Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It shouldn't need debate - he's got a great attitude, offers a lot to the team, and yet the biggest negative posters feel they are allowed to attack the good guys, whilst no one can touch their favs.

The stats don't lie. Here, from Gibb's favoured "Prem" stats, is some of our key players listed out for their 2013/14 performance.

Paulinho - 30 Games, 6 Goals, 2 Assists - 2375 minutes played
Lennon - 27 Games, 1 Goal, 5 Assists - 2177 minutes played
Eriksen - 25 Games, 6 Goals, 9 Assists - 1975 minutes played
Soldado - 28 Games, 6 Goals, 5 Assists - 1929 minutes played
Dembélé - 28 Games, 1 Goal, 2 Assists - 1816 minutes played
Adebayor - 21 Games, 11 Goals, 5 Assists - 1805 minutes played
Sigurdsson - 25 Games, 5 goals, 0 Assists - 1278 minutes played

Looking at goal contribution, where a goal or assist is made (which adds to the team performance), what does this mean? Well in rank, you'd have no valid reason for ignoring the contribution Soldado made... the two players above him were "players of the season" in most people's eyes.

Adebayor - Goal contribution every 112.81 mins
Eriksen - Goal contribution every 131.67 mins
Soldado - Goal contribution every 175.36 mins
Sigurdsson - Goal contribution every 255.6 mins
Paulinho - Goal contribution every 296.88 mins
Lennon - Goal contribution every 362.83 mins
Dembélé - Goal contribution every 605.33 mins

I like soldado as a player even last season, the trouble is the sheer amount he missed, and for a set of fans that have dissed chelsea/lampard to the hilt for penalties, its tough when he was living off them to support his stats

The trouble is Tottenham is ready made for absolute knife edge debate, its incredibly annoying that people would even bother dissecting a season that made absolutely no sense at all and was anal rape for all fans

"Come what May" we will know for sure.... or he will get 17 goals, 8 of which are penalties and here we go again

I like soldado as a player even last season, the trouble is the sheer amount he missed, and for a set of fans that have dissed chelsea/lampard to the hilt for penalties, its tough when he was living off them to support his stats

The trouble is Tottenham is ready made for absolute knife edge debate, its incredibly annoying that people would even bother dissecting a season that made absolutely no sense at all and was anal rape for all fans

"Come what May" we will know for sure.... or he will get 17 goals, 8 of which are penalties and here we go again

Have you noticed that the phrase 'goals from open play' was invented for the guy?

I dunno why people sharpen the knives for him - he can't help the amount he was signed for, and from what I believe, he didn't demand a ransom as a wage either. His attitude will have a better impact on the team in the forthcoming season than, as you rightly say, his performance in a shitty season ever would.

Slags off Ade and Sherwood....fine

Slags off Soldado and AVB.....negative troll

Then talks about people having "favourites"....
:paulinhofacepalm:

91835-is-he-smart-or-is-he-stupid-gi-LTOr.gif

It shouldn't need debate - he's got a great attitude, offers a lot to the team, and yet the biggest negative posters feel they are allowed to attack the good guys, whilst no one can touch their favs.

The stats don't lie. Here, from Gibb's favoured "Prem" stats, is some of our key players listed out for their 2013/14 performance.

Looking at goal contribution, where a goal or assist is made (which adds to the team performance), what does this mean? Well in rank, you'd have no valid reason for ignoring the contribution Soldado made... the two players above him were "players of the season" in most people's eyes.

Then posts essay on it

1929 minutes played and he went 1032 of them without a goal from open play. Don't flash his stats like they mean anything... all you had to do was tune into any number of games last season to see that he was a total dud on the pitch.

all you had to do was tune into any number of games last season to see that he was a total dud on the pitch.

The thing I dont understand is why some people feel that saying this means you cant back Soldado next season..like they need to pretend he was good in order to get behind him. Bizarre.

Im fully behind him and want to see him under Poch.

But he was shit last season. If only the world wasnt so black and white to them.

The thing I dont understand is why some people feel that saying this means you cant back Soldado next season..like they need to pretend he was good in order to get behind him. Bizarre.

Im fully behind him and want to see him under Poch.

But he was shit last season. If only the world wasnt so black and white to them.

