Spurs vs Scum @ library || League Cup QF Wed 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They Wonder.

Apart from the ridiculous sponsor AND apart from the farcical draws broadcast from Thailand going wrong and drawing teams twice AND apart from the tiresome two legged semi AND apart from the laughably insignificant prize money which has failed to keep up with the rapid surge of increased investment in English football.

Its still a cup though and we should obviously go all out to win it.

Poch can't really call himself a success until hes won a trophy you know, and all our rivals calling us out for not winning anything defiantly WONT be saying "the league cup doesn't count" when we do win it. Football is about glory and shiny silverware and these decisions are in no way commercially motivated.

:levyeyes:

EDIT: BEAT THE FUCKING SCUM THO!

Disagree with this entirely. Poch is already a success by getting us into the CL 3 years in a row. I wouldn’t trade playing CL matches against Real Madrid, Barcelona , Dortmund, Inter Milan etc for winning a b grade trophy like the Carabao Cup and finishing 5th , qualifying to play the likes of Carrier Bag on Thursday nights. There are only 2 trophies which mean more than top 4 -winning the EPL or the CL neither of which we have any realistic chance of pulling off. So no, Poch will not be a failure if he doesn’t win one of those , neither does he need to win the EFL to turn him into a success.

Times have changed and getting into the CL is everything. Getting into the last 16 and avoiding Europa is an even bigger success.

For those reasons I don’t support risking our strongest team on Wednesday. A strong team yes,
but not risking players for who we currently have no back up or who need a rest ( Toby and Dele for instance ) .And I’d choose Gazza . He also has a track record of saving penalties...

. I wouldn’t trade playing CL matches against Real Madrid, Barcelona , Dortmund, Inter Milan etc for winning a b grade trophy like the Carabao Cup and finishing 5th
Its actually a genuine point here.
Nor would I. A club of our stature needs the balance of longevity.

I wouldnt even swap places with Leicester, Id rather wait longer to win stuff regularly while staying a top 4 club

Genuine question Shelf side Paul
You’d rather win the title once and never again (probably never win another trophy either) and never play CL football again......than be a top 4 club for the foreseeable future and win stuff, probably titles too, sporadically for the next 50 years?

Or swap our position now for a Carabou Cup and then go back to where we was under AVB?

Disagree with this entirely. Poch is already a success by getting us into the CL 3 years in a row. I wouldn’t trade playing CL matches against Real Madrid, Barcelona , Dortmund, Inter Milan etc for winning a b grade trophy like the Carabao Cup and finishing 5th , qualifying to play the likes of Carrier Bag on Thursday nights. There are only 2 trophies which mean more than top 4 -winning the EPL or the CL neither of which we have any realistic chance of pulling off. So no, Poch will not be a failure if he doesn’t win one of those , neither does he need to win the EFL to turn him into a success.

Times have changed and getting into the CL is everything. Getting into the last 16 and avoiding Europa is an even bigger success.

For those reasons I don’t support risking our strongest team on Wednesday. A strong team yes,
but not risking players for who we currently have no back up or who need a rest ( Toby and Dele for instance ) .And I’d choose Gazza . He also has a track record of saving penalties...

Wednesday is not about winning a cup. It is about beating our bitterest rivals who beat us only a couple of weeks ago. To me winning on Wednesday is more important than 3 points on Sunday although no reason why we should not have both. It is not about which competition has priority just getting revenge for years of defeats at Woolwich's home ground. We should go for it and not worry about the future.

Not on Sky? Astounding.

Shows you the Mancfest towards Spendiola.

Immensely daft decision even if I was a neutral.

?

K5BDVLV.jpg

This isn't our Cup Final (we're not WHU). There's an equally important (and just as tricky) game on Sunday.

I used to take the piss out of Scum fans for Wenger’s relentless priorisation of the “Fourth Place Trophy” over all others, and disagree with your statement whole-heartedly.

Probably a bad example to use given the recent news, but I remember Mourinho’s first season in charge at Chelscum, when he was king of hype, “The Special One”, and one of the first things - statements - he made was to win the Mickey Mouse Cup. Why? Because winning creates winners.

If you are happy for us to finish top four each year and challenge for nothing but get to play - and get spanked in - Europe’s elite stadia, then fine, be of that opinion. But I want Spurs to make that next step and challenge for the League, the FA Cup and even the Champions League. But I know that progress is only ever going to be incremental; if we can’t win a quarter-final leg of a knock-out competition against our hated rivals then how can we expect to ever commit to a sustained period of winning that is required to win the League? How can we look at, say, playing Real Madrid over two legs of a semi-final in the UCL and have the belief we will push them aside?

That belief, that winners’ mentality has to come from somewhere, and potentially winning the Mickey Mouse Cup offers a way into changing the perception, the self-belief and the overall steeliness of our players.

Prioritise ALL competitions, irrespective of their perceived stature. Win whatever we can and don’t be satisfied with just finishing fourth each season.

Last edited:

Yeaaaaaaaah.... i wasn't being serious.

GratefulBeneficialFreshwatereel.webp

The logical part of my brain is in total agreement with what you have said above.

The part that says that winning bragging rights, and twitter arguments and finally shutting up the dick heads banging on about us not winning anything is ultimately meaningless and that the wider context is to understand that the continual improvement of the club relies on consistent CL football.

But football often isn't logical. And i really don't want them to beat us once let alone twice this season. Or (it makes me bilious just to contemplate it) god forbid..... three times in a season. It was bad enough when West ham made a T Shirt.

Last edited:
R
I used to take the piss out of Scum fans for Wenger’s relentless priorisation of the “Fourth Place Trophy” over all others, and disagree with your statement whole-heartedly.

Probably a bad example to use given the recent news, but I remember Mourinho’s first season in charge at Chelscum, when he was king of hype, “The Special One”, and one of the first things - statements - he made was to win the Mickey Mouse Cup. Why? Because winning creates winners.

If you are happy for us to finish top four each year and challenge for nothing but get to play - and get spanked in - Europe’s elite stadia, then fine, be of that opinion. But I want Spurs to make that next step and challenge for the League, the FA Cup and even the Champions League. But I know that progress is only ever going to be incremental; if we can’t win a quarter-final leg of a knock-out competition against our hated rivals then how can we expect to ever commit to a sustained period of winning that is required to win the League? How can we look at, say, playing Real Madrid over two legs of a semi-final in the UCL and have the belief we will push them aside?

That belief, that winners’ mentality has to come from somewhere, and potentially winning the Mickey Mouse Cup offers a way into changing the perception, the self-belief and the overall steeliness of our players.

Prioritise ALL competitions, irrespective of their perceived stature. Win whatever we can and don’t be satisfied with just finishing fourth each season.

To the best of my knowledge we have finished 3rd, 2nd, 3rd in the past 3 seasons. In the first 2 of those seasons we were challenging for the title. So we have done better than competing for the “4th place trophy “ . And I believe we have wins against Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Dortmund, with draws against Barcelona and Juventus. I don’t see that as being spanked.

This year is tougher because Woolwich, Chelsea and Liverpool have all strengthened while we have not strengthened, played our home games in a half empty “ home “ stadium , had numerous injuries and more players reaching the later stages of the World Cup . Not to mention the Nations Cup and the Asia Cup.

In all the circumstances it would be a big achievement to finish in the top 4 this season and would cement the successes Poch has already achieved. More so than finishing outside the top 4 and winning the B grade League Cup. Wenger won the FA Cup. When they finished outside the top 4 it didn’t prevent the fans calling for his head. Likewise Conte when they won the FACup but didn’t make the top 4 . Likewise Van Gaal when he won the FA Cup. Now Mourinho has been fired despite having won the Europa League and the EFL Cup.

Being obsessed with beating Woolwich over and above our Champions League aspirations is small club mentality. Of course I want us to win . But if I had to choose between winning tomorrow night and losing to Everton over losing but beating Everton I know what I would choose. Potentially an 8 point gap rather than a 2 point gap and falling below Chelsea. Yes, you can say that we might lose to Everton anyway. Equally we could beat Woolwich then lose in one of the next 2 rounds to City or Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom