Spurs vs Scum @ library || League Cup QF Wed 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagree with this entirely. Poch is already a success by getting us into the CL 3 years in a row. I wouldn’t trade playing CL matches against Real Madrid, Barcelona , Dortmund, Inter Milan etc for winning a b grade trophy like the Carabao Cup and finishing 5th , qualifying to play the likes of Carrier Bag on Thursday nights. There are only 2 trophies which mean more than top 4 -winning the EPL or the CL neither of which we have any realistic chance of pulling off. So no, Poch will not be a failure if he doesn’t win one of those , neither does he need to win the EFL to turn him into a success.

Times have changed and getting into the CL is everything. Getting into the last 16 and avoiding Europa is an even bigger success.

For those reasons I don’t support risking our strongest team on Wednesday. A strong team yes,
but not risking players for who we currently have no back up or who need a rest ( Toby and Dele for instance ) .And I’d choose Gazza . He also has a track record of saving penalties...
Im sure mouse mouse was being sarcastic but i agree with yours and sammyspurs sammyspurs points

Being obsessed with beating Woolwich over and above our Champions League aspirations is small club mentality.

I agree with this, however my point was not that we should go out to beat Woolwich because it’s Woolwich, my point was we need to win a trophy. Not to shut up the media, or to appease fans, but to instill a winners’ mentality into our squad.

You made some fairly valid points on us beating/drawing against tough opposition but let’s face it, if we found ourselves up against them in the semis or even final of the UCL, we’d probably shit ourselves and not play with the verve or confidence that other, more seasoned, teams in Europe would. Why? Because we’ve won fuck all so far; we haven’t been in these situations before and come out victors.

Beat Woolwich or whoever in the quarters, then the semis, and then crush City in the final. Our players would gain so much self-assuredness, perhaps even arrogance, and they can lean on this in other competitions. If one of our key players gets injured and that subsequently fucks us finishing in the top four then so be it, them the breaks as they say. But we’d have to have a lot of bad luck for it to completely scupper our season.

To the best of my knowledge we have finished 3rd, 2nd, 3rd in the past 3 seasons. In the first 2 of those seasons we were challenging for the title. So we have done better than competing for the “4th place trophy “ .

Also, on this point I’d ask: why did we challenge (and I say this objectively, as in both seasons there was a significant points gap between us and the title winners) yet fall away? What are we missing? This forms the very essence of my argument.

I would agree with you on a fair few points about being a tough season for us, and that given the circumstances surrounding the lack of home stadium, the lack of signings, injuries, and us seemingly getting the short end of the stick in terms of fixture congestion, just finishing in the top four would be a remarkable achievement. But for me we need to start winning things and become less... er... Spursy. I fucking hate that term, sorry.

Unai Emery has vowed to play a strong team in Wednesday night’s north London derby against Tottenham.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ake-no-chances-for-tottenham-carabao-cup-test

So we do as well.

Right now with our injuries we don't have a starting XI to rotate, honestly. All hands on deck for every match at this point.

I used to take the piss out of Scum fans for Wenger’s relentless priorisation of the “Fourth Place Trophy” over all others, and disagree with your statement whole-heartedly.

Probably a bad example to use given the recent news, but I remember Mourinho’s first season in charge at Chelscum, when he was king of hype, “The Special One”, and one of the first things - statements - he made was to win the Mickey Mouse Cup. Why? Because winning creates winners.

If you are happy for us to finish top four each year and challenge for nothing but get to play - and get spanked in - Europe’s elite stadia, then fine, be of that opinion. But I want Spurs to make that next step and challenge for the League, the FA Cup and even the Champions League. But I know that progress is only ever going to be incremental; if we can’t win a quarter-final leg of a knock-out competition against our hated rivals then how can we expect to ever commit to a sustained period of winning that is required to win the League? How can we look at, say, playing Real Madrid over two legs of a semi-final in the UCL and have the belief we will push them aside?

That belief, that winners’ mentality has to come from somewhere, and potentially winning the Mickey Mouse Cup offers a way into changing the perception, the self-belief and the overall steeliness of our players.

Prioritise ALL competitions, irrespective of their perceived stature. Win whatever we can and don’t be satisfied with just finishing fourth each season.
Push on like we did in 2008?

Push on like we did in 2008?

Completely different context. In 2008 it was amazing to win a trophy, any trophy, despite how shit we were. Now it’s less about the trophy itself, more about how it can elevate our players to the next level.

