Should The First Ever Female Coach In The Mens Game Be @ a PL Club?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should This Experiment Take Place At The Top Tier Of Football

• Total voters
I didn't realise we had a thread on this, so I'm gonna copy and paste my post from the other manager thread here:

Another thing you would have to consider for appointing a woman manager straight from womens football is the level of womens football relative to mens. Is the Womans top division as good as Scottish league 2 mens? Let's say it is. Would we hire a manager from Scottish league 2? I don't think we would even consider it.

I reiterate that the only way I see a woman getting a good mangerial job in the mens game is to work their way up in various coaching roles in the mens game first. And I think this will happen in the future.

But to say we should appoint someone who has soley managed in the womens game is a little ridiculous, because the level isn't close. A man who manages at such a level would have to work his way up first - look at Mourinho as an example of that. Whereas a man who has played at the very top level tends to (rightly or wrongly) get a managerial start at a higher level to begin with, because of that top level experience.

The best person to manage a top flight male football team is a man, born with a cock and bollocks.
When you have money to pay for the best person then yes, that’s correct. We don’t hence we need to think creatively and look in the seventh or eighth tier of management in the hope we find a rough diamond

The best person to manage a top flight male football team is a man, born with a cock and bollocks.
Well, I'm sure that people used to, and some people probably do still, say that about running banks, driving cars and anything else, but I'm sure it's not entirely true.

Sure, it's probably more difficult for a woman, and there would be challenges not associated with a man doing the job but nothing that can't be sorted surely

Derby isn't a big job. Rooney is falling there and clinging on by name alone as far as I can see.

Gerrard talked about coming to Spurs by nutters.
It'll be a stop gap for both parties if he came to Spurs
No way will GeRRard come to us

If you read my post, you'd see that I said players who played at the very highest level tend to get a head start in their managerial career due to that playing experience. You can argue whether that's correct or not, but I'd suggest that's the reason why they are considered for jobs at the likes of Derby/Rangers. If you look at a manager like Mourinho who had no real playing career of any relevance, he had to work his way up to bigger and better jobs.
I did read your post - I missed the bit about the players (rightly or wrongly) getting a leg up.

Wasn't Mourinho's first managerial role at Benfica? I'd call that a pretty big job.

So he didn’t start at Benfica then???
I mean, that was his first job as the head coach/manager. But he clearly worked his way up to that position under the guidance of top managers at high level clubs. And even then, some weird politics or something at Benfic meant he had to resign quite early, then he took over a lesser Potuguese club and did pretty well, which gave him the opportunity at Porto. And the rest is history.

No

ab85d572-f3b2-4d08-bbad-9f8e7ef83770_text.gif

If they're good enough, they're good enough regardless of gender.

Not sure how easy it would be for a female to command the respect of the dressing room without having proved what they can do in what is ultimately a different sport. But I see no reason why a lady would be a worse appointment than say Remi Garde was purely based on gender.

Is female football somehow so drastically different from the men's game that a coach wouldn't be able to transition? Or are you suggesting that because she has a vagina that she won't be able to coach men?
Its different enough that they need some experience in the men’s game before going straight to the top.

What about the first ever Indian coach? First Asian coach? First disabled coach? First openly gay coach? First transsexual coach? First midget coach? First albino coach?

Stupid loaded bigoted question.

It doesn't matter what gender, colour, sexual preference, disability somebody has. The only question is on their experience, ability and qualifications.

Should a coach with only lower league coaching experience coach in the 'big leagues' - Why not?. Pep came from coaching the Barca youth team to coaching the best team in world football.

Is female football somehow so drastically different from the men's game that a coach wouldn't be able to transition? Or are you suggesting that because she has a vagina that she won't be able to coach men?
As long as one is qualified, why the F not?

Back
Top Bottom