He had a bad season. Absolutely. I'm not gonna defend the guys season. I will however defend his throwing of bows. Gotta spice things up every now and then.

Thanks for posting his shit goals for a marquee 25 million striker. Let's hope we win some pens next season so he can perhaps match his output next time we miss out on cl football due to lack of goals eh?

But his attitude is great. Because why? He looked like he was angry that one time he missed a sitter? Kicked a goal post? Oh the feels.

I wonder if Blackburn and Newcastle fans slag off how many goals 'not scored from open play' Alan Shearer scored for them.....

Goals are goals, I appreciate the points he contributed to in a season where practically the whole team played shit.

I can imagine the world from the naysayers...

"Well done on scoring from all those free kicks and penalties today, but we still drew. I spoke to the Premier League and they said goals only count when they're scored from open play. Sorry about that!"

1929 minutes played and he went 1032 of them without a goal from open play. Don't flash his stats like they mean anything... all you had to do was tune into any number of games last season to see that he was a total dud on the pitch.
Almost half the minutes played he scored?
I like him and he showed a very good attitude which is hard to find these days. That's good enough for me to give him full support this season. He will need to produce quickly to keep supporters onside or he could find himself gone by Xmas.

Last edited:
Almost half the minutes played he scored?

That's a very gross misinterpretation of what I posted. Going 1032 minutes inbetween goals from open play doesn't mean he was scoring goals the other 897 minutes, it means he literally went about half his minutes played without scoring one from open play... giving him a grand total of... bum da da bum... two premier league goals that were not penalties.

That being said, I'm with you in that I want him to have a good season. That doesn't mean I can't criticize how absolutely poor he was last season.

Last edited:
Don't know how I feel about the rumors of selling him for a loss. I think Soldado is a very good talent and should be successful. I don't think he was worth what we payed for him, but it's too late now.

We do risk losing more money on him if he continues to flounder in the PL, but we might just have to take that chance in order to invest money in other areas and not have to spend it on a ST.

In truth, I think all Spurs players get lumped into one of two categories because of how bad the team was last season. It seems many think either most of our players deserve another chance because of what went down last year, and others seem to think most of our players should basically be shipped out fpr tje same reason.

Soldado's goal scoring history is obviously not a fluke. You can't fake the years of production he's had. You can't just get lucky year after year and put up the goal numbers he has.

Unless we are going to go out and get a very excellent and highly talented striker like many consider Lukaku, many considered Benteke last year, and many consider Bony now, I don't think it would be worth selling Soldado. Remy worries me, if it meant losing the possible upside of Soldado. The same goes for Kruse.

I'm certainly not his biggest fan, but unlike some of our other players, Soldado has a ton of talent that just needs rekindling.

I can imagine the world from the naysayers...

"Well done on scoring from all those free kicks and penalties today, but we still drew. I spoke to the Premier League and they said goals only count when they're scored from open play. Sorry about that!"

So in short you would be happy if we signed Carlton Cole for 26M and his return was the same as Soldado's...

Right got it.

Last edited:
Would take £15 million if the offer came in, played so many games last year and I felt gave little to no threat in most games, Ade as well was hit and miss great when Sherwood came in then tailed a bit towards the end, only Kane at the end of the season provided the kind of centre forward play I was hoping for, intelligent, aggressive with a good instinct for goal but I feel he may be to young still to rely on.

if we can get £15 million for Soldado and maybe £5-10 for Ade I would take it, Remy is going for £11 million apparently and Bony for around £20 million with Kane as a young deputy that would be a great strike force put some fear into rivals.

I suppose my fear is that even if Poch is a good manager if Soldado continues to fail and Ade blows hot and cold as normal it will leave us trailing significantly, all our rivals will be much stronger next season and to stay still is to fall behind. I understand why people want to stick with him and hope that he might come good, but all my feeling are that his lack of strength and speed in the prem is proving fatal.

I wonder if Blackburn and Newcastle fans slag off how many goals 'not scored from open play' Alan Shearer scored for them.....

Err....no one is slagging off the goals Soldado scored from the spot......they are slating the lack of everything else. How is this confusing to you?

And Shearer scored 260 goals for those clubs. Guess what? The vast majority were not penalties.

Back
Top Bottom