Spurs v Liverpool 16 Dec 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was always unlikely that we where gonna play Liverpool United Chelsea away and not lose a single game wasn't it.

We have played 3 big rivals away and taken 4 points and taken 6 from the other members of the "big 6" at home, and was really unlucky tonight

We all said if we was in touching distance after this run we would have done great and we are. It's frustrating because of how typical that was with us missing so many chances then the late undeserved sucker punch, but the race hasn't even began yet never mind being over

Liverpool still have to come to us in January also. As do Chelsea and United we have also taken points of high flying saints and many of the other London clubs who always give us a ballache have to come to us also West Ham and Palace as an example

Our last 19 games are a lot easier then the first 18 on paper.

Jose needs to get the lads to use the hurt as fuel to get close to maximum points from the crazy Christmas period and hope the games take there toll on the other around us

COYS

Last edited:
I never realised you were so vehemently Clarke-In until now. :)

.....Respect!
I don’t know about that but Bergwijn certainly isn’t the answer after tonight’s performance and previous form

Will be interesting to see if he starts against Leicester

I hope I’m not being misunderstood
He seems a nice lad and certainly puts the effort in but that’s not enough

His first miss was poor even though he was being challenged he should have hit the target

The second was shocking
All the time in the world and he still couldn’t hit the target with Allison beaten

Yes by Harry’s high standards he should have buried the headed chance but it came to him in a flash and was totally different to Bergwijns

A very bad night for all concerned and Klopp is a cunt!!

Jose needs to get the lads to use the hurt as fuel to get close to maximum points from the crazy Christmas period and hope the games take there toll and the other around us
Jose must be a sith lord

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

I don’t know about that but Bergwijn certainly isn’t the answer after tonight’s performance and previous form

His first miss was poor even though he was being challenged he should have hit the target

The second was shocking
All the time in the world and he still couldn’t hit the target with Allison beaten

Yes by Harry’s high standards he should have buried the headed chance but it came to him in a flash and was totally different to Bergwijns

A very bad night for all concerned and Klopp is a cunt!!

Salah would have gone down under less pressure then was put on bergwyn for the first chance. I think he should have cut in as there definitely going to be a challenge coming. His second is not easy I think it's an easy square ball to Lucus who just knocks it into an empty net. Can't blame Harry for that miss, as you say it was too quick but this again we suffer from another set piece in the last ten minutes in a game. First 80 we head everything away. It happens consistently.

Bill

Please re read my posts

I’m referring to Berwijn

Certainly not Harry

I illustrated the difference in Harry missing a sudden header which required an instinctive effort compared to two absolute sitters with time to hit the target

I couldn’t have made the difference any clearer

That’s why I said ‘an alleged striker’ but you misunderstood

Ok?

I hope that useless cunt never wears our shirt agai

Welcome to my world.

Bergwijn is young and has time to improve. Him and Kane were not clinical enough tonight, but were pretty darn good otherwise. This is just another part of the challenge in stepping up to the highest level. We know he can do it athletically, defensively, and offensively, but can he develop more consistency and come up in key moments? I personally think so. People shouldn't be saying things like "Bergwijn isn't the answer"- it just totally ignores his potential and likelihood for improvement.

He's still first choice attack partner for Kane and Son for me right now. I just don't think Bale, Lucas or Lamela would offer as much in the most intense games. Bale maybe, but I'm not sure he can go the full 90', and we already have one such player in our starting XI- hard to be able to afford 2 of those. Thought he had a good game just is going through a dry spell and wasn't able to take his chances. I really hope he gets his head down and works hard to get back into goal-scoring/assisting form.

The second was shocking

He hit the inside of the post FFS. Alison wasn't beaten, he was standing ion front of him, narrowing the angle, and Bergwijn beat him but hit the inside of the post.

Kane got put through, tripped over the fucking ball and then shot wide. And the header didn't come to him in a flash, it came all the way from the corner flag and was the best chance of the game for anyone.

I don't rate Bergwijn. Didn't want him. But he was no worse than Kane tonight.

Really, we barely touched the ball
We chose that though.

Just like in other games against Pool under Poch we had %60 possession in a second half at Anfield and still lost - again very unluckily.

Both times the gameplan "worked" but both times came up short.

Aesthetically I prefer the poch style but pragmatically I feel we deserved to win tonight. Not just draw but win the game.

You don't have to have the ball to win games. You just get forgiven more easily for losing if you're seen to have possession.

People will shit all over Bergwijn but set piece defending cost us the game. It's as simple as that.

I mean they definitely do have some injuries. Gomez + VVD are their two main centre backs, their most in form attacker Jota also injured and Keita/Ox have been on and off injured for ages.

Bottom line, they had 9 of their usual starting XI out there..... Lucky cunts that they are; Fabinho has taken to playing CB like a duck to water so even the absense of VVD has been felt minimally....

They still put out a strng team tonight but they had two youngsters while we had essentially no injuries.

Half the thread is banging on about Bale > Bergwijn, yet he wasn't available... No Vinnie for the bench (also ill apparently) and a question mark hanging over Ndombele as to why he didn't start....

Swings and round-abouts really.

Last edited:
He hit the inside of the post FFS. Alison wasn't beaten, he was standing ion front of him, narrowing the angle, and Bergwijn beat him but hit the inside of the post.

Kane got put through, tripped over the fucking ball and then shot wide. And the header didn't come to him in a flash, it came all the way from the corner flag and was the best chance of the game for anyone.

I don't rate Bergwijn. Didn't want him. But he was no worse than Kane tonight.
Bergwijn was twice through on goal in the penalty area and failed each time to hit the target
The post doesn’t count

Tough one, risky tactics nearly paid off and on another day with better finishing we win that game.

a good friend of mine absolutely hates the way Jose has us playing and wants him gone - says it won’t change (style of play).

I see it differently, yes I miss the flowing football pre West Ham collapse but Jose is changing the mentality of the club, setting us up to be harder to beat. Players are doing what he is asking - Aurier and Dier, even Sissoko have improved considerably.

Today, even Bergwijn whilst unlucky was trying his best but the question is was is it good enough? As others like Winks are finding we are out growing some players and I hope Levy continues to add 1 or 2 in January to build on monentum (where he has let us down previously). Another CB to allow us to play higher up the pitch, another defensive midfielder and creative attacking mid are priorities.

We are getting there IMO. Want to see others chip in with goals. Wished Bale was available last Sunday and tonight - Lucas is too similar to Bergwijn abs one or both need to be replaced as too similar. Need extra goal threat alongside Kane snd Son. Not sure also why Vinicius hasn’t been on the bench? Would love to have seen us bully and test their CB’s tonight rather than stand off.

im enjoying the journey but next two league games and the reaction for me will really show if we are good enough as on their day they are a match for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom