Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Genuinely don't see what colour has to do with it. Plenty of white players are "beasts" too.
I'd be worried if I placed any association with the word to a player of any colour, rather than an exclamation of how strong they were or how well they were playing. If it's racist or stereotyping in any way, I wonder how the black players all felt when Poch treated them all to a slap up dinner last week at....Beast restaurant?

We should all be quick to stamp on racism/stereotyping, but it does get to a point where it becomes silly & over sensitive.

Describing a player as a beast has zero negative connotations to it imo- Whatever the colour of the players skin.
#gibbsyknew

Beats are called beasts because of sheer athleticism and muscle.

Muscle and athleticism tend to be natural traits of many Africans or those of African decent.

Spoiler alert here, but many people competing in athletics on an Olympian level are African or African decent. This isn't a coincidence.

This isn't racism, it's blatant genetics. People from certain climates with certain genes will physically develop in different ways to someone else from another climate with different genetics.

The fact that the word "beast" finds its way to many Africans isn't "racist" or even an insult. It's just how the cookie has crumbled. Look up the word "Pace" or "speed demon" and, shock horror, you'll find it linked with many Africans too.

Genuinely don't see what colour has to do with it. Plenty of white players are "beasts" too.
I'd be worried if I placed any association with the word to a player of any colour, rather than an exclamation of how strong they were or how well they were playing. If it's racist or stereotyping in any way, I wonder how the black players all felt when Poch treated them all to a slap up dinner last week at....Beast restaurant?

We should all be quick to stamp on racism/stereotyping, but it does get to a point where it becomes silly & over sensitive.

Describing a player as a beast has zero negative connotations to it imo- Whatever the colour of the players skin.
Attention (some) Manchester United fans: all racial stereotyping is racist | Marina Hyde

There's zero negative connotations to saying someone has a big dick either. Stereotyping is still stereotyping.

''Prejudice masquerading as praise may appear superficially more appealing than prejudice without disguise. But only superficially.''

Anyway, I've had my say on it. Twitter is awash with people of colour saying this exact thing. Noticing how ''pace and power'' is always associated in certain ways and to certain players. Lukaku and Mane are effectively deduced to these two attributes regularly by Souness and Hoddle for example. It's just something I've noticed and agreed after it was brought up and it's been met with complete dismissal by some who aren't even willing to hear the conversation. It's just PC bullshit and playing the race card to them. Fact is, many people of colour have noticed too. I'm done with it for now, nowt more I can say that hasn't been said.

Beats are called beasts because of sheer athleticism and muscle.

Muscle and athleticism tend to be natural traits of many Africans or those of African decent.

Spoiler alert here, but many people competing in athletics on an Olympian level are African or African decent. This isn't a coincidence.

This isn't racism, it's blatant genetics. People from certain climates with certain genes will physically develop in different ways to someone else from another climate with different genetics.

The fact that the word "beast" finds its way to many Africans isn't "racist" or even an insult. It's just how the cookie has crumbled. Look up the word "Pace" or "speed demon" and, shock horror, you'll find it linked with many Africans too.
I agree with some of this. My issue is when they are deduced to these attributes only. Which players like Lukaku and Mane, as obvious examples, have been. Mane is a beautiful technical footballer with a brilliant footballing brain.

I agree with some of this. My issue is when they are deduced to these attributes only. Which players like Lukaku and Mane, as obvious examples, have been.

Tbf here, Lukaku would be a shit player without his pace and muscle. Those attributes are what makes him the player he is.

I've been reading the sky pundits comments on auriers sending off... fucking ridiculous!!
Redknapp reckons every time the ball came to him he didn't understand the premier league? Absolute bollocks. It's his first fucking game in the league and they're already writing him off as a liability.
Sky are a bunch of cunts and are always biased against anything Spurs

Attention (some) Manchester United fans: all racial stereotyping is racist | Marina Hyde

There's zero negative connotations to saying someone has a big dick either. Stereotyping is still stereotyping.

''Prejudice masquerading as praise may appear superficially more appealing than prejudice without disguise. But only superficially.''

Anyway, I've had my say on it. Twitter is awash with people of colour saying this exact thing. Noticing how ''pace and power'' is always associated in certain ways and to certain players. Lukaku and Mane are effectively deduced to these two attributes regularly by Souness and Hoddle for example. It's just something I've noticed and agreed after it was brought up and it's been met with complete dismissal by some who aren't even willing to hear the conversation. It's just PC bullshit and playing the race card to them. Fact is, many people of colour have noticed too. I'm done with it for now, nowt more I can say that hasn't been said.
Never said it was PC bullshit or playing the race card. I just don't think it's racist or stereotyping.
I think Kane is an absolute beast. So too Toby & Jan. Davies has been a beast this season.
Equally, I think Wanyama is a beast.
If you're noticing a trend then maybe you're looking too hard.
I agree about there not being any negative connotation about having a big dick. Never done me any harm.
:sonpoint:

Only kidding

:walkercry:

Tbf here, Lukaku would be a shit player without his pace and muscle. Those attributes are what makes him the player he is.
I'd argue his finishing and movement are equally worthy of mention. Doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops up though. For a guy that scores as many goals as he does, you'd think his finishing would be the first thing to be brought up. With Harry it does as a counter example.

