Should The First Ever Female Coach In The Mens Game Be @ a PL Club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should This Experiment Take Place At The Top Tier Of Football

• Total voters
I'm just going to put out the old adage "beggars can't be choosers"

And either way, we're pretty much begging right now.

I don't think it would be an issue with me at all of we ended up hiring a female manager, as long as she had some decent credentials.

If they fuck up, they fuck up, but seeing as Mourinho left the club without a single trophy and we finished 7th the expectation would not be that high with a decent squad.

What about the first ever Indian coach? First Asian coach? First disabled coach? First openly gay coach? First transsexual coach? First midget coach? First albino coach?

Stupid loaded bigoted question.

It doesn't matter what gender, colour, sexual preference, disability somebody has. The only question is on their experience, ability and qualifications.

Should a coach with only lower league coaching experience coach in the 'big leagues' - Why not?. Pep came from coaching the Barca youth team to coaching the best team in world football.

Is female football somehow so drastically different from the men's game that a coach wouldn't be able to transition? Or are you suggesting that because she has a vagina that she won't be able to coach men?

Some people are suggesting we're so desperate for a coach we should hire someone from the women's league who got tanked 4-0 by massive (ladies) underdogs Barcelona a couple of months ago.

Should the first ever ladies coach in the men's game be tested at Premier League level? Or should it be trialled where the poor women isn't ripped a fucking part by the media, the fans the rivals and everyone in between when it invariably goes tits up (no pun intended)

I liken the women's league to non-league football. Would anyone advocate hiring a non-league coach?
Nope.

I voted based on the language of the post. First female first team coach should absolutely be in a PL club - PL clubs have the finances and staff sizes to accommodate developmental positions like this, and provide the coach with the foundation, support, and mentoring to flourish as a coach.

Manager, probably not. A high profile failure could be difficult to overcome.

But save me any "do it the right way" and "work your way up the leagues". No one does that anymore, really. The PL recycles all the same 60 year old geezers, tosses in some continental accent for flavor, and sprinkles that with completely out of their depth players who just retired a couple seasons ago.

Basically they need to follow the path Mikel Arteta did in becoming the first Lego person to manage in the PL
Thanks. Been waiting to use this for a while now.

3ez5DCB.jpg

I didn't realise we had a thread on this, so I'm gonna copy and paste my post from the other manager thread here:

Another thing you would have to consider for appointing a woman manager straight from womens football is the level of womens football relative to mens. Is the Womans top division as good as Scottish league 2 mens? Let's say it is. Would we hire a manager from Scottish league 2? I don't think we would even consider it.

I reiterate that the only way I see a woman getting a good mangerial job in the mens game is to work their way up in various coaching roles in the mens game first. And I think this will happen in the future.

But to say we should appoint someone who has soley managed in the womens game is a little ridiculous, because the level isn't close. A man who manages at such a level would have to work his way up first - look at Mourinho as an example of that. Whereas a man who has played at the very top level tends to (rightly or wrongly) get a managerial start at a higher level to begin with, because of that top level experience.
What about people like Lampard, Rooney and Gerard. Who get top(ish) jobs straight away?

I don't think they worked their way up (Gerrard may have done with the Liverpool youth teams).

What about people like Lampard, Rooney and Gerard. Who get top(ish) jobs straight away?

I don't think they worked their way up (Gerrard may have done with the Liverpool youth teams).
The coaching badges and licenses and whatnot deal with part of this issue, giving people working in the professional game some baseline degree of common understanding. (Do women's PL coaches have/need the same coaching badges as the men? That would be a smart and justifiable wall to break down if not)

But then the other thing is that players like that have a great amount of experience of the inner workings of the elite level professional game. They understand and have shown they can operate inside that culture, and people inside that world will know about them as people in a way the public at large doesn't.

That's not fair of course, but such is life.

I did read your post - I missed the bit about the players (rightly or wrongly) getting a leg up.

Wasn't Mourinho's first managerial role at Benfica? I'd call that a pretty big job.
But that's ignoring his coaching at top level mens teams before getting that job. So he did low level coaching and scouting, then got a job as an interpreter for Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon. He then became assistant manager to Robson at Porto and then Barcelona. He was then Louis Van Gaal's assistant at Barca. Then he was an assistant at Benfica before getting the top job.

I believe that in the future, a woman coach could follow a similar path to this and get a chance to manage a fairly big team as a result. Obviously, if they then start to win as Mourinho did, they can get bigger and better jobs.

But that's ignoring his coaching at top level mens teams before getting that job. So he did low level coaching and scouting, then got a job as an interpreter for Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon. He then became assistant manager to Robson at Porto and then Barcelona. He was then Louis Van Gaal's assistant at Barca. Then he was an assistant at Benfica before getting the top job.

I believe that in the future, a woman coach could follow a similar path to this and get a chance to manage a fairly big team as a result. Obviously, if they then start to win as Mourinho did, they can get bigger and better jobs.
So he didn’t start at Benfica then???

Back
Top Bottom