Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Tracey as a striker over Harrison makes absolutely no sense unless Harrison has regressed significantly. It's been such a long time since I've seen him play though.

I would love to see the U23s play 433 lined up with Skipp, TOB and Roles in CM.

That's the dream, pretty sure it's never happened.

Ideal U23 line-up for me (not too worried on which keeper):

Shashoua Sterling Edwards
Roles Skipp Oakley-Boothe
Ogilvie* Tanganga Eyoma Hinds​

*clearly Ogilvie should be out on loan or sold, but whilst he's here let's make use of him... and once he's gone, we might as well play Georgiou there for a run as I think it's the only position he can make it in in the long-term.

Who is the most likely youth player to progress to the first team according to you guys? I don't follow the youth so no idea at all... Are there potential stars in there?
Do you mean aside from Skipp?

I'd say at the moment it's quite difficult to picture many more making the breakthrough because we've seen how hard it is to do so at Spurs over the past 18-24 months. If I had to pick one I'd probably say Brooklyn Lyons-Foster. I am rather fond of Jamie Bowden too who came on vs Girona, but he's gone under the radar a little. Intrigued to see how Troy Parrott progresses this season too.

Who is the most likely youth player to progress to the first team according to you guys? I don't follow the youth so no idea at all... Are there potential stars in there?

Do you mean aside from Skipp?

I'd say at the moment it's quite difficult to picture many more making the breakthrough because we've seen how hard it is to do so at Spurs over the past 18-24 months. If I had to pick one I'd probably say Brooklyn Lyons-Foster. I am rather fond of Jamie Bowden too who came on vs Girona, but he's gone under the radar a little. Intrigued to see how Troy Parrott progresses this season too.

Due to our inability to sign a decent back up striker to Kane, I think if Troy Parrott progresses as we hope he can, has actually the clearest path to becoming a member of the first team. If that makes sense...

But this could still be a couple of seasons off. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he played for the U23s at some point this season.

My in-depth match report of our under 23's 3-1 defeat to West Ham on Monday night. #COYS Spurs under 23’s 1-3 West Ham United: (match report)

Great write up, thanks.

Quite a few comments on the thread before the match on the line up

We have another u21 match on Friday v Liverpool, if you were Burnett would you put out a similar team to that v West Ham ? Or were there shortcomings in the line up v West Ham that 2 or 3 changes in personnel would overcome - and if so what changes would you think appropriate.

DerryLennon DerryLennon

We had a discussion probably a year ago now on how we ranked the current and potential of centre backs Dinzeyi, Tanganga, Eyoma and Lyons Foster - at that stage think we both thought the last might have the most potential followed by the middle two with Dizeyi the last ranked.

A year on and the first three played in pre-season (Eyoma in 4 gamest, Tanganga only in the last game due to his E u19 commitments and Dinzeyi also in the last game, Lyons Foster a year younger will probably be included next year)

How would you rank the 4 of them on potential ?

On another subject where do you see Connor Ogilvie's future ? As a 17 year old I thought he looked a very good prospect, but now aged 22 he's had L1 and L2 loans. Do you think he has PL or Championship potential or do you think he'll go to a L1 club ?

Last edited:
I know this opinion may be out of date now, but I still think Harrison is a better footballer than Sterling, first game I saw him, for the U18's, he was playing almost as a 10 and had lovely technique, composure and vision. As he moved up the levels, it probably got harder to show that, but I also think the club seemed to want to make him into a different kind of player, they wanted him to lead the line and be more of hustle bustle 9. I think the fact that he didn't bulk up and fill out, or was one of those quick off the shoulder types, didn't help his cause either.

One of those players that maybe isn't easy to fit into a system, shame though, because I think he's got more natural talent than some that are.

Great write up, thanks.

Quite a few comments on the thread before the match on the line up

We have another u21 match on Friday v Liverpool, if you were Burnett would you put out a similar team to that v West Ham ? Or were there shortcomings in the line up v West Ham that 2 or 3 changes in personnel would overcome - and if so what changes would you think appropriate.

If I were the head coach I'd change to a 5-4-1 formation due to the quality of the opposition and the likelihood that they'll field some experienced youngsters. Austin in goal with a back three of Ogilvie, Dinzeyi and Tanganga. Georgiou and Hinds as the two attacking fullbacks, with Roles and Maghoma providing a more attack minded central midfield pairing. Tracey (pace) and Shashoua as the widemen with Harrison leading the line.

DerryLennon DerryLennon

We had a discussion probably a year ago now on how we ranked the current and potential of centre backs Dinzeyi, Tanganga, Eyoma and Lyons Foster - at that stage think we both thought the last might have the most potential followed by the middle two with Dizeyi the last ranked.

A year on and the first three played in pre-season (Eyoma in 4 gamest, Tanganga only in the last game due to his E u19 commitments and Dinzeyi also in the last game, Lyons Foster a year younger will probably be included next year)

How would you rank the 4 of them on potential ?