Liked the rest of your post, but cant remember this ever happening (apart from once in 2011)

I was a little over-dramatic on the ‘spanked’ comment, but surely many here might feel we bottled it against Juve last season? That’s why I feel we need to develop our mental fortitude rather than just be happy with where we are now. A little push and we can achieve great things.

--------------------Gazzaniga------------------
---Tripps---Toby---Sanchez---Rose---
---Sissoko(Alli)---Winks---Eriksen---
-------Lamela-------Kane------Son--------

Subs: Vorm, Foyth, Davies, KWP, Alli, Moura, Llorente.

YES PLS

Completely different context. In 2008 it was amazing to win a trophy, any trophy, despite how shit we were. Now it’s less about the trophy itself, more about how it can elevate our players to the next level.

I was a little over-dramatic on the ‘spanked’ comment, but surely many here might feel we bottled it against Juve last season? That’s why I feel we need to develop our mental fortitude rather than just be happy with where we are now. A little push and we can achieve great things.
No, it doesn't elevate the players to the next level, it didn't with us, Wigan, Leicester City, Portsmouth, Everton, Swansea, Birmingham and Boro. All of these clubs never kicked on after winning a cup, there is one common denominator here all of them are the only non-top four clubs to win silverware who weren't in the current top 4 when they won a trophy in the past 30yrs or so!!!

Your example of Chelsea pushing on, conveniently forgets that the Chelsea side was the most expensively assembled side in the history of the game, maybe just maybe that had something to do with them elevating themselves.

Last edited:
R

To the best of my knowledge we have finished 3rd, 2nd, 3rd in the past 3 seasons. In the first 2 of those seasons we were challenging for the title. So we have done better than competing for the “4th place trophy “ . And I believe we have wins against Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Dortmund, with draws against Barcelona and Juventus. I don’t see that as being spanked.

This year is tougher because Woolwich, Chelsea and Liverpool have all strengthened while we have not strengthened, played our home games in a half empty “ home “ stadium , had numerous injuries and more players reaching the later stages of the World Cup . Not to mention the Nations Cup and the Asia Cup.

In all the circumstances it would be a big achievement to finish in the top 4 this season and would cement the successes Poch has already achieved. More so than finishing outside the top 4 and winning the B grade League Cup. Wenger won the FA Cup. When they finished outside the top 4 it didn’t prevent the fans calling for his head. Likewise Conte when they won the FACup but didn’t make the top 4 . Likewise Van Gaal when he won the FA Cup. Now Mourinho has been fired despite having won the Europa League and the EFL Cup.

Being obsessed with beating Woolwich over and above our Champions League aspirations is small club mentality. Of course I want us to win . But if I had to choose between winning tomorrow night and losing to Everton over losing but beating Everton I know what I would choose. Potentially an 8 point gap rather than a 2 point gap and falling below Chelsea. Yes, you can say that we might lose to Everton anyway. Equally we could beat Woolwich then lose in one of the next 2 rounds to City or Chelsea.

We’re challenging for the title this season

:pochohshit:

Just need a bit of luck with injuries

No, it doesn't elevate the players to the next level, it didn't with us, Wigan, Leicester City, Portsmouth, Everton, Swansea, Birmingham and Boro. All of these clubs never kicked on after winning a cup, there is one common denominator here all of them are the only non-top for clubs to win silverware who weren't in the current top 4 in the past 30yrs or so!!!

Your example of Chelsea pushing on, conveniently forgets that the Chelsea side was the most expensively assembled side in the history of the game, maybe just maybe that had something to do with them elevating themselves.
Notabadsquad please read this before every carabao cup thread post you make

Right, we know that they are going to be on it on Wednesday as it's there 2nd cup final of the season, there is no excuse this time for not being ready for it from the whistle. Cut out the mistakes for once and play with the same attitude and confidence that we did at the Nou Camp and we will beat this shower.

Lets see the best eleven we can put out please Poch.

------------------Lloris------------------
Trippier---Sanchez---Toby---Rose
------Sissoko---Winks---Dele-------
--------Son-------------Eriksen--------
------------------Kane-------------------

Sanchez and Foyth back in training so a toss up really on who Poch thinks is more ready but I'd go with Sanchez. His pace against Aubameyang would be an asset here.

Maybe see Dele and Eriksen switch at times but I'd like to see Eriksen playing the killer ball further up the pitch. Just hope Dele can get more involved than his 2nd half there last time.

Back
Top Bottom