Should we start a complete overhaul of the squad and rebuild next season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we start a complete overhaul of the squad and rebuild next season?

• Yes, sell Kane/Son and let Conte walk

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • No, keep Conte and back the manager

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • Other, response below

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Levy out, everything else secondary

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
We should just quit with the pretence that we are a football club

Sell all of the players and invest the money in real estate

Should be able to buy at least one studio flat with the proceeds

We're not going to get top 4 this season, and probably not next season either.

So where do we go from here?
ENIC appear unable to spend enough to keep us on par with our opponents, and so far, appear incapable of putting together a prolific enough academy to develop enough talent to offset our lack of spending.

Levy for his reasons (Kane?) decided to go for Conte rather than Potter or Ten Haag, who were the two most obvious positive-football coaching candidates that we could have gone for. I think what we need most right now is a coach like that.

Instead, we have Conte, who is good, but needs a certain style of play and player to make his system work, which requires a lot of spending, which we don't have. Conte can be both a great coach and not a good fit for Spurs.

If we aren't winning now, we seriously need to be looking at rebuilding, which is going to be forced on us anyways since Kane almost certain (imo) will not renew his contract.

I don't think Levy has the guts to do this though- he's too afraid of being the guy that pulled the plug on Harry Kane as a Spur- maybe because he doesn't really have a credible vision of what the club could be otherwise- which is probably because deep down, he's knows hes just a very good businessman that doesn't know shit about football or others sports. Shit- let's be honest- it's clear Levy barely even knows about working out- I'd put money on the average woman anywhere in the world to kick his ass in a fight at any time.

So Levy is bluffing, trying to save face and look important (so he can have ENIC give him a fat bonus each year), with no real idea what to do, hoping simply to take the least painful option each time, run out the clock, and avoid having to take too much responsibility for anything. Meanwhile he can collect bonuses en route to some huge possible payoff way down the line, and maybe, if he's lucky, he can get enough people to believe he did something useful to get a statue or plaque in the Tottenham area.

Levy and ENIC have NO credible plan, other than to try and make money. They don't know football, and they don't really care that much as long as they aren't hated too much, by too many.

The answer to what we need to do is pretty obvious though- get rid of deadwood and old players needing a change of scenery, get a coach playing positive, inspiring football, continue investing in young players with upside, aggressively grow our academy and loan/development efforts, and provide enough funds and time to credibly accomplish these goals. Get Levy away from any football decisions and get a board of international football experts, properly incentivized, to help manage the decision making of the club with regards to coaching decisions, scouting, and academy development.

At the very least I wish we'd move on Dier and Hugo. Dier for sure is just not good enough a player to occupy such a vaunted position in our lineup and team. Hugo is not a dominant enough player at his position that he should have kept Kane from being named captain for at least a couple seasons now. Us knowing who Harry is, I am certain this issue burns him constantly.

In terms of timing, it feels like everything has been totally mishandled by Levy, who appears to have the fatal flaw of thinking his human assets don't have a shelf-life (like his beloved real-estate) Basically we had plenty of opportunity to make better decisions but Levy, lacking any football or sporting sense whatsoever, has no sense of timing and continues to fuck everything up. This team needs a rebuild so bad, but has been doubled down on so much the other way, that any real effort to do so will represent a crushing loss of opportunity-cost in terms of both money and time.

I know I wrote a lot, and I am somewhat sorry I couldn't come to a more clear conclusion. I guess if I had to sum it up, ENIC and Levy suck, we need to get rid of them for someone better, and I don't expect good decisions to be made until they are gone.

Conte isn’t the manager for a long term, 3-5 year rebuild.

It’s clear this current squad isn’t going anywhere.

Between Kane and Son, we might be able to get around 150 million.

Is it worth even keeping them around or selling them and bringing in players for the future?

These are decisions we really need to think about now, then execute over the summer.

There’s no clear vision for what our club is at the moment.
Selling them in not going to create a clear vision. A new CEO might

Just back Conte ffs, he’s not gonna wank it on overpriced 32 year olds. His ex Inter side are flourishing since he left, good players at the right age

If there is a route back for us to be challenging like we were under Poch it is a LONG one.

Even in the best case scenario of Kane, Son and Conte all staying there is just so much deadwood that all contribute to this pathetically weak mentality we have. That takes a coherent plan and a lot of shrewd investment to turn around.

Both are in short supply.

Was it 2018/19 when Poch said we needed the painful rebuild? 4 years later we've just replaced the likes of Aurier and Sissoko with even worse players and left the likes of Winks, Davies, Sanchez etc loitering around doing nothing much.

So yeh we need a rebuild but we need to learn how to identify and sign better footballers first. Or we're just going to spin our wheels and remain as we are.

We need to keep Son and Kane for a rebuild to have any chance of success. You can't just take ALL the goals and assists out of the team and expect Levy and Paratici to not only replace them but add all the additional quality that we were already missing. We are talking about a hierarchy that thought Bryan Gil was the only attacking player we needed to sign after losing Bale, Vinicius and Lamela.

Keep Conte, keep Kane, keep Son, add quality in the required positions and move on the players who aren't good enough. That is our route to success, it is a miracle that we have two world class forwards that cost £0 and £22m respectively. It would be suicide to throw those two miracles away and trust the men who bought Emerson for £25m to replace them properly.

Selling your best players is not a route to success and never has been. Neither Kane or Son are luxury players like Coutinho, they are the core of the team. Without them the team does not exist. When you are on top of the world and have the right football structure then of course you can afford to be more ruthless with players who are fading very slightly, we are not in that position. We are not United under Ferguson.

We do need a proper clear out but getting the money levy wants for players is difficult especially when other leagues just don't have the money to spend big.
It’s not just Levy’s fees.

Other leagues can’t (and won’t) afford the salary of the guys on loan. These players won’t take salary cuts. It’s much better for them financially to turn down permanent moves associated with pay cuts and make loan moves with subsidized salaries.
Winks would be, I think, the second or third highest paid player at Sampdoria. N’Dombele would be Napoli’s highest paid player ( by a mile). LoCelso would be Villarreal’s highest paid player (more than Pau Torres).
None of them are worth it.

Change my vote:
Yes. Sell Son and if Harry doesn’t want to extend his contract then him as well. Get rid of Dier and the other cloggers that are ages past their expiration date here.
Start from scratch. Young manager and 2-3 seasons to experiment with bringing young talent.

trouble is who should be the manager for a long term plan ?
our second 11 are not even up to winning LC or ECL games without help from the big hitters
so its a lot more players needed than just 3 or 4
Conte isn’t the manager for a long term, 3-5 year rebuild.

It’s clear this current squad isn’t going anywhere.

Between Kane and Son, we might be able to get around 150 million.

Is it worth even keeping them around or selling them and bringing in players for the future?

These are decisions we really need to think about now, then execute over the summer.

There’s no clear vision for what our club is at the moment.

Listen to Conte. He is saying we lack experience and that does not come from changing the whole team. We are in the middle of a rebuild with many new players over the past couple of seasons. Some good and others not good but Ndombele etc have been removed on loan. We need to retain stability and make a couple of improvements not wholesale changes. Quality and not quantity. MU beat us due to the quality of 1 player yesterday and not because of a stronger team.

These are good points.

Who do we sell & how much do we get? Even if the club slapped on another £100m, what’s the budget? Think we’re a bit snookered with the current model.

Snookered is a good word here.

We cannot sign players that are better than prime Kane, Son and Lloris. BUT, Kane, Son, Lloris are not playing at peak.

ENIC appear unable to spend enough to keep us on par with our opponents, and so far, appear incapable of putting together a prolific enough academy to develop enough talent to offset our lack of spending.

Levy for his reasons (Kane?) decided to go for Conte rather than Potter or Ten Haag, who were the two most obvious positive-football coaching candidates that we could have gone for. I think what we need most right now is a coach like that.

Instead, we have Conte, who is good, but needs a certain style of play and player to make his system work, which requires a lot of spending, which we don't have. Conte can be both a great coach and not a good fit for Spurs.

