Rudiger claims he heard monkey chants

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How is this acceptable? from yesterday ....

22564148-7819597-Chelsea_defender_Antonio_Rudiger_appeared_to_suggest_he_was_raci-a-52_1577039289706.jpg

22564160-7819597-Rudiger_made_a_monkey_gesture_as_he_gave_an_indication_of_the_ab-m-55_1577039351413.jpg

OK hands whilst doing the monkey? what's the FA doing about this?

PFA ..."We are disgusted and dismayed that once again, a Premier League fixture has been tainted by abuse from the stands towards players."

What about the abuse from the player towards the stands?

There is NO excuse for any fan being a racist cunt but why is just our good name being trashed?

What are you talking about? This was Rudiger indicating to stadium staff that he heard monkey noises from the stands.

Get a real feeling that there was no monkey chants and Rudiger either made it up or at least misheard.
I have a mate who sits in that bit and was totally bemused and at the opposite end when it became apparent that there’d been racism everyone was really angry at the culprits and the idea that one of our own was being Racist.
If true then by all means I’ll eat my words but until there’s any evidence I remain convinced that as a fan base we are not tolerant of that (in the way that every Chelsea/West Ham might not be able to say....)

Getting sick of these celebs preaching at us plebs like their opinion is somehow more important because they can sing or used to be able to kick a ball better than us. You only have to look at Stormzy's lyrics from earlier in his career to see how much of a hypocrite he is. Listening to Neville blame Boris Johnson the other week and yesterday he's bringing up Bulgaria as if it's any way comparable. Spurs are not a racist club and we are not a racist fan base but you cannot control every single individual that buys a ticket so this massive overreaction in the media is completely unnecessary given most people didn't even hear anything.

Of course there should be a thorough investigation by Spurs and anyone proven to make racist noises should be banned for life but I suspect this will die quietly with nobody found guilty.

So despite every media analyst in the country pouring over video from last night - the only picture of monkey impressions so far is from Rudiger - not saying he made it up, maybe he misinterpreted another insult, maybe somebody is yet to come forward and confirm his story, but it's strange that in all previous 'accusations' photos of the perpetrator have been circulated within seconds ...

I've been to literally hundreds of Spurs matches and the incidents of racist abuse are incredibly rare, sure sadly they do happen and in pretty much every case the person being a racist cunt has been severely spoken to - even back in the bad days. We are not a racist club, this is sad bullshit.

What happens if this turns our to be fake news? does Rudiger make an apology?
Why so defensive?

if a player calls it then it should be applauded and encouraged.

He hasn’t accused Spurs fans as been racist, I simply don’t understand how you’ve drawn this conclusion. He’s even tweeted specifically stating this, yet your direct response to his tweet is to take it as he’s calling all Spurs fans racist.

What else do you think he should do, not report it? Ignore it? Just suck it up, not make a fuss? what exactly should he do?

Getting sick of these celebs preaching at us plebs like their opinion is somehow more important because they can sing or used to be able to kick a ball better than us. You only have to look at Stormzy's lyrics from earlier in his career to see how much of a hypocrite he is. Listening to Neville blame Boris Johnson the other week and yesterday he's bringing up Bulgaria as if it's any way comparable. Spurs are not a racist club and we are not a racist fan base but you cannot control every single individual that buys a ticket so this massive overreaction in the media is completely unnecessary given most people didn't even hear anything.

Of course there should be a thorough investigation by Spurs and anyone proven to make racist noises should be banned for life but I suspect this will die quietly with nobody found guilty.
Who’s saying Spurs are a racist club?

Why so defensive?

if a player calls it then it should be applauded and encouraged.

He hasn’t accused Spurs fans as been racist, I simply don’t understand how you’ve drawn this conclusion. He’s even tweeted specifically stating this, yet your direct response to his tweet is to take it as he’s calling all Spurs fans racist.

