn't pick up on from basic scouting before a tie.

Soldado this season has been indefensible. He has been shocking. He is not at all suited to this team or even this league. His acquisition has been a complete waste of money and we won't get anywhere near what we spent back considering his age.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Scoring goals from the penalty spot for a £26m striker is hardly a commendable quality. A penalty regardless of the mental aspect is one of the easiest actions in football, so much so that Steve in the stands could probably score a penalty against the best keepers in the world.

When you pay £26m for a striker, you are expecting him to get at least 15+ goals from open play in the Premier league as well as scoring all the penalties won for the club. To defend his abysmal performances is delusional at best.

Also, just in reference to your earlier point, scoring a hattrick against the worst team in Russia is not at all comparable to scoring a hattrick against the worst team in the Premier league. Anzi are at a similar level to a league one team. Even then, Premier league managers know how to tactically take Soldado out of the game - something a manager in the Europa wouldn't pick up on from basic scouting before a tie.

Soldado this season has been indefensible. He has been shocking. He is not at all suited to this team or even this league. His acquisition has been a complete waste of money and we won't get anywhere near what we spent back considering his age.

Adebayor didn't score a penalty, so is he simultaneously worst than Steve in the crowd, yet better?

The whole team have been shit this season minus Lloris and on occasion Adebayor. If Eriksen hadn't scored his free kicks then he'd probably be slagged off too, such is the demand for instant success.

To berate a player who is doing his best in a team set up for an after school game is unjustified - it's the likes of Paulinho, Vertonghen and co who have looked like they don't care that are the problem.

No one said he had justified £26m, but by saying penalties don't count is idiotic - why do you think they get awarded ffs....

Back
Top Bottom