Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

aJPd6rO.gif

Balls I to the box on a consistent basis, if we had wingers that could pick a cross or a pass I think he'd get 15-20 quite easily, the problem last season I think was service. Regardless of how good you are I've seen it time and again when a strikers head drops, if you don't get the balls you make less runs, find less space etc and it's a vicious circle from there. I think he'll be okay as long as other issues are addressed.

Ade got on the end of plenty of crosses #justsayin:adethumbup:

I noticed in the second half of the season that Soldado looked like he was almost trying not to end up in situations where he could miss, not getting into the zones he normally would thrive in.

I don't blame him, due to the pressures, but I couldn't help but feel that Sherwood did perhaps the minimum possible to help Soldado's confidence - it seems very coincidental when a departing manager's key signing flops due to the new regime not putting enough into helping them.

I think he'll do well this season

I noticed in the second half of the season that Soldado looked like he was almost trying not to end up in situations where he could miss, not getting into the zones he normally would thrive in.

I don't blame him, due to the pressures, but I couldn't help but feel that Sherwood did perhaps the minimum possible to help Soldado's confidence - it seems very coincidental when a departing manager's key signing flops due to the new regime not putting enough into helping them.

I think he'll do well this season

Hilarious....Soldado was a flop from day one...you think he flopped when Sherwood took over. I genuinely believe that you think you can change history by writing a fake version.

You say he looked "like he was almost trying not to end up in situations where he could miss, not getting into the zones he normally would thrive in."

The you say you dont blame him.......a 26M pound striker, that you think is playing shit on purpose, and you dont blame him?

Laughable stuff.

Just to be clear, quoting people and adding adjectives doesn't make your opinions valid.

I always think that if a person has to get personal in an argument, it means they're lacking in conviction.

Whichever way you look at it, Soldado had 9 goals and 2 assists in 15 games or so until the change of management - apparently under a crap manager and a terrible team. Apparently that was a goal drought too, so Gibbsy reads in the paper.

Are you about to say that you are not implying he played shit on purpose?

Despite claiming that you think he was deliberately not getting on the end of crosses and passes in the box?

He didn't do it on purpose at all, it would be more psychological and down to confidence.

He didn't have confidence because he a turd of a manager playing sunday league tactics who then dropped him for a reserve striker the moment he scored a goal, proceeding to play him only for the last 10 mins of most matches.

It's almost believable that Sherwood intended to destroy Soldado's confidence. I fully believe he'll come good for Poch.

Why do you think there have been so many Soldado/Lamela pictures going around? Sure, they speak the same language, but how many 29 year olds do you know that enjoy spending that much time with a 22 year old? I guarantee that Poch came in and told those two to spend a copious amount of time together. The more time they spend together the better unit they will become.

Would 15 mil be a fair price right now? Yeah, it would be. Do I want to see Soldado leave? Not in the slightest. We will never be able to get the money we paid for him back. However, we might be able to get over 15 goals. And if you're going to take such a massive loss in money, you might as well be damn sure that loss was worth it. If Soldado comes good the thing everyone will be saying is that the best move of the summer was Levy NOT letting Soldado go.

Soldado seemed to be testing the waters last season. He seemed humbled by the Premier League and new surroundings. Hopefully he is pissed off/ferociously focused this year. Would really like to see him come out with a brace against Wet Spam.

I think patience will pay off for management, we the fan base, and Soldado himself this season. Fifteen to twenty goals is hardly out of the question. I think Poch squeezes the most out of players (Soldado and Lamela come to mind, as mentioned previously in this thread) we saw very little of last season.

He didn't do it on purpose at all, it would be more psychological and down to confidence.

He didn't have confidence because he a turd of a manager playing sunday league tactics who then dropped him for a reserve striker the moment he scored a goal, proceeding to play him only for the last 10 mins of most matches.

It's almost believable that Sherwood intended to destroy Soldado's confidence. I fully believe he'll come good for Poch.

You seem to be forgetting August to mid December....you know. When Soldado was also shit.

Maybe Sherwood dropped him in a personal attempt TO DESTROY SOLDADO!!!!!!!!!!! :bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley::bentley:

Or maybe he simply saw that he wasnt scoring, so tried our other fit and healthy striker, who banged in a fuck load of goals, played well, and kept Soldado out of the team...?
:harryhmm:

Who knows?

He may come good under Poch. We all hope so if he's still here, obviously.

No need to re-write history in order to back Soldado though. He was shit last season, and he needs to do better. Its as simple as that.

Come on now guys times up, need to rotate to the Adebayor thread again for the next 2 days..... then maybe a spot of pointless Paulinho speculation on how well he will do?

Perfect, away you go!!!!!

:adestare::soldadowtf::sandro::paulinhowtf::pochsulk:Anything can happen, and probably won't

How about we just close this topic until next may and re-open it to see who is proven right? Then half you pricks can be smug and the other half can kill themselves.

would love to close this thread down but you know what will happen, he will get 15/16 goals, just enough to produce ANOTHER 600 pages of debate

would love to close this thread down but you know what will happen, he will get 15/16 goals, just enough to produce ANOTHER 600 pages of debate

It shouldn't need debate - he's got a great attitude, offers a lot to the team, and yet the biggest negative posters feel they are allowed to attack the good guys, whilst no one can touch their favs.

The stats don't lie. Here, from Gibb's favoured "Prem" stats, is some of our key players listed out for their 2013/14 performance.

Paulinho - 30 Games, 6 Goals, 2 Assists - 2375 minutes played
Lennon - 27 Games, 1 Goal, 5 Assists - 2177 minutes played
Eriksen - 25 Games, 6 Goals, 9 Assists - 1975 minutes played
Soldado - 28 Games, 6 Goals, 5 Assists - 1929 minutes played
Dembélé - 28 Games, 1 Goal, 2 Assists - 1816 minutes played
Adebayor - 21 Games, 11 Goals, 5 Assists - 1805 minutes played
Sigurdsson - 25 Games, 5 goals, 0 Assists - 1278 minutes played

Looking at goal contribution, where a goal or assist is made (which adds to the team performance), what does this mean? Well in rank, you'd have no valid reason for ignoring the contribution Soldado made... the two players above him were "players of the season" in most people's eyes.

Adebayor - Goal contribution every 112.81 mins
Eriksen - Goal contribution every 131.67 mins
Soldado - Goal contribution every 175.36 mins
Sigurdsson - Goal contribution every 255.6 mins
Paulinho - Goal contribution every 296.88 mins
Lennon - Goal contribution every 362.83 mins
Dembélé - Goal contribution every 605.33 mins

Back
Top Bottom