Ryan Sessegnon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

a lot more position in the first 20 mins or so, thats what we need from him, it shows he can do it
he has had a run of games maybe he is gaining some confidents in himself and feeks that Conte is backing him

Graham Roberts lauds Ryan Sessegnon after shining for Tottenham at Leeds

However, Conte is clearly a big fan of Sessegnon and has a lot of faith in the youngster.

“Sess in my vision has all the possibility to become an important player,” football.london quotes him as saying.

“First of all he is young and has in front of him a lot of years.

“He is strong physically and fast, has a good engine, a resilience.

“He has good quality. Sometimes I think he feels a bit of pressure.

“But with me he played important games, against Liverpool, against Chelsea, against City. It means I trust him.”

I thought today was probably Sessegnon’s best performance for Spurs to date. Admittedly we played against a championship level side but Sess’s task was to keep Rafinha quiet, a more difficult assignment, which he more or less accomplished.

I think he’s still behind Reggie in terms of attacking distribution — and Reggie himself isn’t great — but I finally felt there’s some potential if he can stay healthy and get a little run of games. Hope it’s not a false dawn.

I thought today was probably Sessegnon’s best performance for Spurs to date. Admittedly we played against a championship level side but Sess’s task was to keep Rafinha quiet, a more difficult assignment, which he more or less accomplished.

I think he’s still behind Reggie in terms of attacking distribution — and Reggie himself isn’t great — but I finally felt there’s some potential if he can stay healthy and get a little run of games. Hope it’s not a false dawn.

I think a run of games would see him go up a level. But Reguilon is a little bit better and ahead of him so Ryan will just be back-up whenever Reguilon is fit. Certainly looked much better today than he has done previously.

This isn't me being a dick, but what were his qualities when at Fulham that made us purchase him? I don't watch much football outside of Spurs so have no idea, but for us he looks out of his depth.
Don’t let Captain Hindsight and friends who frequent this forum lead you down the wrong path.

Sessegnon was a sensation at Fulham. He was being tracked by a lot of top clubs. We bought him as an 18 year old when Fulham were relegated from the premier league. I would be very surprised if anyone here could point to a post on here at the time when they 3xpressed doubts it was a good move for Spurs. We did pay top dollar for him because of the number of clubs tracking him but he had done very well following a season in the premier league so it wasnt as much of a punt as a championship youngster. That’s my recollection anyway.

Don’t let Captain Hindsight and friends who frequent this forum lead you down the wrong path.

Sessegnon was a sensation at Fulham. He was being tracked by a lot of top clubs. We bought him as an 18 year old when Fulham were relegated from the premier league. I would be very surprised if anyone here could point to a post on here at the time when they 3xpressed doubts it was a good move for Spurs. We did pay top dollar for him because of the number of clubs tracking him but he had done very well following a season in the premier league so it wasnt as much of a punt as a championship youngster. That’s my recollection anyway.

He didn't look any good in the premier League for Fulham though. He got a pass on that, fairly I suppose, because Fulham were rubbish and he was young and had a good season in the championship when they got promoted.

Didn't post on a spurs forum when we bought him, but I seem to remember people were excited by his championship season and England youth doing well at a big tournament. But I don't follow much outside of the premier League, so only had him down as someone that didn't stand out in a poor Fulham side. Still looks like that player to me.

I think only Reguilon is anywhere close to being good enough and the jury is out on him as well. We used to have Tripper and Davies as backup players, Walker and Rose first choice. That's the level we need to be aiming for again and Sessegnon, Doherty and Emerson are well short of it.

Sess was a standout 17 year old playing for Fulham in the Championship. His development then slowed, not helped by injuries. But at 18,19 he didn't seem to have kicked on.

The loan to Hoffenheim was good, saw him gain top flight experience. He matured physically, coming back stronger and improved defensively.

Back at Spurs I think we're now starting to see this, but also glimmers of his original strengths, that were there at Fulham as a 17 yo.

He times his runs well, gets his head up and although not technically brilliant, has more of a football brain than Reguilon. He scored goals at Fulham and I think he can for us too as he's getting into scoring positions. Looks like he's moving ahead of Reguilon to me.

At this point in time, he's showed enough to make the LWB position his to lose. He's had a number of games now and progressively got better and better, culminating in a very good performance where he kept one of the better wide players, someone that many on here have lauded as class, very quiet.

Keep on like he's doing and Reguilon will need to up his game, which is only a good thing as I believe Reguilon has a very high ceiling.

Competition at LWB, who knew?

At this point in time, he's showed enough to make the LWB position his to lose. He's had a number of games now and progressively got better and better, culminating in a very good performance where he kept one of the better wide players, someone that many on here have lauded as class, very quiet.

Keep on like he's doing and Reguilon will need to up his game, which is only a good thing as I believe Reguilon has a very high ceiling.

Competition at LWB, who knew?

Credit where it's due; he's faired well against Salah, Foden, Mahrez & Raphinha.

Gary Jacob is pretty decent so I’d suggest this is accurate.

I just hope it’s about Conte rating him and not about protecting the value of a young homegrown player, because I’d love to see Sessegnon build momentum from this point.

Absolutely no way we should be offering this guy a new deal. Madness.

This is going to be our “Lingaard, Walcott, Phil Jones” player that we keep around for years and years because he’s “young and English” but then in the blink of an eye he’s over 30 and still shit.

Thought he was doing well over last few matches, and tonight until he seemed to pull a muscle. Reguilon scoring within a minute of coming on as sub probably means he will start against ManU but Sessegnon needs an extended run of games to get back to the form he showed for Hoffenheim.

I still like him as a depth player but he was pretty poor today.

Most will focus on the cross, but even that was more hopeful than a quality cross. Outside of that the ball bounced off him almost every other time he had a chance to control it.

Still worth keeping around as a squad player but isn't good enough to take Reggie's spot and isn't showing much to think that he will ever be at that level.

Back
Top Bottom