Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I disagree.

Soldado started off the season linking up very well but AVB tried to make the wingers the main threat with them cutting inside. This stopped him from getting many chances, by the time things changed and he had more chances his confidence was destroyed and he was snatching. I really don't believe it is Soldado's fault he had a shit season.
Linking up well with who? . You aren't looking at his movement, positioning and contribution . We have switched to wide players and the delivery has been poor.it was since our 2-2 to draw to manchester united on the 1st december. That was 5 MONTHS ago.

Linking up well with who? . You aren't looking at his movement, positioning and contribution . We have switched to wide players and the delivery has been poor.it was since our 2-2 to draw to manchester united on the 1st december. That was 5 MONTHS ago.
"by the time things changed and he had more chances his confidence was destroyed and he was snatching"

This was a report in the mirror from august 2013 (of all places) giving a report on who we signed.

."Soldado's movement in and around the penalty area is very good but outside (the box) it he's a fish out of water."

"Despite playing up front alone his hold-up play has never been anything above average, and it's instinctive movements and battling qualities that have helped him the most while being the lone striker."

"Often he's played in attack on his own, rarely pairing up and when he did there was little coexistence"

At Valencia Soldado's been the spearhead of the attack for several years now, and in each of the last three seasons he's managed to hit more than 25 goals in all competitions which is an impressive feat. Being the main man up top has been key, with the Valencia system being based entirely on finding him and him only.

"Soldado still needs to combine with teammates on a better level, show more awareness and overall improve tactically. The retort is usually that he's not that type of player, and he scores goals anyway."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/scouting-report-roberto-soldado-spurs-2104830#ixzz30lLHN3wS

Soldado would thrive at Woolwich best. I am sorry to say this . A team who contiually carve open their opponents ,threading through balls and being more clinical in the final 3rd.This is why if we want to actually persist with Soldado then we need to start players who can do that ie: Eriksen and Lamela.

Once again, I am going to ask the question. After the years of tactical headache with a limited clinical poacher like Defoe, why would we sanction the same time of archetypal striker? And how is it a rag like the mirror has better knowledge of who we are signing than the people putting down £26m for Soldado.

I'd rather have someone annoyed at his mistakes than someone like Ade or Vertonghen who just roll their fucking eyes and forget about it.

They are two of our best players. You are just being over emotional. Plus you saying rolling their eyes and forgetting about it is pure speculation and more bullshit. Ade stood up to AVB regarding his shitty tactics while Defoe was probably sexting and signing contracts for Canada. Kissing the badge can be bullshit too.

This fucking romantic ideal is DEAD. They are not local players, they are not boyhood Spurs fans and making up shit to make you feel more hardcore whats the score is a losers mentality.

Soldado would thrive at Woolwich best. I am sorry to say this . A team who contiually carve open their opponents ,threading through balls and being more clinical in the final 3rd.This is why if we want to actually persist with Soldado then we need to start players who can do that ie: Eriksen and Lamela.

Playing with Soldado is like playing with 10 men, he's not dynamic off the ball. Similar to Siggy. You can't have too many players who don't impact the physical side of the game. I want Eriksen and Lamela too, but if you put a ghost on the pitch next to them that can't blunt the power aspect of the game then you will get cricket scores.

Our stylish players needs rocks next to them, not a guy crabbing with his back to goal until he's subbed for lack of impact.

I would play Soldado, Ade and Eriksen, or Lamela, Soldado and Ade. But Eriksen, Lamela, Soldado along with the other weak links in the team is part of the problem we have had for decades. We can be a soft touch.

So IMO there are other players who are ahead of the line for Soldado to work.

The fact that this lethal finisher couldn't hit a fucking barn door for the majority of the season leads me to the conclusion that it probably is his fault that he's had a shit season.
I could be wrong though.

Absolutely fuckin right. But, like I said, everyone likes to give him a pass and blame his "service." Doesn't make much sense to me. At £26m a player should be dominating a match, not letting a homegrown striker who's been on loan to four different clubs score more goals from open play in the league. Of all the summer signings this is the guy we should all have at the top of our re-sell lists. His style of play is simply not suited to us. He could stick around and be our top Europa league scorer I guess, but I highly doubt he would want that.

Not that it means anything but without Kane's goals this year we'd be 1pt worse off, without Soldado's we'd be 12 worse off. Anyone can manipulate a statistic to suit their agenda, of course.

Nobody is arguing that he'd been brilliant this season, but I just think it's stupid to write him off and "sell him for £10m" where we'd have just lost £20m in a year. The ability is there; I was watching Valencia for the four years he was there and some of the goals he scored were unbelievable. It's impossible to put a finger on WHY he's been so poor this year, but given the chance I fully believe he'll come good.

And for what it's worth, I am 100% not an Ade fan, I have never rated the bloke. When he's scoring goals I'll keep shut about him, but really I just don't see what he offers the majority of the time. Given the choice of who to sell, i'd get rid of Ade (oh no, shoot me!).

Also
They are two of our best players. You are just being over emotional. Plus you saying rolling their eyes and forgetting about it is pure speculation and more bullshit. Ade stood up to AVB regarding his shitty tactics while Defoe was probably sexting and signing contracts for Canada. Kissing the badge can be bullshit too.

This fucking romantic ideal is DEAD. They are not local players, they are not boyhood Spurs fans and making up shit to make you feel more hardcore whats the score is a losers mentality.
Did Martin Jol support Tottenham? Did Van Der Vaart watch all of our games in his Spurs shirt before he moved to us?

No, of course they fucking didn't. But they showed that they actually cared about the team they were associated with, and as a result the fans loved them both. It's not making up shit, I didn't suggest Soldado was a huge Spurs fan, just that there is nothing wrong with showing that you actually give a shit.

Also you've accused me of 'pure speculation and bullshit' before the very next line states that "Ade stood up to AVB regarding his shitty tactics while Defoe was probably sexting and signing contracts for Canada" so :adethumbup:

Absolutely fuckin right. But, like I said, everyone likes to give him a pass and blame his "service." Doesn't make much sense to me. At £26m a player should be dominating a match, not letting a homegrown striker who's been on loan to four different clubs score more goals from open play in the league. Of all the summer signings this is the guy we should all have at the top of our re-sell lists. His style of play is simply not suited to us. He could stick around and be our top Europa league scorer I guess, but I highly doubt he would want that.

Nail on head. Sure he didn't get the service in AVB's reign but he was given a partner in Ade at the beginning of Deadwood's 'attacking' tenure and did fuck all. My memories of Soldado this season are of him kicking goalposts, holding his head and swearing in Spanish. £26 fucking million.

Also
Did Martin Jol support Tottenham? Did Van Der Vaart watch all of our games in his Spurs shirt before he moved to us?

No, of course they fucking didn't. But they showed that they actually cared about the team they were associated with, and as a result the fans loved them both. It's not making up shit, I didn't suggest Soldado was a huge Spurs fan, just that there is nothing wrong with showing that you actually give a shit.

Also you've accused me of 'pure speculation and bullshit' before the very next line states that "Ade stood up to AVB regarding his shitty tactics while Defoe was probably sexting and signing contracts for Canada" so :adethumbup:

Ade gave an interview where he said he and AVB had a falling out over tactics etc. It led to him playing with the kids. People call Defoe a Yiddo but he moaned every time he was left out and left the club.

Twice.

And Soldado said if he were younger he probably would have left after 2 months. What has happened since then? Not much.

You need to grow up. Look at Liverpool, Suarez wanted to leave hardcore, had strops etc but long term it worked out. And our fans wanted Jan to leave because of how he looked in a tunnel? You NEVER sell your best players. Ever. Suck it up buttercup. Winning is the best emotion and wipes slates clean. You stick with Soldado and get rid of Paulinho's, Jans and Ade's because of stops and incidents and you will be frothing because you are mid table.

Just my opinion like, but if we ony kept one of our strikers next season for me its bobby all day long. He's had his shit season, all strikers do, and next year he's gonna be on fire, whoever he plays for. Personally, I love the fella and i get the feeling hes about to explode

Simply speaking realistically, irregardless to any opinions on any individual players, I suspect Soldado will be here next season and Ade will not. This is due in no small part to what we paid for Soldado in conjunction with what would be a heavy loss from any sale after the season he's had, and because of the extent of Ade's wages next year.

I hope Soldado will be here next season. Ade not so much, I just don't feel I can count on him and maybe I don't know enough about the game, but I feel he doesn't contribute enough especially for his wages.

This season shows what happens when you have so many new players and lose one world class player.

Gareth was carrying us. Loosing him and we were already left with a dysfunctional team, add in the new players and can hardly blame Soldado in my book.
I think I appreciate Gareth more now that he's gone. He really did paper over the cracks.

Ade's abilty to avoid the ball while part of the wall during the Spammers game should be proof enough of his (lack) of committment.

Not that it means anything but without Kane's goals this year we'd be 1pt worse off, without Soldado's we'd be 12 worse off. Anyone can manipulate a statistic to suit their agenda, of course.

Nobody is arguing that he'd been brilliant this season, but I just think it's stupid to write him off and "sell him for £10m" where we'd have just lost £20m in a year. The ability is there; I was watching Valencia for the four years he was there and some of the goals he scored were unbelievable. It's impossible to put a finger on WHY he's been so poor this year, but given the chance I fully believe he'll come good.

And for what it's worth, I am 100% not an Ade fan, I have never rated the bloke. When he's scoring goals I'll keep shut about him, but really I just don't see what he offers the majority of the time. Given the choice of who to sell, i'd get rid of Ade (oh no, shoot me!).

Can we stop acting like it's fucking incredible that he scored a few penalties? You could easily make a case that we have other guys in the squad who are just as capable from the spot. Without Kane we'd be 1 pt off, without Soldado you can only realistically say that we absolutely owe 3 points to him because of his goal against Cardiff.

Yes, he has the technical ability to be a great striker in another league. However, he has absolutely NOTHING else in his locker. I just don't think you can only be a technical striker and be a success in the BPL. He's completely limited, and in order for him to be a success we would have to build our team entirely around servicing him. There is absolutely no way we would ever finish top four if we decided to go that route. There are so many quality, athletic centerbacks in this league that would (and have) leave him for dead.

Back
Top Bottom