Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Meh. I'll wait to I hear something from the clubs themselves before I cream myself.

Liking this talking of him being a "great professional" though in contrast to Paul Lambert's "Benteke still have to mature mentally".

Are we seriously arguing if contracts matter?

Im seriously questioning what is the point of signing for five years, when the sole purpose is to be sold. The contracts mean nothing in terms of the player actually playing for the club he has signed for.

So why bother? Players are free to move whenever they want or we wouldnt be worrying about Bale.

My point is that if the player has 3, or 2 or 5 years left, he shouldnt have a choice if the club doesnt want to sell. He should have to buy himself out, but we all know thats not the case.

So I dont see the point in signing a five year deal when its fake, and the reason is to get a move for more money.

If the market were based on players buying themselves out then the market would be considerably less than it is now since there would be no comparable fee competiton. It is in the interests of clubs to sign player to contracts because, in the event that the contract is to be broken early, they are financially compensated. That is what the transfer fee is. A compensation for asking a club to relinquish a player before their contract is out. To make it the player's burden would be akin to slavery. I mean, if one of us wants to quit our jobs we don't have to buy out our salary beforehand, do we? Why should a footballer?

So I dont see the point in signing a five year deal when its fake, and the reason is to get a move for more money.
Of the players on the current Spurs roster, I doubt that any of them signed the contract thinking, "I'll leverage this to get a higher transfer fee when I sod off in four weeks".

They sign contracts in order to earn wages. They sign extensions in order to continue earning wages, often at a higher rate. And they earn their wages. Furthermore, a five-year contract is an insurance policy, since it covers them in case of dips in form or massive injury. If the contract were actually "meaningless", then David Bentley wouldn't be rich.*

When the club feels like it can shift them (see what @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon clearly said), then the fact of the contract increases their value to both clubs.

If contracts were so meaningless, then Levy would not hustle like he does to avoid players who are in the final year of their contracts, when they are lame ducks providing very little future value to the club. But every player is expected to provide value in some way, either in a transfer fee, or merch, or by fucking scoring goals (or keeping them out of the net).

* When Major League Baseball was ordered to introduce free agency, players wanted to have contracts be only a year long. Classic pound foolish behaviour, since players all believed that they would invariably be better (and thus earn more) the following season. The owners and players compromised on guaranteed contracts for a fixed-length, and players have made out like bandits, earning millions while nursing injuries that have pushed them out of the sport for good.

He should have to buy himself out, but we all know thats not the case.

In a way this happens already, except that it's not the player who buys out the contract, but the club he is moving to.

A player with 5 years on his contract is always more expensive than a player with 1 year left, seeing as the selling club want to be compensated for 5 years of service they are missing out on from this player, rather than just 1 year.

Of the players on the current Spurs roster, I doubt that any of them signed the contract thinking, "I'll leverage this to get a higher transfer fee when I sod off in four weeks".

I was responding to the claim that Luke Shaw is still very much available two weeks after signing a 5yr deal..which is why I think that 5yr deal is a sham.

When the club feels like it can shift them (see what @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon clearly said), then the fact of the contract increases their value to both clubs.

I have no idea what he said. His post's dont appear in my world so not sure why he answer's mine.

I reckon he'll get EasyJet flight EZY5222 from Valencia to London Gatwick at 13.00 today, medical tomorrow and then the announcement on Monday or Tuesday.

Am I ITK yet? :ap:

He's trained for 1 day with Valencia since coming back from the Confed's. Even if he signed today I think it would be Espanyol at the earliest we'd see him play

He's trained for 1 day with Valencia since coming back from the Confed's. Even if he signed today I think it would be Espanyol at the earliest we'd see him play

Meh.

How about Paulinho though...could he possibly play?

(I shouldn't be too concerned, even though it's stated as a Spurs XI, last time we played the Dons there were a fair few first team players there)

Back
Top Bottom