Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you’re harsh on Bentancur. He may not be the second coming of Modric, but I think he’s much better on the ball than all our other CMs based on the evidence thus far, a better athlete too and while not a playmaker of any sort, he’s easily more proactive when there’s opportunity to progress play quickly. Additionally, he is definitely a god sniffer of danger when we’re defending. I think with coaching there a very good player there, and he’s already improved our level a fair bit.

He was poor v United but overall I think he’s made a good start to his career with us.

It's all very marginal. I think Bentancur's possibly a bit better without the ball than both Hojbjerg and Winks, but I don't actually think he's any better (more creative, proactive, incisive) with the ball than either of them.

All three of them are better than donkeys like Sissoko or Dier as CM's , but I honestly don't give much of a shit which two of the three plays, none of them bring enough quality with or without the ball to make us a tangibly "good" team.

And Conte's insistence on playing a midfield 2 every week, with two of these three every time, really isn't helping that either, because none of them are strong enough all rounders to play in midfield 2's.

It's all very marginal. I think Bentancur's possibly a bit better without the ball than both Hojbjerg and Winks, but I don't actually think he's any better (more creative, proactive, incisive) with the ball than either of them.

All three of them are better than donkeys like Sissoko or Dier as CM's , but I honestly don't give much of a shit which two of the three plays, none of them bring enough quality with or without the ball to make us a tangibly "good" team.

And Conte's insistence on playing a midfield 2 every week, with two of these three every time, really isn't helping that either, because none of them are strong enough all rounders to play in midfield 2's.
I think it’s less marginal than you suggest personally. I do actually agree that they’re all similar style of players, but I think I’d put Bentancur top in every aspect that makes up a midfielder off the three of them, and not just off the ball. I think on the ball he is by far the best at both taking it in a tight space and using it quickly, and while I agree that he’s another who isn’t overly creative, I think he’s at least able to create space by taking others out of the game with a change of pace and direction.

I’d caveat everything I’ve said with ‘it’s early days and we’ve only seen a handful of performances’ but equally I’d boost it with ‘despite showing up mid season into an underperforming side, he’s already at a better level than them’.

I think it’s less marginal than you suggest personally. I do actually agree that they’re all similar style of players, but I think I’d put Bentancur top in every aspect that makes up a midfielder off the three of them, and not just off the ball. I think on the ball he is by far the best at both taking it in a tight space and using it quickly, and while I agree that he’s another who isn’t overly creative, I think he’s at least able to create space by taking others out of the game with a change of pace and direction.

I’d caveat everything I’ve said with ‘it’s early days and we’ve only seen a handful of performances’ but equally I’d boost it with ‘despite showing up mid season into an underperforming side, he’s already at a better level than them’.

(Shrugs ambivalently)

Marginally more than marginal maybe...

Bang on BBLG.

I was very impressed with his performance against Brighton. He was all over the pitch and was quite pivotal to our transition. He passes incisively and intelligently with a high degree of accuracy. He's comfortable in tight spaces and seems to have that "picture of the pitch in his head" that is so important for quick transition.

I think his creativity is underestimated, with some thinking that the Hollywood pass is the benchmark for creativity seemingly.

I have a feeling we are only seeing the start of what will be a stellar Spurs player.

(Shrugs ambivalently)

Marginally more than marginal maybe...
Back in the day you’d have never made such a concession on THudd.
Snl Change GIF by Saturday Night Live

Uruguayan here again, now that was the Bentancur I knew, he's showing more of his baller NT version then the Juventus one, he could only get better once he learns the language and improves the chemistry with his team mates. I always knew that he was more suited for the PL then Serie A, also I dislike Juventus and their fan base.

I really hope Conte stays with you guys, he's the coach that can unlock the World class potential that Benta has. He's only 24,imagine what he could become in 2 years.

COYS!!! LOL

It’s probably the opposite if anything. Bentancur is far better technically than PEH and not a coward like winks. However PEH is probably a little busier on defense.

Bentancur is far more comfortable in possession than the other lads... Surely there's no debate to be had on that front?

As much as I think that he should be upgraded on, Emerson's issue was never about interchanging or understanding the other players. It was always about his shit delivery, and the fact that he can't cross the ball to save his life.

I do love Bentancur though (which makes me look like a mug because when the rumours started I said he was just another Hojbjerg from watching Juve). He's forming a good partnership with Hojbjerg, which makes me hopeful that we can also use the 3-5-2 with Skipp in some cases, instead of 3-4-3.
I dunno. Emerson's shit crossing is one glaring thing but I also think he's generally looked quite sloppy in possession. Playing our defence into trouble etc. There's also the fact he' s never got past someone one on one.

In short, he has a lot of issues.

Bentancur is far more comfortable in possession than the other lads... Surely there's no debate to be had on that front?
This is obvious to anyone with eyes.

The only one's who would deny now are the same that thought Kulu/Bentancur was a disaster window. Now they are having to slowly backtrack as these two waltz into the first team.

This is obvious to anyone with eyes.

The only one's who would deny now are the same that thought Kulu/Bentancur was a disaster window. Now they are having to slowly backtrack as these two waltz into the first team.

Whilst there is typically a degree of agenda that creeps into a lot of so-called 'hot-takes'; a couple of users above suprise me in their contrary assessment of RB.

Def. needs to learn to quicken his decision-making, but otherwise I think he's a cracking addition.

........If the bulk of our summer trf business can be on par with Rom, B'cur & Kulu, we're in business!

I dunno. Emerson's shit crossing is one glaring thing but I also think he's generally looked quite sloppy in possession. Playing our defence into trouble etc. There's also the fact he' s never got past someone one on one.

In short, he has a lot of issues.
Basically just a good athlete that’s fucking shit at football

Back
Top Bottom