Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im just sitting here thinking "Soldado is a possible 30 goal a season man, surely he can score 20 next season"
And that is what is getting me through the days until next season starts.

I know the misery of last season has subsided now for me, all I can imagine is a baking hot day and Solly smashing the ball home in off the bar in the 89th minute against West Ham in August, massive celebrations, everybody, even Hugo running into the crowd - fuck you caravan cocks

Can't wait!

You are not confused at all. You know my point. Stop pretending otherwise.

And why mention Lineker? What's the point? If soldado had a prem goals return like him I would not be questioning his worth.

If you are going to be an attacker that is light off the ball, you better bring goals or assists. Gary did that in spades.

We've been through it countless times. Who else did we talk about? Attackers who provided little to justify their worth in the prem? Lennon? Shit goals and assists. Townsend? Shit goal and no assists and what was the symptom? Our flanks were wide open.

So do me a favor? Stop pretending I don't have a valid point because we got torn apart off the ball and got embarrassed.

Our prem goal difference speaks volumes about the rot in the club.

You're not going to judge Sandro, Paulinho or Vertonghen for their shit efforts last season, but you'll easily condemn Townsend and Soldado in their first seasons in the team?

P.S. You don't have a valid point, inserting random tactical gibberish doesn't support your nonsense

P.P.S....

And why mention Lineker? What's the point? If soldado had a prem goals return like him I would not be questioning his worth.

Lineker left spurs the season before the Prem started, so Soldado has 6 more Prem goals than him. Time to stop questioning his worth :adelol:

BTW: Did the press watch a different player? He was not exactly labeled as a player who did a lot of good linkup work etc etc from the press. There were way more flop, disaster etc headlines than ones praising his impact on a game.

Assessing a player's performance based on rags' sensationalist headlines? Oh dear, Gibbsy

Im just sitting here thinking "Soldado is a possible 30 goal a season man, surely he can score 20 next season"

I just can't see it happening. I've seen nothing off him to even think he'll get 10. I really would love to see him do well but if we hold onto him and he's shit again this season we'll be hard pressed to even get him loaned out to QPR ffs.

Yep, I'm reckoning the same thing. Our last season was an absolute shambles and yes he missed some golden opportunities but I've got a feeling he'll get 15 to 20 this year in the league...

Yes. I disagree. Soldados linkup play was terrible. Resulting in a criminally low attempts at goal for someone who was often the sole striker under avb. When other strikers were brought in to help him he could not link up with Defoe or kane under avb. His linkup with the wings was even worse.

The only linkup he had with the goal was when he kicked the post in frustration.
Terrible link up.. Indeed..

I,m putting my faith (perhaps to much?) in Pochettino to get a tune out of pretty much everyone that stays for the start of 14/15. Those that he can't/dose'nt, won't see me blaming him either.

Thanks for proving my point. Those highlights = 2 weeks worth from top 4 marquee strikers we expect to compete with.

Even Soldado's harshest critics gave him credit for his link-up play last season. Those were some highlights but he was often very involved in attack. You have to take into consideration that strikers like Bobby run on confidence. He's used to scoring some 30 goals per season, when suddenly things were not working (system, new league, new language, personal tragedy, etc) of course he's not going to be the striker he was the previous season. He never seemed to give up, even though i'll admit he had a few really poor games.

Discrediting everything about him as a footballer is just ridiculous. If given another chance, I'm certain he'll repay it with plenty of goals. You need to consider the fact that our whole team was playing below expectations - it's just much easier to pick on the new star-signing striker because that's where it becomes the most apparent, from the lack of goals.

You're not going to judge Sandro, Paulinho or Vertonghen for their shit efforts last season, but you'll easily condemn Townsend and Soldado in their first seasons in the team?

I did judge them and criticized their season. Even so, good or bad you knew they were on the pitch and mucked in.

Plus Sandro and Jan have had excellent prem seasons in the past unlike Townsend and soldado.

Plus plus Paulinho scored more goals in open play than Soldado. Which is tough when your main striker is about as inclusive as Defoe when it comes to creativiy.

Fair play though. You're scoffing at my opinion comparing Soldado and Townsend to Jan, Sandro etc?

Jan?

Vs

One goal zero prem assists Townsend.

Erm. I know you claimed Jan could never be a top defender because of his attitude, but you really need to up your scoffs to something sane. Yes Paulinho had a disappointing season, but scoring 6 times more prem goals than Townsend =

What was your point again?

Way to work those angles dude!

If you want to go further down that rabbit hole, Townsend fucked everyone including Jan, Sandro, Soldado and Paulinho for being a liability in attack and defense.

Straight off the bat you are wrong. I have admitted sandro and co had bad seasons. I'm just not a knee jerker like you who wanted Jan out.

My opinion on Townsend was not knee jerk. As you know I claimed he would be a liability years ago. Soldado I just got wrong and admitted I was wrong about him in the winter. Fuck knows how he got so many goals.

Balls I to the box on a consistent basis, if we had wingers that could pick a cross or a pass I think he'd get 15-20 quite easily, the problem last season I think was service. Regardless of how good you are I've seen it time and again when a strikers head drops, if you don't get the balls you make less runs, find less space etc and it's a vicious circle from there. I think he'll be okay as long as other issues are addressed.

Even Soldado's harshest critics gave him credit for his link-up play last season. Those were some highlights but he was often very involved in attack. You have to take into consideration that strikers like Bobby run on confidence. He's used to scoring some 30 goals per season, when suddenly things were not working (system, new league, new language, personal tragedy, etc) of course he's not going to be the striker he was the previous season. He never seemed to give up, even though i'll admit he had a few really poor games.

Discrediting everything about him as a footballer is just ridiculous. If given another chance, I'm certain he'll repay it with plenty of goals. You need to consider the fact that our whole team was playing below expectations - it's just much easier to pick on the new star-signing striker because that's where it becomes the most apparent, from the lack of goals.

It's not just the lack of goals. I'm seeing relegation levels of team involvement. He could go missing for entire games. Hell he could go missing for months Lennon style.

Even Eriksen was being dropped as ineffectual when Soldado was the main focus. Eriksens vision could not link up with dildado. Poor old Holtbys linkup play with him was so bad he got loaned out. The less said about our wingers and him the better.

He was marshaled out of the game by the minnows of the prem and it was embarrassing.

Even Soldado's harshest critics gave him credit for his link-up play last season.

I disagree. Strongly. If anything his disastrous link up play was largely responsible for poisoning the atmosphere at the lane for the first half of last season.

Despite massive amounts if possession, there was never an air of expectation in the final third. Just groans and face palms because nothing promising was being generated.

Our fruitless possession and worst goal difference out of the teams challenging for fourth was real.

Soldado being our number one striker was real.

We went from bale and vdv to Soldado and Townsend. Frustration incarnate.
You're not really making a point here or possibly a very laboured one.
We went from Bale and VDV under a different manager and tactics, to Bale doing it all on his own (sorry there were 5 goals from Ade), to a whole new front line minus a £70 million forward.
We also had questionable tactics and team selection from the AVB and this is apparently all the fault of Soldado.
Slagging off the 21 year old Townsend in his first full season when he has done pretty well on the international stage is strange.
I think its fair to say Soldado didnt have a good season, not too many did, but to say it was mainly his fault we couldn't score or create is way off the mark.

Back
Top Bottom