Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You need to grow up. Look at Liverpool, Suarez wanted to leave hardcore, had strops etc but long term it worked out. And our fans wanted Jan to leave because of how he looked in a tunnel? You NEVER sell your best players. Ever. Suck it up buttercup. Winning is the best emotion and wipes slates clean. You stick with Soldado and get rid of Paulinho's, Jans and Ade's because of stops and incidents and you will be frothing because you are mid table.
I think Jan was a bit more than 'didn't look serious in the tunnel' to be honest - although for what it's worth I still think he's our best defender and believe he just couldn't give a shit with Tim in charge; fair enough.

If you think Paulinho's one of our "best players" based on his form this year then you're deluded, he's been terrible bar about 4 games before he was injured by Charlie Adam. If you're basing it on previous club/international form then your argument about Soldado is invalid. I wasn't arguing that Soldado has been brilliant this season, just that there's a good player in there somewhere, and it would be stupid to spunk £20m+ by cutting our losses on him now. And I will stand by that.

Can we stop acting like it's fucking incredible that he scored a few penalties? You could easily make a case that we have other guys in the squad who are just as capable from the spot. Without Kane we'd be 1 pt off, without Soldado you can only realistically say that we absolutely owe 3 points to him because of his goal against Cardiff.

Yes, he has the technical ability to be a great striker in another league. However, he has absolutely NOTHING else in his locker. I just don't think you can only be a technical striker and be a success in the BPL. He's completely limited, and in order for him to be a success we would have to build our team entirely around servicing him. There is absolutely no way we would ever finish top four if we decided to go that route. There are so many quality, athletic centerbacks in this league that would (and have) leave him for dead.
When was I acting as if it was incredible to score penalties? I said anybody could find statistics to suit their agenda and provided evidence for that.. As somebody alluded to, van Nistelrooy wasn't particularly quick, or a target man.. Neither is Suarez. Intelligence goes a long way in football, although I do believe he's stifled by the high line. If we revert back to the CL season where our football was based on quick counter-attacks, I think he'd flourish with that space behind defenders. As it is, if we are intent on walking it into the net via 50+ passes around the penalty area, then no, he isn't going to be a brilliant striker. But then apart from Messi, who else could you name that would be in that environment?

I think Jan was a bit more than 'didn't look serious in the tunnel' to be honest - although for what it's worth I still think he's our best defender and believe he just couldn't give a shit with Tim in charge; fair enough.

If you think Paulinho's one of our "best players" based on his form this year then you're deluded, he's been terrible bar about 4 games before he was injured by Charlie Adam. If you're basing it on previous club/international form then your argument about Soldado is invalid. I wasn't arguing that Soldado has been brilliant this season, just that there's a good player in there somewhere, and it would be stupid to spunk £20m+ by cutting our losses on him now. And I will stand by that.

When was I acting as if it was incredible to score penalties? I said anybody could find statistics to suit their agenda and provided evidence for that.. As somebody alluded to, van Nistelrooy wasn't particularly quick, or a target man.. Neither is Suarez. Intelligence goes a long way in football, although I do believe he's stifled by the high line. If we revert back to the CL season where our football was based on quick counter-attacks, I think he'd flourish with that space behind defenders. As it is, if we are intent on walking it into the net via 50+ passes around the penalty area, then no, he isn't going to be a brilliant striker. But then apart from Messi, who else could you name that would be in that environment?

Suarez is incredibly quick. He may not have top end speed, but he's absolutely quick. And far, far stronger both technically AND physically than Soldado. When was the last time Van Nistelrooy played in the BPL? Tactics change, athletes change. Soldado? Counter attacking football? You do realize you need to possess at least a modicum of speed to be successful counter attacking, right?

You refuted my statistics by providing faulty statistics of your own, though-- yes, Soldado scored penalties... but you cannot 100% without a doubt say he's the only player who would have banged them in, therefore the only points I feel he truly won us on his own were the 3 against Cardiff. Ergo, Kane has had about as successful a league campaign as Soldado has. I just don't understand how you could possible defend the fact that our 26 million pound signing has scored less from open play than a 20 year old who will probably never go for half that pricetag.

Again, I don't think you all realize that in order for Soldado to be successful for us we will need to build our entire team around constantly feeding him the ball. You think Mourinho/Martinez/Wenger/Pellegrini/Rodgers/Van Gaal (if ManU happen to sign him) wouldn't be able to figure out how to stop that? Players in this league are incredibly gifted athletically, it would literally require one athlete to shut him down for an entire game. He is simply not the type of player to bring others into the game, meaning our other creative players would suffer as a result. He is absolutely not the right striker to carry us forward. There is ABSOLUTELY a reason Adebayor was brought back into the fold, and ABSOLUTELY a reason Adebayor is by far a better fit for our squad as a striker. You talk about Ade not "contributing enough"... what is exactly that you've seen Soldado ever contribute besides a few penalties, some cute passes and a whole bunch of shanked shots?

It's getting harder to judge Soldado as the season has progressed because he's been played less and less. When he was still being prominently deployed in the starting XI every single game I was saying that he had above average off ball movement and one of the best crosses on the team. This was before Eriksen had really broken out as the obvious best offensive player we have.

I really wish that he spoke English, cause I would love to see more interviews with him.

Ade not "contributing enough"... what is exactly that you've seen Soldado ever contribute besides a few penalties, some cute passes and a whole bunch of shanked shots?

I see Soldado working his ass of most of the time, may not be scoring, but the effort is there. I see Ade getting lazy, AGAIN. He did a job for us, proved everyone wrong when re-introduced, but is about to prove everyone right again unfortunately, I hope we do not give him an extension honestly.
His wages alone over the course of a year will pay for a decent replacement...
Soldado missed some sitters, yes, but I recall so did Ade whenever AVB tried to introduce him, everyone forgot about that though... right?
Soldado will score goals for us, whether it merits 26mil, who knows.

