Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not "most" though, because we generally tend to control the tempo and flow of the games. Against some teams, yes, I would agree that we could use a little more physicality in the middle of the pitch or at CB positions, especially late in games where we tend to get porous.
I find we don't control most games at all. We're usually one step away from being sliced open up the middle. And that's mostly down to Bentaleb and Mason being too easy to drag out of position and cut through.

Jan being too eager to come forward doesn't help, but Mason and Bentaleb are not a top-4, or even top-7 midfield pairing, really.

The totals in their stats hide the number of errors they make which lead to fast breaks for the opposition.

I find we don't control most games at all. We're usually one step away from being sliced open up the middle. And that's mostly down to Bentaleb and Mason being too easy to drag out of position and cut through.

Jan being too eager to come forward doesn't help, but Mason and Bentaleb are not a top-4, or even top-7 midfield pairing, really.

The totals in their stats hide the number of errors they make which lead to fast breaks for the opposition.

I'm sure there are those of us that will cede your point about Mason not being a starting top 4 midfielder, but Bentaleb is a revelation.. he's absolutely shown the ability to boss games (AND, at only 20). Didn't catch anything but the highlights from the ManU game -- his back pass for Rooney's goal was awful, but he'll learn. Footballers don't peak at 20.

I'm sure there are those of us that will cede your point about Mason not being a starting top 4 midfielder, but Bentaleb is a revelation.. he's absolutely shown the ability to boss games (AND, at only 20). Didn't catch anything but the highlights from the ManU game -- his back pass for Rooney's goal was awful, but he'll learn. Footballers don't peak at 20.
No, they don't, and he's learning. But while he's learning that means that some days he's great, and some days he's fucking terrible. Against Utd we got the latter. Instead of vision and control we got sloppy passing and poor positional coverage in the press.

Yesterday wasn't on him alone, the whole team cocked up on that first goal, and you can apportion some of the blame to Nabil, Andros, Ryan, Eric, Jan and the tooth fairy. But the fact that they (Bentaleb and Mason) are running hot and cold means that you either need to add a third man (which we did when we brought on Dembele), or need someone better alongside them. That would be a project for summer.

toddler-football-kick-fail-kids-sports-gifs.gif

was this your peak ?:llorisunsure:

I was good at basketball at school. Used to love it. :pochsmirk:
oh love playing NBA 2K series, watching basketball, sometimes hoop a bit, but i still havent figured out how come i have a bronze junor medal ( second school league) at it. im like 1.74 meters tall, cant jump, basically useless, but i get rebounds.

im an athlete:freundgoal:(still 1.74, 58 kg ohyeah)
:adestare:

Oh really?
I wouldn't mind watching one of them.
because the ones I have watched - he definitely hasn't.

Dembele played well, and Bentaleb had a steady if unspectacular game, but he was a long way from the best performing midfielder in the game.
"Bossing" a game means no other player of either side outperformed you, surely?
Depends on how you define the term. For me, he bossed midfield. Chelseas midfield consisted of Fabregas, Oscar, Matic and Bentaleb outperformed all of them. Chadli and Kane took the plaudits for their goals but I feel without Bentaleb it wouldn't have been quite as easy.

Depends on how you define the term. For me, he bossed midfield. Chelseas midfield consisted of Fabregas, Oscar, Matic and Bentaleb outperformed all of them. Chadli and Kane took the plaudits for their goals but I feel without Bentaleb it wouldn't have been quite as easy.
He played a part, steady and generally reliable. It was a safe performance
I don't want to knock him to try to make a point, but in my view he wasn't the stand out performer

Back
Top Bottom