Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You wish!!!

Besides, we literally brought in a 20 y/o RB today. Why blow 20/30m-ish on Aarons (Sess MK II)?

20/21 - Doherty (+Serge) > KWP sold 13m / MD 16m
21/22 - Doherty (+Fergusson) > Serge sold 10m / KF free

= 7m profit. Good business.
Ferguson hasnt played a senior game for anyone in his career. Who has a clue if he is good enough. Will we have any takers for Aurier in 12 months? We wouldnt be getting £10m thats for sure.Aarons would likely be around £18m to £20m. Get around £16m for Aurier now if we can thats good business.

Ferguson hasnt played a senior game for anyone in his career. Who has a clue if he is good enough. Will we have any takers for Aurier in 12 months? We wouldnt be getting £10m thats for sure.Aarons would likely be around £18m to £20m. Get around £16m for Aurier now if we can thats good business.

I might be wrong, but I just have a gut feeling that Fergusson has been brought in to be fast-tracked into the squad considering his age and physical stature (a year being sussed out in the U23s then promoted to the seniors as back-up to MD next year).... If that's not the plan and Serge is to be sold; so be it.

Serge: The club's and Joses position is perfectly clear at this point.... Decent fee or him pushing for a move will see an exit otherwise we provides depth which I'm fine with.

Forecasting price-tags is always a sketchy business..... You're making no less assumptions than I really.... The big one being that Norwich would want to sell Aarons for anything but a fat fee. Yet to be impressed by him myself so I wouldn't be inclined to push the boat out on another Sessengon-type deal (esp. with another young HG RB waiting in the wings).

Last edited:
All a bit quiet on him going and we do need two right backs. I wouldn’t be that surprised if he started for us tomorrow (disappointed though).

The way I read things, Spurs wanted circa £16m for Aurier (same sort of price as Doherty, so not unreasonable), Milan only prepared to offer £10m - so Aurier going nowhere if Milan don't increase their bid.

Aurier has 2 years left on contract now and if football recovers from covid we could still get £10m + for Aurier in 12 months time....worst case might be £5m.

If Spurs had sold Aurier, all the rumours were we were going to buy another CB - but if Aurier stays I suspect we use him as both RB and LB cover but dont buy the CB this TW. Still leaves us with decent defensive cover in the squad (with the option to keep CCV as a 5th CB/FB cover if we want).

Meanwhile if the rumours are right we spend the rest of the TW buying a striker and possibly Bale.

Would prefer to sell Aurier for that circa £16m price and buy another CB, rather than deal with Aurier next summer TW, but keeping him isnt the worst option.......provided we get another striker I think it will still be a very solid window having solved our 3 main objectives of a first team RB, first team midielder to play in a double pivot who has defensive skills, an HG 3rd GK and back up striker.

You wish!!!

Besides, we literally brought in a 20 y/o RB today. Why blow 20/30m-ish on Aarons (Sess MK II)?

20/21 - Doherty (+Serge) > KWP sold 13m / MD 16m
21/22 - Doherty (+Fergusson) > Serge sold 10m / KF free

= 7m profit. Good business.
Have a day off, Jesus man!

Brought in a 20 y/o RB without a minute of senior game time - do you even reason?

Ferguson has been on trial at Spurs for a good month or more and played in 4 pre-season freindlies - and on the basis of those Spurs have given him a contract. We will need to pay Sheffield United a development fee (might be as low as say £100k, might be as much as £250k, I just dont know precisely) but that makes him a decent cheap punt. Probably a 10% chance he stays at Spurs....and if he does its a great return punt.......if he moves on we may or may not get a fee. But a possible big upside and not a lot to lose if it doesnt work out.

I am sure we'd sell Aurier if Milan offers £16m, but if they only offer £10m - we might decide we are better off keeping him and selling next summer - and if football has got over covid might still get close to £10m with one year left on his contract (just as Leicester paid up for the Atalanta full back with a year left on his contract)FB .

Ferguson has been on trial at Spurs for a good month or more and played in 4 pre-season freindlies - and on the basis of those Spurs have given him a contract. We will need to pay Sheffield United a development fee (might be as low as say £100k, might be as much as £250k, I just dont know precisely) but that makes him a decent cheap punt. Probably a 10% chance he stays at Spurs....and if he does its a great return punt.......if he moves on we may or may not get a fee. But a possible big upside and not a lot to lose if it doesnt work out.

I am sure we'd sell Aurier if Milan offers £16m, but if they only offer £10m - we might decide we are better off keeping him and selling next summer - and if football has got over covid might still get close to £10m with one year left on his contract (just as Leicester paid up for the Atalanta full back with a year left on his contract)FB .
And if a club offers £15m plus and Serge goes, then Foyth can take his non-HG squad space.

If we're going to persist with the advanced RB offering attacking options, then I really don't know why Mourinho hasn't given Foyth a chance there.

I get that he's worried about Foyth making mistakes at CB, but he's very comfortable on the ball, and played at RB for Argentina in the 2019 Copa America, including in the semi-final against Brazil.

And if a club offers £15m plus and Serge goes, then Foyth can take his non-HG squad space.

If we're going to persist with the advanced RB offering attacking options, then I really don't know why Mourinho hasn't given Foyth a chance there.

I get that he's worried about Foyth making mistakes at CB, but he's very comfortable on the ball, and played at RB for Argentina in the 2019 Copa America, including in the semi-final against Brazil.

The Argentina squad is a bit 'spotty' contains some very good players but also not so good so not sure I take that much from Foyth playing there. The big worry is that Poch didnt give Foyth any chance at RB at Spurs despite Foyth being his 'project', and Poch initially saying Foyth would play there.

IMO Foyth is seen as being too lightweight for PL - whether true or not it has to be something like that for neither POch or JM to be that keen on him.

I think if a suitable offer comes in Foyth will be off on loan or permanantly just to make space in the squad for an incoming player or two, even if Aurier goes too (which atm doesnt look more that likely).

The Argentina squad is a bit 'spotty' contains some very good players but also not so good so not sure I take that much from Foyth playing there. The big worry is that Poch didnt give Foyth any chance at RB at Spurs despite Foyth being his 'project', and Poch initially saying Foyth would play there.

IMO Foyth is seen as being too lightweight for PL - whether true or not it has to be something like that for neither POch or JM to be that keen on him.

I think if a suitable offer comes in Foyth will be off on loan or permanantly just to make space in the squad for an incoming player or two, even if Aurier goes too (which atm doesnt look more that likely).
Foyth was another player who got injured at the wrong time.
In that summer of 2019, Foyth played in nearly all of Argentina's Copa America games as a RB, got married, and cut his honeymoon short to join up with us in pre-season.
His attitude was top notch, but then he got injured in one of the pre-season games and was out for the start of the season. Along with big money signings GLC and Sessegnon.
I suspect all this contributed to Poch's loss of MoJo after the CL final.
By the time Foyth was fully fit, Mourinho was in charge and it was soon clear he favoured the pace and defensive tenacity of Tanganga over the more languid Foyth.
Foyth is apparently Villarreal's number one target and they have a great history with Argentine players. But I doubt they can afford what Spurs will demand.

Foyth was another player who got injured at the wrong time.
In that summer of 2019, Foyth played in nearly all of Argentina's Copa America games as a RB, got married, and cut his honeymoon short to join up with us in pre-season.
His attitude was top notch, but then he got injured in one of the pre-season games and was out for the start of the season. Along with big money signings GLC and Sessegnon.
I suspect all this contributed to Poch's loss of MoJo after the CL final.
By the time Foyth was fully fit, Mourinho was in charge and it was soon clear he favoured the pace and defensive tenacity of Tanganga over the more languid Foyth.
Foyth is apparently Villarreal's number one target and they have a great history with Argentine players. But I doubt they can afford what Spurs will demand.
Foyth is not a very good footballer - that’s the real reason - not some mega Jose conspiracy

Foyth is not a very good footballer - that’s the real reason - not some mega Jose conspiracy
Foyth is able to bring the ball out from defence well. His problem is his decision making when he does it when there is little cover, gets dispossessed and leads to a goal opportunity to the opposition. I can only recall him playing once competitively for Mourinho and he fucked up badly and has not appeared since.

Foyth is able to bring the ball out from defence well. His problem is his decision making when he does it when there is little cover, gets dispossessed and leads to a goal opportunity to the opposition. I can only recall him playing once competitively for Mourinho and he fucked up badly and has not appeared since.
Foyth played more than once. I think he started in a cup game and Mourinho said how impressed he was with him, then he started in the league against Norwich if I remember correctly and fucked it up.

@Sky Sports:

Spartak Moscow are increasingly confident they can agree a deal with Tottenham for the permanent signing of right back Serge Aurier. Tottenham are prepared to allow Aurier to leave, with the defender open to the move as he believes his first team opportunities will be limited following the arrival of Matt Doherty. Spartak made first enquiries earlier this month.

Only saw the he first half today but actually felt we'd have been better with Aurier on the field. I like what Doherty offers as a forward runner but I'm not too hot on his defending.

Back
Top Bottom