Should The First Ever Female Coach In The Mens Game Be @ a PL Club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should This Experiment Take Place At The Top Tier Of Football

• Total voters
Some people are suggesting we're so desperate for a coach we should hire someone from the women's league who got tanked 4-0 by massive (ladies) underdogs Barcelona a couple of months ago.

Should the first ever ladies coach in the men's game be tested at Premier League level? Or should it be trialled where the poor women isn't ripped a fucking part by the media, the fans the rivals and everyone in between when it invariably goes tits up (no pun intended)

I liken the women's league to non-league football. Would anyone advocate hiring a non-league coach?
Nope.

Absolutely not

Try it at Barnet or Stevenage yes but it’s a ridiculous option for us or any PL side atm

I liken the women's league to non-league football.
I'd compare it more to being like a youth coach. Non-league football is fly-by-night in a way the Women's PL is not. But women's players are psychologically and physiologically different from men's players in a way non-league players are not. It's not a lesser version of the same game, it's a different game.

Women can absolutely coach men and that will become more and more common in the future across all of sports. It's of course just virtue signaling to suggest that someone with no experience in the men's game should jump to an operation the scale of Spurs, but hey, when you leave the job open for months, that's what you invite.

Becky Hammon in basketball should be looked at as a role model here. She became an assistant under one of the most respected and influential coaches in the NBA (critically someone with enough standing in the game to hire a woman as an assistant and not face scrutiny for it) and has built up her credibility that way, and proven she belongs in that environment. She may very well end up being the one to break this barrier down in major sports.

No. I don’t have anything against a concept in principle but you need to first work your way up the leagues. If a female manager came straight to the PL and failed it you would have several issues.

1 it would kill any future for female managers trying this.

2 if it was us it would make Spurs looks ‘progressive’ or ‘woke’ but the second she got sacked by Levy you know how the media will spin things will us. It would be seen either as a joke doing it in the first place or it would be spun as a sexist sacking.

3. A lot of fans would sadly be on her back soon as it started to go wrong.

4 some players might think it was nothing more than a political decision taking nothing in to consideration about their futures and that could be toxic.

Try at the lower leagues and build up dealing with young competitive blokes, if she could survive that and do really well then we could have this conversation.

1) Another ex Chelsea coach, is this becoming a problematic fetish for Levy?

2) Has all this conversation over the topic really just snowballed from a throwaway one liner from that chode Hercules? Or has there been a more reliable source, like that octopus that predicted a few correct results at one of the World Cups?

I don't mind if they have big knockers .
Usually they ain't much to look at , give me a youngish Bridget Bardot , Raquel Welch lookalike know your talking .
Maybe a lower league club could experiment like Bristol city.

Last edited:
I voted based on the language of the post. First female first team coach should absolutely be in a PL club - PL clubs have the finances and staff sizes to accommodate developmental positions like this, and provide the coach with the foundation, support, and mentoring to flourish as a coach.

Manager, probably not. A high profile failure could be difficult to overcome.

But save me any "do it the right way" and "work your way up the leagues". No one does that anymore, really. The PL recycles all the same 60 year old geezers, tosses in some continental accent for flavor, and sprinkles that with completely out of their depth players who just retired a couple seasons ago.

I voted based on the language of the post. First female first team coach should absolutely be in a PL club - PL clubs have the finances and staff sizes to accommodate developmental positions like this, and provide the coach with the foundation, support, and mentoring to flourish as a coach.

Manager, probably not. A high profile failure could be difficult to overcome.

But save me any "do it the right way" and "work your way up the leagues". No one does that anymore, really. The PL recycles all the same 60 year old geezers, tosses in some continental accent for flavor, and sprinkles that with completely out of their depth players who just retired a couple seasons ago.
Basically they need to follow the path Mikel Arteta did in becoming the first Lego person to manage in the PL

Basically they need to follow the path Mikel Arteta did in becoming the first Lego person to manage in the PL
Thanks. Been waiting to use this for a while now.

3ez5DCB.jpg

1) Another ex Chelsea coach, is this becoming a problematic fetish for Levy?

2) Has all this conversation over the topic really just snowballed from a throwaway one liner from that chode Hercules? Or has there been a more reliable source, like that octopus that predicted a few correct results at one of the World Cups?

It's utterly nonsensical but some people have got if in their head we should go for if.

I mean, we could go to any lower men's league in the world and find someone with a similar CV. Being above average at an incomparable, inferior version of the sport doesn't qualify anyone to leap into the absolute elite level of the men's game. Not for us or any PL team.

I'm not against women coaches, I am against people getting a job as an experiment rather than on merit.

Back
Top Bottom