Never said it was PC bullshit or playing the race card. I just don't think it's racist or stereotyping.
I think Kane is an absolute beast. So too Toby & Jan. Davies has been a beast this season.
Equally, I think Wanyama is a beast.
If you're noticing a trend then maybe you're looking too hard.
I agree about there not being any negative connotation about having a big dick. Never done me any harm.
:sonpoint:

Only kidding

:walkercry:
That wasn't aimed at you mate.

I'd argue his finishing and movement are equally worthy of mention. Doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops up though. For a guy that scores as many goals as he does, you'd think his finishing would be the first thing to be brought up. With Harry it does as a counter example.

I don't think Lukaku's finishing is anywhere close to Kanes tbh.

His movement off the last shoulder is good. His movement at being in the right place at the right time in the box is not.

I think you're applying a racial paradigm to too much here. The fact that many don't find Lukakus finishing special could just be that Lukakus finishing isn't special.

So far this season his shot accuracy is 66%, he's been on fire right? Loads of people saying he's doing great.

Kane has had a slow start to the season, right? Shit in August? Yet his shot accuracy is 62% despite an average start. On top of that he's hit the post, what, 4-5 times?

I've been reading the sky pundits comments on auriers sending off... fucking ridiculous!!
Redknapp reckons every time the ball came to him he didn't understand the premier league? Absolute bollocks. It's his first fucking game in the league and they're already writing him off as a liability.
Sky are a bunch of cunts and are always biased against anything Spurs

I watched ArsenalFanTV (Bored and wanted to genuinely see how they view themselves) and they said that "Aurier always has it in him to get red cards".

2 reds in 4 years. Ridiculous that people don't even bother to look up the numbers.

I don't think Lukaku's finishing is anywhere close to Kanes tbh.

His movement off the last shoulder is good. His movement at being in the right place at the right time in the box is not.

I think you're applying a racial paradigm to too much here. The fact that many don't find Lukakus finishing special could just be that Lukakus finishing isn't special.

So far this season his shot accuracy is 66%, he's been on fire right? Loads of people saying he's doing great.

Kane has had a slow start to the season, right? Shit in August? Yet his shot accuracy is 62% despite an average start. On top of that he's hit the post, what, 4-5 times?
I'm not directly comparing their finishing. Harry's is obviously superior and he's obviously a superior player. Just the narratives associated to both. Similar used to happen with Drogba and Rooney.

Maybe. I am rather sensitive to such issues due to life experiences. I can admit that. But I'm not the only one who has seen this issue and it's not just a football issue. Similar things happen in cricket which I follow closely. But that is an old white boys game.
I'm sorry that your life experiences have left you sensitive to these issues. But sometimes, I think that it can go too far "the other way". Beast is a term I associate with only positive attributes & strengths of a player.
Turning to cricket. Chris Gayle is a beast. As was Ian Botham. Sportsmen that stir emotion & passion with the raw power & ability to demolish the opposition.
I think it's hugely positive & do find it slightly sad that there is a school of thought that sees it as some kind of racial stereotype.

Ah well, we've got a game tonight & I'm hoping for XI beasts out there to give us maximum points

I'm not directly comparing their finishing. Harry's is obviously superior and he's obviously a superior player. Just the narratives associated to both. Similar used to happen with Drogba and Rooney.

Maybe people talk about Lukakus/Drogba's "beast" attributes more as it's just clearer to see than technique?

A player such as the two above can demonstrate these attributes many times throughout a game, but usually a player only has like 2-4 shots per game to demonstrate "finishing" ability, which is a much harder thing to judge and perceive.

I'm sorry that your life experiences have left you sensitive to these issues. But sometimes, I think that it can go too far "the other way". Beast is a term I associate with only positive attributes & strengths of a player.
Turning to cricket. Chris Gayle is a beast. As was Ian Botham. Sportsmen that stir emotion & passion with the raw power & ability to demolish the opposition.
I think it's hugely positive & do find it slightly sad that there is a school of thought that sees it as some kind of racial stereotype.

Ah well, we've got a game tonight & I'm hoping for XI beasts out there to give us maximum points
Funnily enough I was thinking of the West Indies players when saying that.

Back
Top Bottom