Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Naive and stupid comment… but I don’t think Bentancur is meaning to be in any way racist. I have East Asian family and blood so I’ve heard it all before… but he’s not screaming it hatefully as an attempt to abuse anyone - he’s just been an idiot.

It’s entirely predictable so not disappointing at all. And it’s a lot of the suspects I would have 100% called doing it.

These kind of stereotypes are hugely harmful. To say it to an interviewer while being recorded is worrying.

People being like ‘yeah but all me mates and family are racist too’ or ‘yeah but they’re racist in south America’ is so dumb. We aren’t a South American club. We don’t tolerate players coming up with racial stereotypes. He’s lived here and before this in Italy for years, the man knows a joke about all Asians looking the same isn’t funny or acceptable.
Yep it's deeply distasteful to cite other cultures. I've seen the same people calling out Islamic traditions when practiced in the UK. They would not except the kind of mitigation they are now pitiablly hiding behind. Happily that is NOT what the player or the club have done unlike Liverpool. The Suarez stuff was shameful on a fanbase that likes to paint it self as beyond reproach.

What an idiot. Then he wrote Sonny brother. You don't talk like that about a brother.

Bentancur is not good enough and I wouldn't care if we sold him and replaced him with someone else.

What an idiot. Then he wrote Sonny brother. You don't talk like that about a brother.

Bentancur is not good enough and I wouldn't care if we sold him and replaced him with someone else.
community agree GIF

It was racist

That’s not what I’m saying. I’d say Bentancur knows better.

What I’m saying is that in some Latin American cultures that kind of talk is very normal. Cubans refer to each other by skin colour. Try that in the UK and you’ll be called a racist because it is.
Yep, I was going to post something similar.

We used to do lots of trade shows in South America, and the cultural view to race was VERY different.

It was quite a shock to a lot of us.

It’s no excuse for Bents, and working & living in the west he obviously needs to be more careful what he says.

Apologise, educate and move on. Let’s not tar and feather the guy.

Yep, I was going to post something similar.

We used to do lots of trade shows in South America, and the cultural view to race was VERY different.

It was quite a shock to a lot of us.

It’s no excuse for Bents, and working & living in the west he obviously needs to be more careful what he says.

Apologise, educate and move on. Let’s not tar and feather the guy.

Exactly mate.

Problem is the moral witch hunt crew probably won’t let it rest. They have already decided to get outraged on Sonny’s behalf. They’ll probably turn on Sonny if they don’t think he’s offended enough.

Exactly mate.

Problem is the moral witch hunt crew probably won’t let it rest. They have already decided to get outraged on Sonny’s behalf. They’ll probably turn on Sonny if they don’t think he’s offended enough.

Son isn't the only Asian person in the world. He said it on camera to an interviewer, so people are entitled to be offended by it if they like. It was a racist comment, why the fuck wouldn't people be offended by racism?

And Son is a teammate. I wouldn't expect him to kick up a fuss as he is captain and a professional, but I also would be very surprised if he didn't find the comment hugely offensive. I imagine there's lots of Asian Spurs fans feeling very offended.

Son isn't the only Asian person in the world. He said it on camera to an interviewer, so people are entitled to be offended by it if they like. It was a racist comment, why the fuck wouldn't people be offended by racism?

And Son is a teammate. I wouldn't expect him to kick up a fuss as he is captain and a professional, but I also would be very surprised if he didn't find the comment hugely offensive. I imagine there's lots of Asian Spurs fans feeling very offended.

But you won’t wait to hear from Sonny before you decide how you expect him to feel,

There may well be Asian people that are offended and that is their call. There will also be plenty that couldn’t give half a fuck because there are other things to concern themselves over in their real lives.

I don’t think he is racist according to his behavior so far, did he say some dumb shit that was racist yup. Did he apologize for it yup. Was his intentions when saying the comment was to be racist nope . So it’s all good for me, always watch that persons intentions that is always the tell tale if they mean to be a racist are not.
This :ange-clap:

But you won’t wait to hear from Sonny before you decide how you expect him to feel,

There may well be Asian people that are offended and that is their call. There will also be plenty that couldn’t give half a fuck because there are other things to concern themselves over in their real lives.

I don't give a shit if he's offended or not. I wouldn't expect him to be open about it anyway because he's a captain and Bentancur is his teammate. Did Suarez's black teammates come out in outrage when he called someone a racial slur?

Yeah, because racism doesn't impact lives on the daily. Idiocy.

Exactly mate.

You wouldn't have posted that if Bentancur had said all black people look the same - I'm old enough to remember when it was commonplace for English people to say that.

I don't get this business of people excusing racist remarks because they don't think the person meant to be racist.

Racist language is racist language, no matter whether you like the bloke or not, or like the way he plays for Spurs. Kids look up to Bentancur - he needs to make a more formal correction, so they're in no doubt that it's wrong.

I don't get this business of people excusing racist remarks because they don't think the person meant to be racist.

Racist language is racist language, no matter whether you like the bloke or not, or like the way he plays for Spurs. Kids look up to Bentancur - he needs to make a more formal correction, so they're in no doubt that it's wrong.

Nobody is excusing it.

I’m sure there will be numerous Asians offended by his dumb ass comments.

With these situations where the comments are clearly born out of ignorance, rather than deliberately trying to be offensive, I think it’s important to try to make a positive improvement out of a negative.

Hopefully Bentancur is suitably embarrassed, regretful and it will lead to a change in attitude moving forward. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the stance the club takes towards it.

Good luck trying to talk any sense with people on here.

I once had to spend thousands changing marketing material as it had the word “Negro” on it on two pages.

Wokeness / political correctness gone mad!!!

The way of the world.

Why did you need to use that word to start with......? What the hell are you marketing?

Back
Top Bottom