Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Terrible news. Thoughts are with him and his family. Aurier gives everything to Spurs. He can be criticized as a player, but he deserves all our support.

And about the impact of his brother´s death in our next games, again: we all know Aurier is not the best right-back in the world, but he is the only one we have at the moment. Played every game since the restart and the team is not going to be any stronger with Gedson playing there.

Last edited:
Condolences to Serge and his family. Very sad.

I watched a documentary about French footballers earlier this year. Serge was in it.
He said if he wasn’t playing football he would be dead or in jail. He grew up in a very rough neighborhood.
That sounds like a great watch. You know what it was called?

Jose has reportedly been trying Skipp and some others at RB in training, but I am expecting Sissoko at RB on Wednesday. I am not crazy about how much of our offense in recent weeks has run through Aurier, but it goes without saying (I hope) that Sissoko cannot be expected to carry that responsibility. A broader tactical shift will be needed.

Not the best moment to critize him (and I honestly feel sorry for him, and I hope that he can get through this as a person), but I absolutely disagree that it would be hard to replace his input to our attacking play. Quite the opposite, I think that even though we have no available right-backs, someone in our books can manage to deliver more than 1 accurate cross during 90 minutes (out of large number of tries).

Not the best moment to critize him (and I honestly feel sorry for him, and I hope that he can get through this as a person), but I absolutely disagree that it would be hard to replace his input to our attacking play. Quite the opposite, I think that even though we have no available right-backs, someone in our books can manage to deliver more than 1 accurate cross during 90 minutes (out of large number of tries).

I agree completely that Aurier's crossing is very poor, so I think I may have misspoken, if you see us in disagreement. I have been frustrated (at least prior to going to a 4-4-2 yesterday) how Jose has continually set us up to have so much of the offense run through Aurier, where the 4-2-3-1 Jose had been employing so regularly has been set up to allow Aurier to play in an advanced role, with Davies on the left more frequently playing more defensively.

I only meant to say that that particular set-up won't work any more, because I really don't see anything like a right wingback on our roster. I'm OK with this. I quite liked the 4-4-2 shape yesterday, with Lucas playing deeper, and I hope that continues.

It’s not all about crosses though... like Moura who doesn’t score or assist often, Serge carries the ball forward which is inportant.

There’s a time and a place though. His brother has been murdered only hours ago, probably best to leave player analysis out of it whilst things are so raw and fresh for what must be a horrific emotional ordeal.
So if discussing our faults with regards to the match, shall we put a little **** when talking about their goal?

Or just blame someone else?
Of course we can talk about his performance, it has zero to do with the tragic death of his brother.

It’s not like we are talking to Aurier.
If you was at home talking to your mate, and discussing how bad our defence can be, would you seriously not mention Aurier?

So if discussing our faults with regards to the match, shall we put a little **** when talking about their goal?

Or just blame someone else?
Of course we can talk about his performance, it has zero to do with the tragic death of his brother.

It’s not like we are talking to Aurier.
If you was at home talking to your mate, and discussing how bad our defence can be, would you seriously not mention Aurier?

The comment I was responding to is the following:

A shit game? Try about 3/4 of his games this season. (Posted at 12:06pm, completely fresh from the news)

Do you honestly not think that comment is in the slightest bit tacky on the SAME day his brother has been murdered? Sorry but for me a time and a place for a site that isn’t private, isn’t restricted to the privacy of my home and the four walls that surround me and smacks of a complete lack of class. Time and a place and I stand by that barely 10-11 hours (or a couple based on the original post) after he would have heard about the news.

Last edited:
There’s a time and a place though. His brother has been murdered only hours ago, probably best to leave player analysis out of it whilst things are so raw and fresh for what must be a horrific emotional ordeal.
not my favourite player I've got to say. Can't fault his commitment or effort. HE thinks he's brilliant. He looks like someone who has spent time perfecting a spectacular goal scoring celebration for when that goal happens. I feel sorry for him with all the negative comments from us lot. Someone at this club saw something in him but unfortunately no one else can but this is just awful, wouldn't wish i. t on anyone . Very sad news

I agree completely that Aurier's crossing is very poor, so I think I may have misspoken, if you see us in disagreement. I have been frustrated (at least prior to going to a 4-4-2 yesterday) how Jose has continually set us up to have so much of the offense run through Aurier, where the 4-2-3-1 Jose had been employing so regularly has been set up to allow Aurier to play in an advanced role, with Davies on the left more frequently playing more defensively.

I only meant to say that that particular set-up won't work any more, because I really don't see anything like a right wingback on our roster. I'm OK with this. I quite liked the 4-4-2 shape yesterday, with Lucas playing deeper, and I hope that continues.

Ah, sorry then I indeed misunderstood you :)

But if that is what you meant, I do not think we have to adjust our system much. Just put Sissoko to play more attacking fullback position and slot Skipp/Gedson/Ndombele to midfield. Sissoko did awesome job protecting our right flank in NLD.

Raw and fresh for who exactly? Nobody of any consequence reads this forum.

I hope his family can find some peace in all this.

Doesn’t matter. You have to be a total dick to hear that someone’s brother was killed and then proceed to say that someone is a shit player. Total and utter lack of class. Complete trash.

The comment I was responding to is the following:

A shit game? Try about 3/4 of his games this season. (Posted at 12:06pm, completely fresh from the news)

Do you honestly not think that comment is in the slightest bit tacky on the SAME day his brother has been murdered? Sorry but for me a time and a place for a site that isn’t private, isn’t restricted to the privacy of my home and the four walls that surround me and smacks of a complete lack of class. Time and a place and I stand by that barely 10-11 hours (or a couple based on the original post) after he would have heard about the news.
Well personally I was slating him this morning and hadn’t even heard the news.
It’s terrible and shocking but we aren’t in his presence and don’t need to tip toe around the fact he’s not very good

People keep saying his crossing is shit, but how many players crossing is brilliant? Let alone RB's. Walker's sure as shit wasn't (still isn't). TAA is a freak of nature in terms of his crossing. But he's pretty much a one off.

There aren't many RB's in Europe that get up and down, contribute to their teams attacking play, are brilliantly productive offensively and are fabulous defenders. I didn't want us to buy Aurier, I'll happily see us upgrade him, he does some stupid shit, but we aren't going to find a RB who will be the all singing, all dancing stuff, be a great attacker and great defender, never whack a hopeful cross. There's a reason why very few of us, even those of us that are avid watchers of various European leagues are struggling to come up with the usual long wish lists of wonderful RB's.

When Spain's third best team is buying Trippier off us, alarm bells should be ringing.

As with Trippier, this isn't me saying Aurier is great, but people need to get real. His crossing is not worth getting bent out of shape about, we are unlikely to find a RB any time soon who will constantly get up the pitch and deliver genius passes that create much more than what Aurier is managing to create right now. Especially now Hakimi's off the table.

People keep saying his crossing is shit, but how many players crossing is brilliant? Let alone RB's. Walker's sure as shit wasn't (still isn't). TAA is a freak of nature in terms of his crossing. But he's pretty much a one off.

There aren't many RB's in Europe that get up and down, contribute to their teams attacking play, are brilliantly productive offensively and are fabulous defenders. I didn't want us to buy Aurier, I'll happily see us upgrade him, he does some stupid shit, but we aren't going to find a RB who will be the all singing, all dancing stuff, be a great attacker and great defender, never whack a hopeful cross. There's a reason why very few of us, even those of us that are avid watchers of various European leagues are struggling to come up with the usual long wish lists of wonderful RB's.

When Spain's third best team is buying Trippier off us, alarm bells should be ringing.

As with Trippier, this isn't me saying Aurier is great, but people need to get real. His crossing is not worth getting bent out of shape about, we are unlikely to find a RB any time soon who will constantly get up the pitch and deliver genius passes that create much more than what Aurier is managing to create right now. Especially now Hakimi's off the table.

agree with you 100%

This is why I would prioritize LB. Easier to find many more better LBs than Davies than RBs better than Aurier

i think most could deal with Aurier being a poor crosser/passer if he was good defensively, similar to Wan Bissaka. Or if he were good at crossing/passing in general but poor defensively, ie Hakimi.

The problem with Aurier is he is bad everything, good at nothing and throws in moronic plays like rash tackles, giving away stupid corners, needlessly giving the ball away etc.

Even if you said the best we are getting from an Aurier replacement is basically the same level of play without the chaos I think i would be fine because I am so tired of watching him go out there making so many dumb, dumb plays. I am tired of being more worried about what the next dumb thing he is going to do rather than just hoping he can make a nice play.

I think giving away the corner kick was the perfect Aurier play. It was as dumb as can be, a totally needless play and frustrating as hell but because it was Aurier it wasn't all that surprising. I mean if Toby had done that we would be wondering what the hell is wrong with. We would probably be livid but with Serge as frustrating as it was it is what you get with him and for me there are far too many of those plays from him. He doesn't come close to making up for it no matter how many stats he gets it isn't enough.

Back
Top Bottom