If we aren't winning now, we seriously need to be looking at rebuilding, which is going to be forced on us anyways since Kane almost certain (imo) will not renew his contract.

I don't think Levy has the guts to do this though- he's too afraid of being the guy that pulled the plug on Harry Kane as a Spur- maybe because he doesn't really have a credible vision of what the club could be otherwise- which is probably because deep down, he's knows hes just a very good businessman that doesn't know shit about football or others sports. Shit- let's be honest- it's clear Levy barely even knows about working out- I'd put money on the average woman anywhere in the world to kick his ass in a fight at any time.

So Levy is bluffing, trying to save face and look important (so he can have ENIC give him a fat bonus each year), with no real idea what to do, hoping simply to take the least painful option each time, run out the clock, and avoid having to take too much responsibility for anything. Meanwhile he can collect bonuses en route to some huge possible payoff way down the line, and maybe, if he's lucky, he can get enough people to believe he did something useful to get a statue or plaque in the Tottenham area.

Levy and ENIC have NO credible plan, other than to try and make money. They don't know football, and they don't really care that much as long as they aren't hated too much, by too many.

The answer to what we need to do is pretty obvious though- get rid of deadwood and old players needing a change of scenery, get a coach playing positive, inspiring football, continue investing in young players with upside, aggressively grow our academy and loan/development efforts, and provide enough funds and time to credibly accomplish these goals. Get Levy away from any football decisions and get a board of international football experts, properly incentivized, to help manage the decision making of the club with regards to coaching decisions, scouting, and academy development.

At the very least I wish we'd move on Dier and Hugo. Dier for sure is just not good enough a player to occupy such a vaunted position in our lineup and team. Hugo is not a dominant enough player at his position that he should have kept Kane from being named captain for at least a couple seasons now. Us knowing who Harry is, I am certain this issue burns him constantly.

In terms of timing, it feels like everything has been totally mishandled by Levy, who appears to have the fatal flaw of thinking his human assets don't have a shelf-life (like his beloved real-estate) Basically we had plenty of opportunity to make better decisions but Levy, lacking any football or sporting sense whatsoever, has no sense of timing and continues to fuck everything up. This team needs a rebuild so bad, but has been doubled down on so much the other way, that any real effort to do so will represent a crushing loss of opportunity-cost in terms of both money and time.

I know I wrote a lot, and I am somewhat sorry I couldn't come to a more clear conclusion. I guess if I had to sum it up, ENIC and Levy suck, we need to get rid of them for someone better, and I don't expect good decisions to be made until they are gone.
What a great and reasonable post. No doubt some chopper head will come around and give a disagree without engaging because it truly is too sound of a synopsis to counter. I am in such agreement I'm left wondering if you are my multi? Wait...AM I YOUR MULTI FFS?!?!?!?

EDIT: NVM I got my answer...we cannot be the same person..

I like Airfixxx
unless this "Airfixxx of whom you speak is a new poster and not Airfixx Airfixx

So……..
at the end of the window I said that we had a bad window. I compared it to the Bale season when everyone was saying we “won the window” and said that within 10 games of this season, we will be saying it wasn’t that good after all.
I was chastised. I was told to go and support another team.
On the basis of the general analysis of the club on here and in the media, I feel like I’m owed some apologies.
We didn’t strengthen the first team - all the top 6 teams did apart from maybe Liverpool.
More penny pinching as always. RWB is the most obvious position. I’d like to see Spence given a run but as Conte said he was a club signing not his signing so as such we are left short in one of his most important positions.
We still have Sanchez, Dier and Davies getting game time. I expected two proper CBs (I suspect Conte did too) but we ended up with an off form for 2+ years CB on loan.
We didn’t get a creative midfielder; we didn’t get a right sided winger.
We are in the shit. Serious shit. Just wait until we are in the imminent situation where we need to replace Kane. He’s not renewing imo.
And who do we blame? Who else can we blame, but the clubs owners.
Shit show.
Apologies accepted from those who said we “won the window” to which I said we’d be in this toxic situation around about the 10 game mark.

Back
Top Bottom