Spurs vs Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Frustrating we don't have another striker. Kane should have scored late on it was an easy chance; just place it the corner don't smash right in the centre. Still think he played well though. N'Jie despite his abysmal passing still looked a threat which was great to see. Lamela just looks too weak and doesn't seem to go past players. Should have won but we are 7th which ain't too bad.
I thought N'jie started of poorly, but as the game went on he actually played really well

I hope some Dembele-haters took note today.

:dembelefingers:

He was fantastic today. Really impressive.

The good thing is that the team clearly knows that it is misfiring up front. Lloris has been talking about it as has Poch, and that means the team will be working on it. I think it might take a game or two yet but I think we'll start to knock them in soon.

I was told numerous times last season that Kane couldn't lead a line until he was actually played upfront on his own. Have you seen Njie or Son play upfront? In fact I know you've seen Son play upfront, you saw him score twice too.
I think Son could probably do a good job but if he was fit why would we play him not on the left? Give N'jie a go in Europe, if he proves himself then great. I still think Kane makes us better overall though.

Who else can hold the ball up and work like him, no one in our squad. The amount of times today Kane held the ball up and allowed us to break the Liverpool press was impressive.

Comes back to the transfer window and not signing a striker, stupid fucking decision, should have kept Bobby even, if it meant replacing him with thin air which is basically what happened.

Our lame transfer decisions always hurt us and that ain't Poch's fault, it's someone elses.

:levyeyes:

Ofc, I don't think Kane is bloody useless. I just think he needs to rest for a bit, for his own sake. Maybe rest him in Europa and try to play N'jie

Clint's passing wasn't as bad as it looked, he just struggled with the pace of the game - he'll get that. He surprised me by cutting back so often. I was urging him to go on the outside more and use his pace. He grew into the game though. Looks like a fast learner.

I now have full confidence in our defence, I don't think I have ever said that in the +40yrs I have supported this club, during which time I have seen some of the best deffenders to play the game, unfortuatly mopping up mistakes from their inferior players next to them. In both the City game and today we had to deal with a team that pressed us hard for 20 mins, unlike today Citeh were excellent and pinged the ball around us but unlike in previous years (recent ones too), we don't panic, we don't give away penalties and we don't get sent off, all usually resulting in us being fucked. We are compact, we hold our shape and we are hard to play around and through and if a team achieves that they still have to beat Hugo. Always room for improvement and I'm sure the longer the boys play together the better they should get e.g need to work on blocking more crosses.

The bin dippers pressed well for the first 15-20 but they achieved nothing for all of their efforts. When they eventually dropped off the remainder of the first half was ours and it is yet another game of missed chances costing us the win. The second half both teams cancelled themselves out with us creating the best chances again. To be honest I didn't enjoy the 2nd half as there was little to get me out of my seat.

I can honestly say I am at a loss as to what a foul is these days, players being pollaxed no foul, players falling over foul WTF.

Dembele is a beautiful footballer, best performance from him in that 2 in front of defence. I still think he can offer the team more higher up the pitch, his ability to keep the ball should enable Kane to run off him, at the moment Kane is doing a great job holding the ball up, but would like to see him running into channels and being picked out too.

I thought N'jie started of poorly, but as the game went on he actually played really well
He's new to the club and league, has barely played yet and is young. Plus he was on the bench expecting maybe ten minutes at the end. All of a sudden he is going on after 10 minutes at a point where Liverpool were fresh and closing us down. No space or time. Harfly ideal and he was probably nervous as fuck. Once he settled he was absolutely fine. Thought he played well all in all.

So glad to have seen that live so as not to have ensured the Klopp circle jerk. Sounds like it was pretty hellish from reading through this.

Dembele - great to have him back and looking at his best
Kane - where have his shooting boots gone?
Clinton - after an appalling start I'm glad he picked it up.
Rose - I thought the competition for his place was meant to be helping him?
CBs - solid as fuck, and getting better all the time
Milner - should have been off
Ref - shocking. But surprise, surprise, no mention of him in the BBC match report...

