Southampton Vs Tottenham - 3pm New Year's Day.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No one gives a shit about referees mate. We were just fucking abject and actually lucky alli didnt get booked for going down quicker than a cheap whore at every opportunity.

I remember following us in the 90s. First game was a 4 3 defeat to villa at the lane with my old man. We were 3 nil down from memory. Came back to 3 3, then conceded in the last minute.

Even in the dog days of the 90s and early 2000s we tried to actually pass the ball properly. This bunch are just gutless. I counted 4 times when alli gave it away and literally jogged and threw up his hands. Lamela and eriksen gave it away or ruined attacks by passing it behind runners countless times too. Moura was useless. We have zero identity. It takes us 45 minutes to even attempt to score these days. Our only tactic is to hope Toby lumps it but teams like Southampton and Norwich out playing us is totally unacceptable. I've resigned myself to finishing out of the top 6 this season unless we make at least 2 signings. A new rb, a proper dm, and ideally a new gk. The reality is sadly that we should be signing players like liverpool do. Identify the target and immediately sign them. Not on fucking deadline day like usual.

I'm excited about sonny playing up top. Last couple of seasons we have looked energised with that formation. But that is literally the only bit of comfort.

You surely can't believe Levy doesn't know......my dog knows. He's just a cheap tight fisted c*** who doesn't give a shit. IMO, he is the sole reason we find ourselves in this state.
Yeah probably. The only hope left was he would realise (very late on) & then do the rebuild. But deep down I know he is just a tight ass.

If you look at the 4 so-called fouls, one was asking for a booking for them, the other three were dives by Southampton. Watch the game again if you don't want to believe me.
Dean booked 20 players AND Mourinho. You don't book a manager lightly so he went out of his way there.

What I don't get is Spurs fans defending Mike Dean (again) against Tottenham.
Mourinho was booked for shouting at someone sitting on the Sothampton bench from a range of 6 inches. That got him the booking - "Managers should not leave their technical area during play" - I don't see the problem with it. Totally justified.

Lo Celso was booked for asking for a Southampton player to be booked. Again I have no problem with this as the authorities are trying to cut out one pro asking for another to be booked. Again justified.

As for defending Dean? The guy's a weasel, but the weasel and his officials didn't have a bad game today.

-No more starting Jan and Toby together
-Bench Aurier and play KWP
-Buy a new CDM
-No more starts for Eriksen
-Rotate Dele out every third game
-Kane rested every 4/5th game
-Play Skipp sometimes
-Play Lo Celso much more (LW/CAM)
-Start Lamela again at RW/CAM and rotate Lucas at RW

Just some ideas to get things moving...
Agree with a lot of this. I like that Lo Celso looks and tries to play forward.
I would like a new RB though rather than KWP

I think that game goes to show how important the 'workmanlike' players are (a lot of the time I believe they're referred to on here as 'championship') - but the Southampton squad is actual Championship level. You build on a solid base, and that allows your show ponies to look flash and impressive. Pellegrini fell apart with this at WH; the obsession with Ozil and Aubemayang will do the same for Arteta at Arse; City are dropping points without their consistent players; 'Pool are playing worse but winning more games?

We will be better when the likes of Davies is back in, and this also evidences the importance of Sissoko and Son. Son is no flash player, just gives 100% all the time which, in his position, makes it look good because 100% intensity and goals from a WF.

Consistent performance means you know what you're getting and can plan tactically. It also explains why Lloris is better than Gazza - makes less mistakes; Trippier was better than Aurier; Aurier better than Foyth etcetera.

We could probably also reflect on how poor most of the rest of the Prem is. The weaker teams have got better (ie, better coached, better defensively, and the TV money means they're able to buy a better standard of mid-table player) - it's the other end, the top end - where we are - that players are hard to find.