If you think that Ade is worth 100,000 + quid a WEEK then keep promoting him I personaly would not pay him half that amount at this time if he keeps dodging the ball deliberatley at free kicks, lazy self promoting git.

Haha. That's a good one. You can count the games on one hand where he had an okayish kinda sorta made an effort game.

Kicking goal posts and grabbing throats does not win you games.
What I see in Soldado is something I have never seen in Adebayor at Spurs, passion.
What you have listed is frustration, which is not surprising after scoring 30 odd goals last season.

The lazy magical assist in the previous game got us three points.
So Soldado's assists have not been magical?

Can we stop acting like it's fucking incredible that he scored a few penalties? You could easily make a case that we have other guys in the squad who are just as capable from the spot. Without Kane we'd be 1 pt off, without Soldado you can only realistically say that we absolutely owe 3 points to him because of his goal against Cardiff.

Yes, he has the technical ability to be a great striker in another league. However, he has absolutely NOTHING else in his locker. I just don't think you can only be a technical striker and be a success in the BPL. He's completely limited, and in order for him to be a success we would have to build our team entirely around servicing him. There is absolutely no way we would ever finish top four if we decided to go that route. There are so many quality, athletic centerbacks in this league that would (and have) leave him for dead.
I honestly believe we haven't seen the best of RS. Scoring goals is his job (I understand that) and this he has failed to do this season. However, he showed all the ability and knowhow to be a good team player and the goal scorer we need at Spurs next season. It's all been a bit of a mess this season with players playing their own game? He needs to be in a good, balanced and functioning team. it must be a nightmare having Lennon for example, . supplying the ball? will he pass, will he cross it, will he get it right?

Suarez is incredibly quick. He may not have top end speed, but he's absolutely quick. And far, far stronger both technically AND physically than Soldado. When was the last time Van Nistelrooy played in the BPL? Tactics change, athletes change. Soldado? Counter attacking football? You do realize you need to possess at least a modicum of speed to be successful counter attacking, right?

You refuted my statistics by providing faulty statistics of your own, though-- yes, Soldado scored penalties... but you cannot 100% without a doubt say he's the only player who would have banged them in, therefore the only points I feel he truly won us on his own were the 3 against Cardiff. Ergo, Kane has had about as successful a league campaign as Soldado has. I just don't understand how you could possible defend the fact that our 26 million pound signing has scored less from open play than a 20 year old who will probably never go for half that pricetag.

Again, I don't think you all realize that in order for Soldado to be successful for us we will need to build our entire team around constantly feeding him the ball. You think Mourinho/Martinez/Wenger/Pellegrini/Rodgers/Van Gaal (if ManU happen to sign him) wouldn't be able to figure out how to stop that? Players in this league are incredibly gifted athletically, it would literally require one athlete to shut him down for an entire game. He is simply not the type of player to bring others into the game, meaning our other creative players would suffer as a result. He is absolutely not the right striker to carry us forward. There is ABSOLUTELY a reason Adebayor was brought back into the fold, and ABSOLUTELY a reason Adebayor is by far a better fit for our squad as a striker. You talk about Ade not "contributing enough"... what is exactly that you've seen Soldado ever contribute besides a few penalties, some cute passes and a whole bunch of shanked shots?
Good opinion but wrong on many levels. RS is far more football technically minded than Suarez.

Last edited:
Soldado has had a bad season in a team full of players who generally haven't fared much better, relatively speaking and with exceptions. As a unit it seems that everyone's confidence has been dented.

Soldado has had a bad season in a team full of players who generally haven't fared much better, relatively speaking and with exceptions. As a unit it seems that everyone's confidence has been dented.
Which is why any rash calls to sell players is just that: rash. No one has covered themselves in glory (or even had the chance) this season. There were howls for Lloris's head after the Etihad, and recall how many weeks after his maybe concussion fans were still suggesting he was somehow not quite yet right. Iirc, he got dog's abuse down at the pub in December among the gathered fans.

And golden boy Eriksen didn't set the league alight with his first touch, either. He clearly needed time to adapt as well, which suggests that AVB's choice to start him off in Europe was not so terrible.

Even BAE made a mess of this season and he wasn't even in the squad.

Which is why any rash calls to sell players is just that: rash. No one has covered themselves in glory (or even had the chance) this season. There were howls for Lloris's head after the Etihad, and recall how many weeks after his maybe concussion fans were still suggesting he was somehow not quite yet right. Iirc, he got dog's abuse down at the pub in December among the gathered fans.

And golden boy Eriksen didn't set the league alight with his first touch, either. He clearly needed time to adapt as well, which suggests that AVB's choice to start him off in Europe was not so terrible.

Even BAE made a mess of this season and he wasn't even in the squad.

It's not rash to say we should sell Soldado. He's 29 this month, we could still get a reasonable fee for him in the summer.
If he dies on his arse again next season we'll have a 30 year old that has failed in England.
It'd be rash to say we should sell Lamela.

Last edited:
I honest blame the management for lack of success tbh. I don't think he's been utilised well.

Hell, if you even look at his wing play in the following video, even a 4-3-3 madrid style with Soldado as a left winger he could be far more productive than anyone else has been this season.

Some bad misses, but it's been down to luck and he'll be another Torres in that he will need fans behind him to do well, imo. Very much a confidence striker.

Also, if you look at his form the season before it's easy to see he's not getting the right service.

He's not a "tap in" type of player, looks far more like a Spurs striker than you'd believe - we're just not playing like a spurs team.

Clever through balls, well delivered crosses, getting through behind the defence... all the kind of service that's been lacking this season.

Back
Top Bottom