Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wow...

Just when we think we've got a player on our hands...Just our luck

Have they announced how long he's out for
I don't get why people think we have a player on our hands. He's been ok, but no better than Winks or PEH (under Conte) for me. In his last couple appearances, he was turning the ball over pretty regularly, same as PEH, but he was turning over balls that were played square, while at least PEH's turnovers were balls going forward. I hope he does turn into a player for us, as we've spent plenty on him, and he'd be hard to move on, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not really impressed...makes me wish Kulusevski was the player we signed, and Bentancur was the one we'd loaned in.

I don't get why people think we have a player on our hands. He's been ok, but no better than Winks or PEH (under Conte) for me. In his last couple appearances, he was turning the ball over pretty regularly, same as PEH, but he was turning over balls that were played square, while at least PEH's turnovers were balls going forward. I hope he does turn into a player for us, as we've spent plenty on him, and he'd be hard to move on, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not really impressed...makes me wish Kulusevski was the player we signed, and Bentancur was the one we'd loaned in.
The difference is that when Bentancur receives the ball he instinctively looks for a forward, or offensive, or quick pass.

With Winks and Hojbjerg, it's "where is the safest pass so we retain possession". Inevitably this means the ball going sideways or backwards. It kills any momentum.

Something we've been sadly lacking from our midfield since Eriksen.

It's very early days with Bentancur, but he looks a prospect. We need about a dozen consecutive games to fully evaluate.

The difference is that when Bentancur receives the ball he instinctively looks for a forward, or offensive, or quick pass.

With Winks and Hojbjerg, it's "where is the safest pass so we retain possession". Inevitably this means the ball going sideways or backwards. It kills any momentum.

It's very early days with Bentancur, but he looks a prospect. We need about a dozen consecutive games to fully evaluate.
sorry no way does Hojbjerg always take the safest route. In fact I would say he tries a progressive pass far more then a safe pass.

I think what you have said about the passing of Hojbjerg and Winks says more about the tactics employed under Mourinho and Santo than it does about the players. Bentancur isn't a progressive-thinking or attacking-style midfielder, he's more of a basic CM, and there is no way he's going to be the next Eriksen. If we do get that creative midfielder we need over the summer, and Conte sticks to his current formation, Bentancur is going to have to be a more defensive-minded CM and replace PEH and/or Skipp if he wants to be in the starting lineup. From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure he can.

Back in a week, on here.

In a week, they'll release the statement about his upcoming bone marrow transplant and how they are waiting for new knees to grow, grafted onto a pig.

No way he's back that soon with our physios.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

Back
Top Bottom