That was a hard watch, though and I'm not sure we have enough solid 7/10s day-in-day-out to perform for Jose at the moment. Kane / Alli are our star-turns - do we see consistency elsewhere (of a reasonable standard)?
You had a good thing going until you included Alli in there. He is emblematic of that which you say in the previous 4 paragraphs. His performances are the definition of capricious. You don't know what you're getting. Actually you do because in open play it's always shit but whether or not he scores.

No one gives a shit about referees mate. We were just fucking abject and actually lucky alli didnt get booked for going down quicker than a cheap whore at every opportunity.

I remember following us in the 90s. First game was a 4 3 defeat to villa at the lane with my old man. We were 3 nil down from memory. Came back to 3 3, then conceded in the last minute.

Even in the dog days of the 90s and early 2000s we tried to actually pass the ball properly. This bunch are just gutless. I counted 4 times when alli gave it away and literally jogged and threw up his hands. Lamela and eriksen gave it away or ruined attacks by passing it behind runners countless times too. Moura was useless. We have zero identity. It takes us 45 minutes to even attempt to score these days. Our only tactic is to hope Toby lumps it but teams like Southampton and Norwich out playing us is totally unacceptable. I've resigned myself to finishing out of the top 6 this season unless we make at least 2 signings. A new rb, a proper dm, and ideally a new gk. The reality is sadly that we should be signing players like liverpool do. Identify the target and immediately sign them. Not on fucking deadline day like usual.

I'm excited about sonny playing up top. Last couple of seasons we have looked energised with that formation. But that is literally the only bit of comfort.
You're a fake Spurs fan, you have the enemies name as your nickname. Get lost!

Jose is "here because of the players". These are his words in his first interview and repeated since. He's handing out contracts to these players and is delighted at doing so. Made it about him and his presence after Toby signed. Players that Poch wanted out in order to refresh the team.

It's on the manager mate.

This is his team, his selection, his tactics (whatever they are). There are other players to select from. Other players to blood. When Poch joined he was ruthless with the squad and his decisions.

He hasn’t signed off on a single incoming.

As I say, no love for the fella, but it’s just not his team yet.

And of course he had to be positive. What was he supposed to say; ‘you’re all shit’?

You had a good thing going until you included Alli in there. He is emblematic of that which you say in the previous 4 paragraphs. His performances are the definition of capricious. You don't know what you're getting. Actually you do because in open play it's always shit but whether or not he scores.
Haha!

I was including him as a luxury player - might not have been clear. He needs the others around him to make up for his deficiencies in work rate and consistency.
Can’t have Dele, Moura, Eriksen, GLC and N’Dombele in the same team - on any day you’re at risk of taking out five players before you even start! (Probably include Lamela in there, too, tbh).

It pains me to say it but Lo Celso does not look like a 55 million pound player. He shows flashes of being a solid contributor, but 55 million?

He looks decidedly average at the moment. Gets caught on the ball, which suggests he’s still struggling with the pace.

He has his moments though. Let’s hope he gets there.

If you look at the 4 so-called fouls, one was asking for a booking for them, the other three were dives by Southampton. Watch the game again if you don't want to believe me.
Dean booked 20 players AND Mourinho. You don't book a manager lightly so he went out of his way there.

What I don't get is Spurs fans defending Mike Dean (again) against Tottenham.
I hope you are drunk. Otherwise, you are plain stupid. It’s not a conspiracy against Tottenham. Mike Dean is a terrible referee. We were even worse on the pitch.

He hasn’t signed off on a single incoming.

As I say, no love for the fella, but it’s just not his team yet.

And of course he had to be positive. What was he supposed to say; ‘you’re all shit’?
But he's publicly said there are no incomings. He's publicly said we don't need any. He's publicly said this team can achieve under him. "it's why he's here".

Now, let's say that some of that is red herring stuff. Do you trust him to buy a good player? Do you trust him that he knows what we need?

We need a shrink. No room for sentiment. Get every single player to do a psychological test. If they fail, transfer list them. No time for losers here.

Back
Top Bottom