What else do you think he should do, not report it? Ignore it? Just suck it up, not make a fuss? what exactly should he do?
So far I think Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Anthony Taylor and Spurs have all done the right thing.

Some pundits and a lot on social media have rushed to judgement.

So far I think Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Anthony Taylor and Spurs have all done the right thing.

Some pundits and a lot on social media have rushed to judgement.
The offense that some seemed to have taken over Rudiger reporting this to his Captain on the field is really quite bizarre from what I reading on here. No one applauding him for it. Odd.

Last edited:
If true and a so called Spurs fan it"s shameful, embarrassing. a stain on our club and whoever the offender they should not just be banned from the ground for life but charged with racial abuse.

If we were losing 10 nil and Rudiger had injured one of our players, it is not acceptable or a fcuking excuse.

Are we really moving on? Sickening.

Fuck off Neville

Couldn’t give a shit 15 years ago about sitting next to players who were racially abused constantly, but now your older you do.

What a crock of shite.

He very explicitly has accused one or two Spurs fans of being racist, he's repeated that claim over and over despite having so far provided zero evidence, he claims that he thought he heard racist chanting from "one or two" people out of 62,000 ... an accusation he made again to the ref in the 80th minute.

There is a very clear procedure for reporting alleged on field abuse - tell your captain, or an official, nowhere does it say make monkey impressions towards the bench .... but hey he did.

From all that we're hearing Rudiger may have got this wrong, dozens of cameras and microphones have so far found nothing, not a single Spurs fan in that section has so far come forward ... you think the club and the fans are all part of some mass cover-up?

Fact is I will always defend our reputation, don't confuse that with justifying abuse, there is not and never will be an excuse for racist behaviour, if this has happened and fan(s) are found guilty they will have shamed us all and deserve a lifetime ban (and a quiet chat) but until that happens fans and the club remain innocent.

Not that the PFA gives a fuck about due process - "We are disgusted and dismayed that once again, a Premier League fixture has been tainted by abuse from the stands towards players" - if this turns out to be unproven Levy should head up a class action by all Spurs fans for defamation against the PFA.

How is this acceptable? from yesterday ....

22564148-7819597-Chelsea_defender_Antonio_Rudiger_appeared_to_suggest_he_was_raci-a-52_1577039289706.jpg

22564160-7819597-Rudiger_made_a_monkey_gesture_as_he_gave_an_indication_of_the_ab-m-55_1577039351413.jpg

OK hands whilst doing the monkey? what's the FA doing about this?

PFA ..."We are disgusted and dismayed that once again, a Premier League fixture has been tainted by abuse from the stands towards players."

What about the abuse from the player towards the stands?

There is NO excuse for any fan being a racist cunt but why is just our good name being trashed?
Delete your account in shame

What are you talking about? This was Rudiger indicating to stadium staff that he heard monkey noises from the stands.

Maybe a fan though he heard monkey noises and was telling the players - would that be OK?

I'm being facetious to make a point ... that is not the way to report an alleged racist incident ... he's a highly paid professional he must know that.

Maybe a fan though he heard monkey noises and was telling the players - would that be OK?

I'm being facetious to make a point ... that is not the way to report an alleged racist incident ... he's a highly paid professional he must know that.

Mate, you're making an embarrassment of yourself. The game is ongoing, he can't just run over and have a chat on the sidelines while Spurs attack and score a goal. He needed to quickly communicate to the sidelines what he heard without getting out of position, which he did by imitating a monkey and pointing to his ears, i.e. he heard monkey sounds. Blaming Rudiger of all people here is absolutely ridiculous.

We don't know yet whether it's true or he misheard. So we'll need to wait and see. In the meantime, you need to have, how did you put it, "a quiet chat" with yourself.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Dele was saying he heard a supporter at Stamford Bridge making monkey sounds and communicated it the way Rudiger did, you would you be 100% behind what Dele did. The fact that you are making Rudiger out to be some sort of villain here makes my blood boil.

Back
Top Bottom