Sergio Reguilón

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When we stay on the frontfoot and are attacking, he's great. When we're sitting back, playing very defensive, he can look average to below average.

Next season I'm hoping to see an improvement in his positional awareness.
Think we need to credit Mason here.

He actually had Reggie work to his strengths and pushed him up the pitch, he then had Aurier drop more than he would usually do (he's a better defender than Reggie).

EzlyeDkVgAIhK7I

EzlyeDkVEAQOQAM

Both fullbacks were involved in the build-up with midfield too (not always the case with the Dino as we would go long more often than not), Aurier dealing with Southampton's first half high press better than Reggie.

The early use of the FB's was closer in line with Poch, especially as we looked to cross the ball (no team has attempted fewer crosses this season than Spurs).

It's not quite the lopsided FB tactic used by the Dinosaur earlier in his reign as Aurier did cross the halfway line unlike Davies did when he was the deepest.

He's been poor for so many games now. You'd have to go back several games to find a game where he was actually good.
Excellent second half vs Southampton. Very poor first half. He's a better player when we can get our cb's average position closer to the halfway line and play in the opposition half.

But he was good, Mourinho fucked our players with months of bad management and lazy training seasons. Our players are so weak that they can't stand 90 minutes of football anymore. Every game they seem exausted with 30 minutes left or more.

I honestly didn’t notice him do much wrong today aside from when he let the ball go out of play for some inexplicable reason. Mahrez did get a few shots on target but most came from him cutting to his left from outside the box.

Not a chance Davies is better but you are right it isn't close, Reguilon is much, much better.

Davies doesn't work in the PL. He can't defend in space so has to leave wide open spaces for opposition to run into. He has to try and hide in tight because he can't risk one one on one defensive situations because he is an absolute pylon. Him hiding in tight isn't good defense it is shit play to try and make him look better while leaving us wide open to attacks.
Davies works fine in the Prem. Solid defender. Only thing he lacks is pace but generally he reads the game well enough to cover that.

I've loved Reggie all season but his defending has always been suspect to me and it does seem to have taken a turn for the worse.

Not easy for anyone this season though so won't hold it against him and I would start him over Davies most of the time. Wouldn't even look for a new LB this summer though. Far more pressing positions to improve on.

Davies works fine in the Prem. Solid defender. Only thing he lacks is pace but generally he reads the game well enough to cover that.

I've loved Reggie all season but his defending has always been suspect to me and it does seem to have taken a turn for the worse.

Not easy for anyone this season though so won't hold it against him and I would start him over Davies most of the time. Wouldn't even look for a new LB this summer though. Far more pressing positions to improve on.

People are always going to have different opinions, I honestly do not see this bad defense from Reguilon, he is not as great as he was when he first came in but he still makes more plays than not defensively. I think he is way more involved in the play than Davies so the chance for him to make a mistake is more whereas Davies just lets the defenders have the space thus not giving him self the chance to make the "mistake" by giving up the ground. To me that is much worse.

When Davies has played in the PL this season he has clearly not been good enough, especially for a team with top 4 aspirations. You can't play with a FB that offers zero going forward, even if they are elite defensively and Davies is far from that. He likely could fit in with a team like Burnley that don't care about going forward but he is not near good enough, even as a 2nd choice LB for a team of our supposed aspirations.

Hardly any of the squad have been good enough this season.

Davies fits in fine here. Lots of hate for him I know but, as I've said previously, think LB is a position we don't even need to consider upgrading next season.

I don't disagree that lots of players have been bad and it isn't hate for Davies just acknowledgement of where he is as a player.

He likely survives because we have other areas that need improvement, but I would be more than fine moving him on and having Sessegnon and/or Cirkin be the back-up. We need to move on from guys like Davies that are not good enough and have no more growth in their game. Certainly not a priority move but if someone is willing to pay anything decent and we can use that money to upgrade other areas then I am all for it.

About the ONLY upside of having the Dinosaur as your manager is his football is so terrible as it relies on his players not doing much on the ball, that it devalues players loads!

He's far, far from perfect but under the right coach, he could be very good for us!

Does anyone know if the buyback clause is limited to say 1yr after signing? Or does it carry over into all years of his contract?

I think it lasts 2 years, so have to get through next summer too.

He adds so much when we attack teams compared to Davies. It's night and day when both he and Aurier are primarily adding width and bodies vs Davies and Doherty.
Funny enough, both Reguilon and Aurier can be shocking liabilities when asked to defend.
But Davies was getting to a stage where he got beat more often than not and I don't really know what Doherty IS good at yet.
So let's cut Reggie and Serge a break. On paper we should go and have a right go in our last 4 games and the back 4 should not chance at all if all fit.

Back
Top Bottom