Scottish football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm fine with them claiming the old 55 titles....... providing they pay the taxes they owe and creditors screwed over by them going bust.
...isn't our current owner a tax exile (who also had shares in Rangers)?

They have a few good young players coming through in the next few years if they continue to develop, I like Leon King and Kai Kennedy who haven't made many 1st team appearances yet and Nathan Patterson looks like he has potential at full back.

...isn't our current owner a tax exile (who also had shares in Rangers)?

They have a few good young players coming through in the next few years if they continue to develop, I like Leon King and Kai Kennedy who haven't made many 1st team appearances yet and Nathan Patterson looks like he has potential at full back.

Joe Lewis emigrated from UK in the 1970's and has permanently lived abroad for decades - certainly might have had something to do with Dennis Healey's taxation system which at the highest tax take was 98% (ie tax payer kept 2%) which was ridiculously high that it meant people stopped working as it wasn't worthwhile - but not sure someone who emigrated 50 years ago can any longer be called a tax exile.

As a sidenote when Thatcher came to power in 1979, tax percentages went down - but total tax collected went up as more higher earners did more things.......reason why no left wing government throughout has tried to follow Healey''s tax take into the 90%'s !

ENIC held a stake in Rangers but sold it well before Rangers used schemes which was so blatantly to avoid paying tax I'm surprised anyone didn't understand it was likely to fail.

Back to football, under UEFA system Scottish trained footballers count as overseas trained (ie non HG) so best to sign them before aged 18 so they can become HG with 3 years at Spurs before aged 21.

Its always been amazing how Scotland (born and bred) used to produce a lot of top class footballers such as our own Alan Gilzean but almost stopped overnight maybe 20 years ago, but a few decent (not top class) footballers are starting to emerge again. Maybe time to take a punt on one or two under 18's

That's total bullshit as the 98% was on UNEARNED income!

And as the Beatles joked in 1966 there's one for you 19 for me...I'm the Taxman.
Which is only 95%!!

Be interesting to see how he does in a more pressurised and demanding environment. The goldfish bowl of Glasgow could not be more different to Bournemouth, where anything achieved in the PL was a bonus, with the club playing at a level way above expectations or history. Now he’s somewhere where any dropped points are a disaster.
Totally agree.i remember an interview with joe ledley a few years back he said he never experienced the pressure like he did at celtic. Pressure to win every game is like no where else including with wales

So St. Johnstone of Perth win both domestic cups, becoming only the second side outside of the Old Firm to do so. Pretty impressive for a very small provincial club, but it also shows how dreadful the standard of football is right now in the supposedly bigger teams. I’ve been to their ground a few times and it’s like watching League Two football with both the quality of football and the sparsity of fans. Nice bunch though so pleased for them. Just such a shame that their all-time pinnacle of achievement was watched by a grand total of zero fans.

So St. Johnstone of Perth win both domestic cups, becoming only the second side outside of the Old Firm to do so. Pretty impressive for a very small provincial club, but it also shows how dreadful the standard of football is right now in the supposedly bigger teams. I’ve been to their ground a few times and it’s like watching League Two football with both the quality of football and the sparsity of fans. Nice bunch though so pleased for them. Just such a shame that their all-time pinnacle of achievement was watched by a grand total of zero fans.
Would be great if the perth hillbilly cunts hadn’t beaten Hibs. Bastard

It's quite sad. If teams like Bournemouth, Burnley, Brentford and Brighton can survive and sometimes thrive in the Premier League then teams like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen could too. Decent size city teams who could be something if they weren't trapped in a league with the gruesome twosome sucking out all the oxygen.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see a British league as long as the home nations national teams could keep their status. I'd leave Celtic and Rangers out though, they've got nothing but poison to bring to the table.

It's got a strong case of being so, there isn't really any in English football that have the utter venom between the two clubs the Old Firm does.

Forget the quality of the league these days.
Well I don’t know about ordinal ranking but the old firm is massive. Long rivalry, two clubs with big fan bases and grounds, and some good matches over the years.

Up there with the NLD for the top spot. Manchester went calm post Kippax and the Merseyside is only gaining heat now. The other big ones are regionals like the Tyne-Wear or Black County

Back
Top Bottom