Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why did you need to use that word to start with......? What the hell are you marketing?

At least you have the sense to ask.

A Spanish product sold worldwide. Including many Spanish speaking areas. Negro means black which clearly the stupid are not able to compute.

For decades they used that word… then one year they can’t use it any more. Mental.

I’m sure there will be numerous Asians offended by his dumb ass comments.

With these situations where the comments are clearly born out of ignorance, rather than deliberately trying to be offensive, I think it’s important to try to make a positive improvement out of a negative.

Quite.

But more generally; what does one expect such an "improvement" to tangibly look like?

Sadly; isn't it most likely that such situs and their subsequent apologies are just a case of regretting being 'caught out'? ...Rather than a catalyst for a willingness to re-education ones self?

Hopefully Bentancur is suitably embarrassed, regretful and it will lead to a change in attitude moving forward. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the stance the club takes towards it.

As above....... If anyone holds genuinely racist feelings; they're not likely to have a 180 shift in attitude on the basis of being told they made a faux pas.

It feels somewhat inevitable that any reaction will range from "I can't get caught saying something like that again" to just shrugging the condemnation off as "political correctness gone mad"?

Highly doubt that he's racist. He's probably just thick as pig shit, as most footballers seemingly are and didn't have the brain capacity to realise that what he was saying was inappropriate.

But I don't want people like that at the club. Whether he's racist or not, he's a dumb cunt and I don't want that shit at our club. Anyone making excuses for him can fuck off as well.\

"Oh it's his culture, they always do it!" Fuck off. He is media trained, he lives in the UK. He knows what is and isn't acceptable to say. Disappointed in him. Absolute moron.

Highly doubt that he's racist. He's probably just thick as pig shit, as most footballers seemingly are and didn't have the brain capacity to realise that what he was saying was inappropriate.

But I don't want people like that at the club. Whether he's racist or not, he's a dumb cunt and I don't want that shit at our club. Anyone making excuses for him can fuck off as well.\

"Oh it's his culture, they always do it!" Fuck off. He is media trained, he lives in the UK. He knows what is and isn't acceptable to say. Disappointed in him. Absolute moron.

If you bin off players for being dumb then you're potentially writing off a major slice of the global talent pool...... I'd say one should focus on the racism aspect of things.

But yes.... Hugely disappointing that he's put himself (and us) in this position.

Quite.

But more generally; what does one expect such an "improvement" to tangibly look like?

Sadly; isn't it most likely that such situs and their subsequent apologies are just a case of regretting being 'caught out'? ...Rather than a catalyst for a willingness to re-education ones self?

As above....... If anyone holds genuinely racist feelings; they're not likely to have a 180 shift in attitude on the basis of being told they made a faux pas.

It feels somewhat inevitable that any reaction will range from "I can't get caught saying something like that again" to just shrugging the condemnation off as "political correctness gone mad"?
Who knows, but I’d hope Sonny is the last person Bents would want to offend.

The fallout from his thoughtless comments may make him think that much more about the consequences of his actions, as it potentially insults/hurts someone he appears to care about.

At least you have the sense to ask.

A Spanish product sold worldwide.

Phew... :unsure:

Including many Spanish speaking areas. Negro means black which clearly the stupid are not able to compute.

For decades they used that word… then one year they can’t use it any more. Mental.

A commonly known fact; but what doesn't compute is that, when translating, why would it not have been written as "black" all along? ........I mean I assume the word "Spain/Spanish" was being used in said promo all along (rather than "Espańa") so why retain "Negro"?

Doesn't sound "mental" to me.... Just tying up loose ends that should probably have been rectified long before.

Last edited:
Ignorance doesn't justify racism.

It's pretty funny how Latin American players get offended easily when they see someone making monkey gestures and yet these guys do this kind of things all the time, saying "it's just a joke".

These kinds of things happen over and over again from Latin American players every time there's a friendly in Korea/Japan.

-----

Examples:

Mexican ppl, for example, including their famous newscasters on TV, did the eye gesture to "thank" Korea and to say they are Korean "brothers" after they beat Germany to help Mexico advance in 2018 WC.

