Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand why they can’t train with the first team and still play u23 games?

I know what you mean, but first thing to keep in mind, they each have their own separate training sessions. The U23s work on their own drills, match day tactics and routines etc away from the first team session.

I can kinda see why training with the first team all week and then being sent to the U23s for a match day wouldn't work.

How did that team line up, shape wise?

Think its best to wait for DerryLennon DerryLennon match report, which are very good

But if you can't wait :
Spurs lined up with Whiteman in goal behind Dinzeyi and Tanganga with Eyoma at right back and Ogilvie on the left. Marsh anchored the midfield with Duncan and Shashoua ahead of him. They were flanked by Edwards on the right and Georgiou on the left in support of Tracey up front
Spurs Odyssey PL2 Match report - Spurs v West Ham, 13.08.18

I know what you mean, but first thing to keep in mind, they each have their own separate training sessions. The U23s work on their own drills, match day tactics and routines etc away from the first team session.

I can kinda see why training with the first team all week and then being sent to the U23s for a match day wouldn't work.

Perhaps a better example though would be with Dele when he was on loan from us to MKDons - apparentIy trained 2 days a week with Spurs first team and 3 days a week with MKDons.

I'd guess things fluctuated a little as to when MKDons were playing a match but maybe the 3 days were the 3 days before an MKDons match to ensure he knew team shape, tactics etc, so often Wed/Thurs/Fri whilst the training at Spurs was Mon/Tues

But the point is that you can devise a timetable to train with two different teams whether a loan team and Spurs or Spurs first team and Spurs u21's

I'm surprised Roles still isn't starting.

Roles has always seemed to be a bit-part player, rightly or wrongly. My own view is that Roles as a false 9 or Harrison are both better/more effective than Tracey, who I just cannot fathom at all. Perhaps if Georgiou goes out on loan it will create a regular spot for Roles in the side.

Roles has always seemed to be a bit-part player, rightly or wrongly. My own view is that Roles as a false 9 or Harrison are both better/more effective than Tracey, who I just cannot fathom at all. Perhaps if Georgiou goes out on loan it will create a regular spot for Roles in the side.

Is that not partly because he's a bit like Alli, in that he doesn't really have a defined "best" position. Before we signed Alli, I watched three of his games for MK, and questioned eactly where he'd play for us, because he was nowhere near dynamic and tenacious enough without the ball to play in (what was then) the CM2 of Poch's almost complete unwavering loyalty to 4231, which is where he was playing for MK (although one game he did start as an AM and get moved back into their CM2, as we already had Eriksen as the 10 as well and Alli clearly wasn't a wide attacker.

I quite like what Ive seen of Roles, he seems to have that Alli type knack of getting into the right areas - he reads the offensive game well - but like Alli, he's not easy to pigeonhole in terms of what he is. He's not a playmaking 10, he's not a 9, Ive not seen him play deeper in midfield (like a 6), could he be an 8 in a CM3 ? or as one of the two 10's in a 3421 ?

Hmmm....not really sure that should be a huge obstacle. Surely they could cross over and take part in a pre-match U23 session? And it's not like the U23 match teams are only made up of the U23 group, you get a real mish mash playing in there, U18's etc, and also players playing out pf position etc, so that can't be too much of an issue?

Hmmm....not really sure that should be a huge obstacle. Surely they could cross over and take part in a pre-match U23 session? And it's not like the U23 match teams are only made up of the U23 group, you get a real mish mash playing in there, U18's etc, and also players playing out pf position etc, so that can't be too much of an issue?

Like you, I don't personally see it as a big issue but for some reason it appears they want to keep the first team squad away from the U23 games.

Which in itself is very confusing - it's almost as if Poch doesn't see the point in the U23 squad. It's like his attitude is 'you're either good enough to train with me and the first team squad, or your not' - and if there are players he thinks are good enough for the first team, he keeps them away from the U23s.

It's why we don't really see players who are coming back from injury playing games with the U23s, for example. I think the last player to do that was Lamela, but I reckon we only allowed that to happen because he desperately needed some game time.

Much rather see Eyoma playing CB too.

We've got lots of CB's in that kind of age group in Eyoma (CB/RB), Tanganga (CB/LB), Dinzeyi (and fast coming up Lyons-Foster who I think will be playing u21's by the end of the season), plus Jaden Brown (LB/CB) who still seems to be here.

In terms of FB, Hinds is the only other RB I'd play at u21 level and Connor Ogilvie (CB/LB) is playing LB - Georgiou sometimes does but atm I think he's a better LW - with Brown the other likely candidate.

So CB position seems a bit crowded atm.

We've got lots of CB's in that kind of age group in Eyoma (CB/RB), Tanganga (CB/LB), Dinzeyi (and fast coming up Lyons-Foster who I think will be playing u21's by the end of the season), plus Jaden Brown (LB/CB) who still seems to be here.

In terms of FB, Hinds is the only other RB I'd play at u21 level and Connor Ogilvie (CB/LB) is playing LB - Georgiou sometimes does but atm I think he's a better LW - with Brown the other likely candidate.

So CB position seems a bit crowded atm.

Would you not say Eyoma is better/more potential at CB than Dinzeyi though ? I've seen much more of Eyoma than Dinzeyi, so maybe I'm being harsh ?

Would you not say Eyoma is better/more potential at CB than Dinzeyi though ? I've seen much more of Eyoma than Dinzeyi, so maybe I'm being harsh ?

Agreed, I'm not a big Dinzeyi fan but think atm he has the physique to stand out as a CB although he's not without technique. Think both Tananga and Eyoma have more potential - as has the younger Lyons Foster

Is that not partly because he's a bit like Alli, in that he doesn't really have a defined "best" position. Before we signed Alli, I watched three of his games for MK, and questioned eactly where he'd play for us, because he was nowhere near dynamic and tenacious enough without the ball to play in (what was then) the CM2 of Poch's almost complete unwavering loyalty to 4231, which is where he was playing for MK (although one game he did start as an AM and get moved back into their CM2, as we already had Eriksen as the 10 as well and Alli clearly wasn't a wide attacker.

I quite like what Ive seen of Roles, he seems to have that Alli type knack of getting into the right areas - he reads the offensive game well - but like Alli, he's not easy to pigeonhole in terms of what he is. He's not a playmaking 10, he's not a 9, Ive not seen him play deeper in midfield (like a 6), could he be an 8 in a CM3 ? or as one of the two 10's in a 3421 ?
I completely agree with you there. If young Roles had not come through our academy system and was playing at a lower level club , scoring the amount of goals that he does from the position he plays , I think he would have been given more chances with us . It would not suprise me if we end up losing him soon and him going on to a club where he really shows his worth .

Playing Tracey as a striker over Harrison makes absolutely no sense unless Harrison has regressed significantly. It's been such a long time since I've seen him play though.

I would love to see the U23s play 433 lined up with Skipp, TOB and Roles in CM.

Being part of the First Team squad seems to be both good and bad news - the bad news being Poch doesn't like you playing for the u23's, so playing time is very restricted in the first team and nothing else.

I was surprised Oakley-Boothe was not in the u23 squad for the game.
Surely Georgiou is training with the 1st team squad. If we are switching to 433, there are less players between him and the first team for the 2 spots either side of the striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom