Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also, if you look at his form the season before it's easy to see he's not getting the right service.

He's not a "tap in" type of player, looks far more like a Spurs striker than you'd believe - we're just not playing like a spurs team.

Clever through balls, well delivered crosses, getting through behind the defence... all the kind of service that's been lacking this season.

There are a few players in the Spurs team that would not be able to cope with this level of Spanish football. These goals convince me even more that his a QUALITY forward and needs to be respected for that.

What I see in Soldado is something I have never seen in Adebayor at Spurs, passion.
What you have listed is frustration, which is not surprising after scoring 30 odd goals last season.

Are you getting passion mixed up with frustration? Ade plays with joy. I don't think spurs fans read up enough on ade. Today he was saying next season he will get a preseason for a change. He said he plans on having a good break but was really looking forward to preseason because his plan is to have his best ever season for Tottenham.

Other interviews he said he dedicates every goal to his dead brothers son. And there is a reason he does not get overly emotional about losses and mistakes. He watched his friend die in his arms along with other international teammates who died in a hail of bullets on international duty. It gave him perspective on what is really important.

You want passion? He still pulls on his international jersey after that because he knows how important it is for his country.

Suarez is incredibly quick. He may not have top end speed, but he's absolutely quick. And far, far stronger both technically AND physically than Soldado. When was the last time Van Nistelrooy played in the BPL? Tactics change, athletes change. Soldado? Counter attacking football? You do realize you need to possess at least a modicum of speed to be successful counter attacking, right?
Suarez is not incredibly quick, that is just false. His intelligence gives him 5yds on defenders before they've even started running, which is why so frequently he ends up 1-on-1 with no defenders near him. Soldado is surprisingly physical for his stature, he doesn't often get shrugged off the ball. And i'm fully aware counter-attacking relies on pace, I figured we had some of that with Lennon/Townsend on the wings, no?[/QUOTE]

You refuted my statistics by providing faulty statistics of your own, though-- yes, Soldado scored penalties... but you cannot 100% without a doubt say he's the only player who would have banged them in, therefore the only points I feel he truly won us on his own were the 3 against Cardiff. Ergo, Kane has had about as successful a league campaign as Soldado has. I just don't understand how you could possible defend the fact that our 26 million pound signing has scored less from open play than a 20 year old who will probably never go for half that pricetag.
How did I refute your statistics with a post that was regardless of everybody else's? Did I quote your post initially? Must've missed that..

If we want to play this game, you could say that Kane would have missed some of Soldado's misses or that Soldado would've scored Kane's goals.. There's a trillion different variables and it's a ridiculous argument to have. I wasn't defending the fact at all initially, just saying that anybody can find a statistic that suits their agenda. I think he's had a terrible goalscoring season but my initial point (and one which again you seem to be failing to recognise) is that I would keep him for another season rather than accepting a £20m loss on him.

Again, I don't think you all realize that in order for Soldado to be successful for us we will need to build our entire team around constantly feeding him the ball. You think Mourinho/Martinez/Wenger/Pellegrini/Rodgers/Van Gaal (if ManU happen to sign him) wouldn't be able to figure out how to stop that? Players in this league are incredibly gifted athletically, it would literally require one athlete to shut him down for an entire game. He is simply not the type of player to bring others into the game, meaning our other creative players would suffer as a result. He is absolutely not the right striker to carry us forward.
I don't think you've been watching the same player as I have this season if you're arguing that he doesn't bring others into the game. That's been the one strength of his this season, he has some incredible, intricate touches that have created chances for us- obviously they haven't been finished off so it'd be impossible to find you highlights of this i'd imagine. I would be interested in strikers that you consider to create chances for themselves? They're incredibly rare and have a ridiculous pricetag, of course a striker needs service.. I don't even get how anybody could think otherwise.

There is ABSOLUTELY a reason Adebayor was brought back into the fold, and ABSOLUTELY a reason Adebayor is by far a better fit for our squad as a striker. You talk about Ade not "contributing enough"... what is exactly that you've seen Soldado ever contribute besides a few penalties, some cute passes and a whole bunch of shanked shots?
I'm not disputing that Adebayor has a part to play, but I absolutely disagree that he is a 'leading the line' striker. I don't usually vent on Adebayor because it seems to be an unpopular opinion, but for me he is never actually where a striker should be, spends all game fucking around on the wings and with the defensive midfielders, half his shots are passed straight at the opposing goalkeeper, he rarly seems to win headers, and his creative play is also terrible. Take the goal he scored from the Soldado cross (v Southampton?) - we're counter attacking 2-on-2, Adebayor has Soldado just to his left, and ends up smashing the pass out to the corner flag!? If he'd played a ball 10 yards ahead of RS then that's almost certainly a goal, with the pass he received there was SO much work to do and i'd argue Soldado made that goal despite Adebayor, not because of him.

Are you getting passion mixed up with frustration? Ade plays with joy. I don't think spurs fans read up enough on ade. Today he was saying next season he will get a preseason for a change. He said he plans on having a good break but was really looking forward to preseason because his plan is to have his best ever season for Tottenham.

Other interviews he said he dedicates every goal to his dead brothers son. And there is a reason he does not get overly emotional about losses and mistakes. He watched his friend die in his arms along with other international teammates who died in a hail of bullets on international duty. It gave him perspective on what is really important.

You want passion? He still pulls on his international jersey after that because he knows how important it is for his country.
Would be nice if he understood the words consistency and the pride that goes with wearing and playing in a Spurs shirt. Why is he being paid 100,000 quid plus PER WEEK just to contribute when he wants to or is disposed to doing. Not good enough. And I respect his emotional dedications.

Would be nice if he understood the words consistency and the pride that goes with wearing and playing in a Spurs shirt. Why is he being paid 100,000 quid plus PER WEEK just to contribute when he wants to or is disposed to doing. Not good enough. And I respect his emotional dedications.

Lol. He goes one game without scoring or an assist and suddenly he has a problem with his form? haha.

Plastic, knee jerker.

Lol. He goes one game without scoring or an assist and suddenly he has a problem with his form? haha.

Plastic, knee jerker.

I'm actually gonna have to agree with ol Gibbsy on this one. If we consider trends of the season, I wasn't surprised to see Paulinho do what he did, but I was surprised to see it from Ade. Even with this blip, I think the majority will look back on the season Ade's put in with favor. I'm fully aware he has a poor track record in the past with consistency and effort, but I've been impressed with him this year and as such am more apt to give him the benefit of the doubt based on a more recent trend.

I think that this is nothing more than Ade trying to save face after having a run lately of very average looking games and that embarrassing display on Saturday.

Plastic, knee jerker.
Actually, it's been four games now. West Brom, Fulham, Stoke, and West Ham.

In fact, he's really been pretty average or poor since Chelsea aside from Sunderland.

Good opinion but wrong on many levels. RS is far more football technically minded than Suarez.

You literally have no proof that he is any more technically minded than Suarez. Suarez makes all the right runs, works the channels, brings his team into play AND actually finishes his chances to boot. I'm not sure there's anything RS can do that Suarez couldn't do better. There's a reason Madrid wants to brings him in, just as there's a reason they shipped Soldado off all those years ago.

I honestly believe we haven't seen the best of RS. Scoring goals is his job (I understand that) and this he has failed to do this season. However, he showed all the ability and knowhow to be a good team player and the goal scorer we need at Spurs next season. It's all been a bit of a mess this season with players playing their own game? He needs to be in a good, balanced and functioning team. it must be a nightmare having Lennon for example, . supplying the ball? will he pass, will he cross it, will he get it right?

And I'm sure every time Lennon or one of our other suppliers actually gets a ball in to Soldado their first thought is to wonder if he'll actually finish it this time.

Suarez is not incredibly quick, that is just false. His intelligence gives him 5yds on defenders before they've even started running, which is why so frequently he ends up 1-on-1 with no defenders near him.

Let the youtube train continue-- All you'll need to watch is the first minute to know that he just simply would not be able to make these kinds of cuts and dribble past people like this if he wasn't quick on his feet. Again, he may not be fast, but he is supremely quick.

Soldado may be able to bring others into play as part of a strike partnership, but when have you seen him hold up play as a lone striker? He just hasn't, and I believe in order to maximize the talent on the squad we'll need to play with one up top (then again, I'm not and never will be an EPL manager so..). Soldado cannot play as a lone striker in the EPL. No way in hell. My point isn't that we need a striker that doesn't need service, but that we cannot afford to build our team around an underperforming and 'confidence' striker like Soldado. I'm not suggesting we bring in a striker who can create for themselves, simply that we consider bringing in a striker who can operate alone AND outside of the box as well as he can inside.

I suppose his cross against Southampton is a counter-point to my questions about his outside-the-box ability, but how many times have we actually seen him do that this season? He's got as many assists as Ade in eight more league starts, so I wouldn't say he's any more adept at bringing others into play as Ade. I don't know what to say about your assertion that he drifts to the wings other than that's more or less how I would expect him to operate. If our wingers were a little more goal savvy, Ade's movement would create space for either them or our CMs to run into in the middle. I'd much rather have Ade running around as opposed to being stagnant, and as Gibbsy put it, "crabbing" with his back to goal like Soldado.

You must have missed his sublime setup for Roses header vs Stoke goal eh?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/goals/england/stoke-v-tottenham-live-video-updates/

19 games.
10 prem goals.
4 prem assists.

Then again, looking at your avatar quote I could say the sky is blue and you will pull me up on it.
I didn't question his earlier quality, I was simply pointing out that he has been less than stellar for a run of games now, not just one like you were implying. Yes, you are correct that the sky isn't falling with Ade necessarily, but I'm also correct that he hasn't exactly been up to par for the last month or two.

I didn't question his earlier quality, I was simply pointing out that he has been less than stellar for a run of games now, not just one like you were implying. Yes, you are correct that the sky isn't falling with Ade necessarily, but I'm also correct that he hasn't exactly been up to par for the last month or two.

Stoke was like a week ago brah. Amazing assist. For the winner. To keep our champions league hopes alive.

Back
Top Bottom