The only annoying thing about today (bit like the first game of the season vs. Utd) is that this will be the last time Liverpool are this poor for a long while... (after all, it is still Rodgers' team) Klopp will get them into shape, that's just what he does... and no doubt they'll be everyone's fucking dark horses for every title every year until he leaves...
but today, they were there still for the taking, and we didn't take!
Frustrating... but I think the 5 horse race for 4th is probably more like 6 or 7 now...
Luckily, we're still on of them (I hope!)

I now have full confidence in our defence, I don't think I have ever said that in the +40yrs I have supported this club, during which time I have seen some of the best deffenders to play the game, unfortuatly mopping up mistakes from their inferior players next to them. In both the City game and today we had to deal with a team that pressed us hard for 20 mins, unlike today Citeh were excellent and pinged the ball around us but unlike in previous years (recent ones too), we don't panic, we don't give away penalties and we don't get sent off, all usually resulting in us being fucked. We are compact, we hold our shape and we are hard to play around and through and if a team achieves that they still have to beat Hugo. Always room for improvement and I'm sure the longer the boys play together the better they should get e.g need to work on blocking more crosses.

The bin dippers pressed well for the first 15-20 but they achieved nothing for all of their efforts. When they eventually dropped off the remainder of the first half was ours and it is yet another game of missed chances costing us the win. The second half both teams cancelled themselves out with us creating the best chances again. To be honest I didn't enjoy the 2nd half as there was little to get me out of my seat.

I can honestly say I am at a loss as to what a foul is these days, players being pollaxed no foul, players falling over foul WTF.

Dembele is a beautiful footballer, best performance from him in that 2 in front of defence. I still think he can offer the team more higher up the pitch, his ability to keep the ball should enable Kane to run off him, at the moment Kane is doing a great job holding the ball up, but would like to see him running into channels and being picked out too.
The fact our defence is so good and we are so fit suggests to me that we've got a good chance of winning a cup this year. The draws in the league could hurt us but in the cups teams have to beat us which is very difficult.

at the moment Kane is doing a great job holding the ball up, but would like to see him running into channels and being picked out too.
He's still waiting for something to happen isn't he?...on the other hand it's not apparent that our 3 ATMs are trying to play him into goal...he's picking up 'loose stuff' at the moment...Soldado suffered from the same problem...
So, back to you Poch..........

Was it me, or did Poch concentrate the attack against the Pool right flank. Since he coached him at S'ton, he must have thought there was a weakness that Chadli could use against Clyne. And he started Rose over an In-form Davies, so he must have thought Milner would not handle Rose's pace. And I think he got the plan right, but . . .
Chadli's injury took him out of the plan. And Milner could not handle Rose and obviously should have been booked a second yellow. "Best laid plans" i guess.

He's still waiting for something to happen isn't he?...on the other hand it's not apparent that our 3 ATMs are trying to play him into goal...he's picking up 'loose stuff' at the moment...Soldado suffered from the same problem...
So, back to you Poch..........
For me he is playing well and is a far superior player to Soldado who during his time with us was nothing short of shit. Kane is playing almost a perfect hold up play, today the ball stuck to his feet and he offloaded it well, couple of passes he should had released sooner but last year too, but he scored instead so no complaints from me. If you look at Kane's shots this year to those of last year he appears to be hitting the ball too well (que a baragrge of funnies and ridicule) what I mean by that is last year it looks like many of his shots were scuffed, many of them were also along the ground, but this year they are a nice height for the keeper and hit on the full again giving the keeper a chance to read it. I recall Hugo last year saying his shot was very difficult to read.
Son is certainly another weapon we are missing with his ability to run and turn a defence, so I am anxious to see him back for selection.

Next game is pretty big.

Next week you have Man Utd/Man City, Woolwich/Everton, West Ham/Chelsea, Leicester/Palace, Liverpool/Southampton - we have Bournemouth away who I think are another one of those who aren't going to sit back and will play into our hands a bit. Our rivals are going to be dropping points next week. Big chance.

Didn't see the game - how did we play?
Weird game. Poor for the first 20 minutes and then very good for the last 25 minutes of the first half (kane, NJie and Alli missing very big chances). Second half didn't really get going for either team but Kane should have scored. Overall a draw is fair and Dembele was our best player followed by our 2 centre backs.

Back
Top Bottom