Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a complete and utter dumbass...
But he's 0UR complete and utter dumbass!!
Why couldn't it have been Hojberg or Gil who said it... Even more reason to get them out asap!

View: https://x.com/TakingTheBiss/status/1801679028618670344

This is relevant.

It doesn't excuse it but it is relevant.

Casual racism isn't acceptable but it doesn't warrant more attention than conscious poison that comes out the mouths of cunts like Farage or the wave of far-right politicians gaining ground across Europe.

I think 'casual' racism is on a par with how 'banter' is brushed under the carpet IF there are deeper rooted undertones..
People can say some truly awful things, but hide behind the 'banter blanket' and brush it away like it's nothing...

Casual assault, or Casual rape isn't a thing... Even if the perpetrator thinks it is...

Sticking 'casual' in front of any offence is merely trying to water it down and make it ok... It's not.

The Chelsea and West Ham fans who give us digs abuse every time we play will insist they're not anti Semitic, just anti Tottenham...
But the level of ignorance that is needed to hiss and zeig heil at another clubs' fans because of an assumed associated religion IS a problem! (Mind you, assuming most Chelsea fans are racist, is MY ignorance, and 'casually' lumping them all in with the same minority scum who actually ARE!)

BUT it doesn't necessarily make Bentancur a RACIST
.. it just highlights the lack of education that is STILL prevalent in SO many cultures.

But he's 0UR complete and utter dumbass!!
Why couldn't it have been Hojberg or Gil who said it... Even more reason to get them out asap!

I think 'casual' racism is on a par with how 'banter' is brushed under the carpet IF there are deeper rooted undertones..
People can say some truly awful things, but hide behind the 'banter blanket' and brush it away like it's nothing...

Casual assault, or Casual rape isn't a thing... Even if the perpetrator thinks it is...

Sticking 'casual' in front of any offence is merely trying to water it down and make it ok... It's not.

The Chelsea and West Ham fans who give us digs abuse every time we play will insist they're not anti Semitic, just anti Tottenham...
But the level of ignorance that is needed to hiss and zeig heil at another clubs' fans because of an assumed associated religion IS a problem! (Mind you, assuming most Chelsea fans are racist, is MY ignorance, and 'casually' lumping them all in with the same minority scum who actually ARE!)

BUT it doesn't necessarily make Bentancur a RACIST
.. it just highlights the lack of education that is STILL prevalent in SO many cultures.

Intent and context matters.

I hope people getting up in arms over this issue with Sonny start to challenge the use of the word Pikey on here. Be good not to have double standards. It’s why we are in this fucking mess of a world.

And going by the way this thread has gone this casual racism has to stop no?? Just because it’s acceptable here “among mates” it’s not really acceptable is it??

Let’s walk the walk here people. Let’s educate each other.

Maybe foul voters start needing to be issued for such blatant racism? Might head over to the West Ham thread now on my high horse.

Sounds wonderful to me all round.

I hope people getting up in arms over this issue with Sonny start to challenge the use of the word Pikey on here. Be good not to have double standards. It’s why we are in this fucking mess of a world.

And going by the way this thread has gone this casual racism has to stop no?? Just because it’s acceptable here “among mates” it’s not really acceptable is it??

Let’s walk the walk here people. Let’s educate each other.

Maybe foul voters start needing to be issued for such blatant racism? Might head over to the West Ham thread now on my high horse.
What about ne’er do well? Tinker? Do as you likey?

What about ne’er do well? Tinker? Do as you likey?

If pushed I’d go with the Dick Van Dykeys in a nod to that lovely east end born and bred fellow he portrayed in the Mary poppins film.

What a splendid chap he is. Just like those cheeky cockneys.

I believe they even sing a song about chimneys in his honour.

Loose ends?? Why translate? Their product range is theirs to name. Is The White Conpany only for white people? A front for The National Front? It’s just a name?
If they opened up in Spain would it become La Compania Blanca? Or could they keep their identity?

Like I said I used that word every day for decades and never thought twice about it.
And I feel sorry for people who don’t have the knowledge or brain power to realise that words like Azul, Blanco, Rojo, Verde and Negro are just all colours.

So if a Spanish company markets its products using those words is it a big deal?
Clearly in the world we now live in it is. Maybe long term the Spanish will need to change Negro to Nero just to please everyone.

We are pandering - akin to burning books in bible bashing towns.

You're too busy soapboxing and casting people as stupid (and strawmanning the shit out of what i did write) to explain the specific premise of the situation.

If I am a Spanish manufacturer that distributes internationally and my product slogan translates as "Only Shit Cunt Wankers Buy Our Crap" in another language you don't think it's just common sense to adjust the branding accordingly for that particular market?

.....You'd just stubbornly double down proclaiming "why should we pander to the English speaking world.... It means something else back home"?

That's just dumb.

You're too busy soapboxing and casting people as stupid (and strawmanning the shit out of what i did write) to explain the specific premise of the situation.

If I am a Spanish manufacturer that distributes internationally and my product slogan translates as "Only Shit Cunt Wankers Buy Our Crap" in another language you don't think it's just common sense to adjust the branding accordingly for that particular market?

.....You'd just stubbornly double down proclaiming "why should we pander to the English speaking world.... It means something else back home"?

That's just dumb.

You wrote in italics so it must mean something important.

And I leave you with this quote. It’s pretty much how I approach every day and tbh it rarely lets me down.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that.

You wrote in italics so it must mean something important.

And I leave you with this quote. It’s pretty much how I approach every day and tbh it rarely lets me down.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that.

One could indeed apply that to your part in this convo.

That's just dumb.
I’d get another job, mate. :ange-lol:

Two things strike me. One, the comments were racist. Two, in this day and age, he is as dumb as a box of rocks if he didn't realise it before opening his mouth.
bro check the day and age we are in does anybody think about shit before to comes out their mouth.
Remember if a wise man say something stupid it doesn’t make him a stupid man, if a stupid man says something smart it doesn’t make him a smart man

bro check the day and age we are in does anybody think about shit before to comes out their mouth.
Remember if a wise man say something stupid it doesn’t make him a stupid man, if a stupid man says something smart it doesn’t make him a smart man
If a racist man says something racist then it does make him a racist however.

Ignorance doesn't justify racism.

It's pretty funny how Latin American players get offended easily when they see someone making monkey gestures and yet these guys do this kind of things all the time, saying "it's just a joke".

These kinds of things happen over and over again from Latin American players every time there's a friendly in Korea/Japan.

-----

Examples:

Mexican ppl, for example, including their famous newscasters on TV, did the eye gesture to "thank" Korea and to say they are Korean "brothers" after they beat Germany to help Mexico advance in 2018 WC.

Chile players said "Open your eyes, retards" to random ppl on the street in Korea and when that got viral, they just said "it was just a joke". When they came back for another friendly, Valdes made eye gesture to his fans "as a joke".

Columbian player also did this eye gesture DURING a friendly match just because he got pissed his team was losing.

Valverde from Uruguay also did the eye gesture during a friendly. And he calls his agent "Chino" bc he has small eyes and he's short.

------

Imagine an Asian player said something racist about Vinicius. He prob would've held another conference and cried about it already, calling for "no room for racism".
Yeah, and you are probably clean trying to generalize about latin americans and saying Vinicius would be crying after suffering racism. You can't even spell colombian right and want to school us about latin american culture based on some random stuff footballers said. And it's not funny how someone get offended by monkey gestures, it's one of the worst things to do for someone that's black, because that's comparing them to some animal and that's directly related to justifying their slavery and the status of black people in our society until today, they lack of equality, oportunities, freedom, things that asians, despite also suffering racism (a lot less than black people), doesn't experience. All forms of racism are vile, but some are worse and racism towards black people ended in centuries of slavery, apartheid and relegated them to second class citizend in a lot of countries, but you reduced that struggle, in the end, in your hypotetic situation, by Vinicius (a player that got famous for protesting racism and being brave) moaning about racism (a vague moaning it seems, by the way you write it). Are you sure you are not racist too?

Last edited:
I have spent several years in East Africa, and I was often mistaken for other white men there...because, as they told me, we white "looks the same". Was that racist? I never took it that way. And it was also used as a banter some times when they don't remember the person clearly.
It's a fact that we struggle to see subtle differences where there are large differences that we're unfamiliar with. This is true for more cases of recognition than just people; it's true for animals, trees, rocks, cars...

We're simple and our brains look for quick, instantly recognisable features that will tell us how to act rather than become lunch, sick or slaughtered.

When I went to Asia, I couldn't tell you the different between Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian etc. But when I LEFT Asia, I could tell you all of them and, frankly, couldn't believe how obvious it was, for the most part. But, if I'd never been there, I'd still struggle.

FACT A: It is hard to tell the difference between people who have facial types/structure you're unfamiliar with.

This, on its own, isn't racism, it's psychology. It makes us efficient. Worth noting: Some people are really good at seeing facial differences, while others are terrible at it.

FACT B: Racism is thinking one race is inferior to another race.

We should not conflate one with the other. Dragging fact B into fact A via the 'but one leads to the other' is, quite honestly, valid, but only applies to prejudiced bigots who are going to get there any way they can. So leave it out.

When you think about it, people grouping all the 'but they do kinda look the same?' (A) ignoramuses with genuine racists views (B) is a similarly 'hind-brain' way of thinking, and we can do better at that, too.

In context: Bentancur's 'joke' was fucking stupid, but clearly a light-hearted reference to A rather than espousing B.

Last edited:
It's a fact that we struggle to see subtle differences where there are large differences that we're unfamiliar with. This is true for more cases of recognition than just people; it's true for animals, trees, rocks, cars...

We're simple and our brains look for quick, instantly recognisable features that will tell us how to act rather than become lunch, sick or slaughtered.

When I went to Asia, I couldn't tell you the different between Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian etc. But when I LEFT Asia, I could tell you all of them and, frankly, couldn't believe how obvious it was, for the most part. But, if I'd never been there, I'd still struggle.

FACT A: It is hard to tell the difference between people who have facial types/structure you're unfamiliar with.

This, on its own, isn't racism, it's psychology. It makes us efficient. Worth noting: Some people are really good at seeing facial differences, while others are terrible at it.

FACT B: Racism is thinking one race is inferior to another race.

We should not conflate one with the other. Dragging fact B into fact A via the 'but one leads to the other' is, quite honestly, valid, but only applies to prejudiced bigots who are going to get there any way they can. So leave it out.

When you think about it, people grouping all the 'but they do kinda look the same?' (A) ignoramuses with genuine racists views (B) is a similarly 'hind-brain' way of thinking, and we can do better at that, too.

In context: Bentancur's 'joke' was fucking stupid, but clearly a light-hearted reference to A rather than espousing B.
Point of order Mr chairman Your B isn't a particularly accurate or comprehensive definition of what racism is. But I'm pretty sure this inst the thread to explain why. So to avoid a yellow card I'll wonder where we can find an upgrade for Bentancur because like a few in our squad he has flattered to device.

Point of order Mr chairman Your B isn't a particularly accurate or comprehensive definition of what racism is. But I'm pretty sure this inst the thread to explain why. So to avoid a yellow card I'll wonder where we can find an upgrade for Bentancur because like a few in our squad he has flattered to device.
I know, but we didn't need a comprehensive definition for this context. Because the prejudice and discrimination aspects don't really apply to thinking people other people look the same.

FYI: "he has flattered to deceive."

Can't think of an automatic accessible alternative mind. ( Oh God someone's going to start saying stuff about Gallagher any moment aren't they).
Is Bentancur going to play for us again? I thought he was mint before his injury. Composed, skillfull, brave, chipped in with goals. It would have been very, very hard to upgrade him.

But now, yeah, maybe he won't be the same. If Sonny forgives him, he deserves more time.

Back
Top Bottom