Chile players said "Open your eyes, retards" to random ppl on the street in Korea and when that got viral, they just said "it was just a joke". When they came back for another friendly, Valdes made eye gesture to his fans "as a joke".

Columbian player also did this eye gesture DURING a friendly match just because he got pissed his team was losing.

Valverde from Uruguay also did the eye gesture during a friendly. And he calls his agent "Chino" bc he has small eyes and he's short.

------

Imagine an Asian player said something racist about Vinicius. He prob would've held another conference and cried about it already, calling for "no room for racism".

Last edited:
Ignorance doesn't justify racism.

It's pretty funny how Latin American players get offended easily when they see someone making monkey gestures and yet these guys do this kind of things all the time, saying "it's just a joke".

These kinds of things happen over and over again from Latin American players every time there's a friendly in Korea/Japan.

-----

Examples:

Mexican ppl, for example, including their famous newscasters on TV, did the eye gesture to "thank" Korea and to say they are Korean "brothers" after they beat Germany to help Mexico advance in 2018 WC.

Chile players said "Open your eyes, retards" to random ppl on the street in Korea and when that got viral, they just said "it was just a joke". When they came back for another friendly, Valdes made eye gesture to his fans "as a joke".

Columbian player also did this eye gesture DURING a friendly match just because he got pissed his team was losing.

Valverde from Uruguay also did the eye gesture during a friendly. And he calls his agent "Chino" bc he has small eyes and he's short.

------

Imagine an Asian player said something racist about Vinicius. He prob would've held another conference and cried about it already, calling for "no room for racism".
Why drag Vinicius into your critique of Latin players Vinicius is a black man and is not latin the justifiable point is undermined by your rather contemptuous assessment of the rascism he experiences. That's not how you beat bigotry by making it some kind of competition. It's 100% not something Vinicius would do, or Son. And belittling people for crying is just dumb, especially when Son has Vinicius beat when it comes to crying.

I have spent several years in East Africa, and I was often mistaken for other white men there...because, as they told me, we white "looks the same". Was that racist? I never took it that way. And it was also used as a banter some times when they don't remember the person clearly.

Phew... :unsure:

A commonly known fact; but what doesn't compute is that, when translating, why would it not have been written as "black" all along? ........I mean I assume the word "Spain/Spanish" was being used in said promo all along (rather than "Espańa") so why retain "Negro"?

Doesn't sound "mental" to me.... Just tying up loose ends that should probably have been rectified long before.

Loose ends?? Why translate? Their product range is theirs to name. Is The White Conpany only for white people? A front for The National Front? It’s just a name?
If they opened up in Spain would it become La Compania Blanca? Or could they keep their identity?

Like I said I used that word every day for decades and never thought twice about it.
And I feel sorry for people who don’t have the knowledge or brain power to realise that words like Azul, Blanco, Rojo, Verde and Negro are just all colours.

So if a Spanish company markets its products using those words is it a big deal?
Clearly in the world we now live in it is. Maybe long term the Spanish will need to change Negro to Nero just to please everyone.

We are pandering - akin to burning books in bible bashing towns.

I hope people getting up in arms over this issue with Sonny start to challenge the use of the word Pikey on here. Be good not to have double standards. It’s why we are in this fucking mess of a world.

And going by the way this thread has gone this casual racism has to stop no?? Just because it’s acceptable here “among mates” it’s not really acceptable is it??

Let’s walk the walk here people. Let’s educate each other.

Maybe foul voters start needing to be issued for such blatant racism? Might head over to the West Ham thread now on my high horse.

I hope people getting up in arms over this issue with Sonny start to challenge the use of the word Pikey on here. Be good not to have double standards. It’s why we are in this fucking mess of a world.

And going by the way this thread has gone this casual racism has to stop no?? Just because it’s acceptable here “among mates” it’s not really acceptable is it??

Let’s walk the walk here people. Let’s educate each other.

Maybe foul voters start needing to be issued for such blatant racism? Might head over to the West Ham thread now on my high horse.

ncoming: I’ve never said Pikey and I agree we shouldn’t be saying. Never made a joke about caravans in my life.

Back
Top Bottom