On another subject where do you see Connor Ogilvie's future ? As a 17 year old I thought he looked a very good prospect, but now aged 22 he's had L1 and L2 loans. Do you think he has PL or Championship potential or do you think he'll go to a L1 club ?

In order of potential imo: 1. Lyons-Foster
2. Dinzeyi
3. Eyoma and Tanganga.

Ogilvie is PL potential for definite but reckon he'll go on loan to a high end L1 club before the loan window closes.

In order of potential imo: 1. Lyons-Foster
2. Dinzeyi
3. Eyoma and Tanganga.

Ogilvie is PL potential for definite but reckon he'll go on loan to a high end L1 club before the loan window closes.

Wow Dinzeyi has shot up the rankings - not totally surprised as he's done well in matches over certainly the 2nd half of last season and into this, but do you think he relies on the fact that he's more physically developed than the opposition, or do you think he has enough technique such that if/when the physical advantage goes away that the technical side is going to be as good (or even better than) Tangana and Eyoma ?

Such a shame that Poch seemed to sideline Ogilvie from the start, as other than speed,. he seems a decent option at LB and even CB, not unlike Davies in some respects.

Roles has always seemed to be a bit-part player, rightly or wrongly. My own view is that Roles as a false 9 or Harrison are both better/more effective than Tracey, who I just cannot fathom at all. Perhaps if Georgiou goes out on loan it will create a regular spot for Roles in the side.

Been thinking about why Tracey has been playing in the roles he's been given for quite some time - as I think we would all agree that he is physically a strong big guy with strong running abilities, but his general technical skills are probably below Spurs players average.

It happened before with Anton Walkes who was a big strong guy with good running, technical skills were ok (possibly better than Tracey ?), but again played as an attacking forward in Spurs u23's when it really wasn't his best position.

With Sissoko in the first team, with whom both Tracey and Walkes might be thought to have broad similarities, I wonder if its somehow part of Poch plan is to try to get some strong physical attacking players with good running skills to fit into his 'philosophy' - as if its not that, why are we doing it ?

Part of the problem that playing the likes of Tracey (and previously Walkes) it seems to me is that it reduces playing time for the smaller technical players which used to be part of the hallmark of earlier McDermott academy teams.

Personally though I'd be happy to play Harrison up front again, with Roles just behind him in a Dele type role (no puns, honest), as its got to be a better set up than the team sent out to play West Ham.

Been thinking about why Tracey has been playing in the roles he's been given for quite some time - as I think we would all agree that he is physically a strong big guy with strong running abilities, but his general technical skills are probably below Spurs players average.

It happened before with Anton Walkes who was a big strong guy with good running, technical skills were ok (possibly better than Tracey ?), but again played as an attacking forward in Spurs u23's when it really wasn't his best position.

With Sissoko in the first team, with whom both Tracey and Walkes might be thought to have broad similarities, I wonder if its somehow part of Poch plan is to try to get some strong physical attacking players with good running skills to fit into his 'philosophy' - as if its not that, why are we doing it ?

Part of the problem that playing the likes of Tracey (and previously Walkes) it seems to me is that it reduces playing time for the smaller technical players which used to be part of the hallmark of earlier McDermott academy teams.

Personally though I'd be happy to play Harrison up front again, with Roles just behind him in a Dele type role (no puns, honest), as its got to be a better set up than the team sent out to play West Ham.

Interesting concept, it's possible. If that's the case, I'd be extremely disappointed in Pochettino, for prioritising the development of physically developed players over technically developed players - harking back to what happened many years ago. And I'd be even more disappointed in John McDermott for letting this happen.

I personally think this suggestion is unlikely, but it would explain the persistence with the likes of Tracey. Walkes has, I suppose, been justified by the fact that we got a six figure fee for a player who at one point looked destined for non-league.

Lumping Walkes into that's a bit harsh, I thought Walke's technique was pretty good, if anything his issue was over playing as a CB.

But the emphasis on physique does seem to be a Poch influenced thing, and for me, it's a very worry trend.

Lumping Walkes into that's a bit harsh, I thought Walke's technique was pretty good, if anything his issue was over playing as a CB.

But the emphasis on physique does seem to be a Poch influenced thing, and for me, it's a very worry trend.

For quite a few games he was bring played more as a CAM, whereas his best position is possibly RB, and he's 'ok' to varying levels in a CB or DM role, but IMO not as an AM which is where he was being played even under the late Ugo Ehiogu

For quite a few games he was bring played more as a CAM, whereas his best position is possibly RB, and he's 'ok' to varying levels in a CB or DM role, but IMO not as an AM which is where he was being played even under the late Ugo Ehiogu

Yeah, agreed, I remember him being played at ACM/10 it was another of those rather bizarre "development of player" U23 decisions taken by McDermott/Ehiogu, like playing Amos as a LB for almost an entire season. I didn't think he was a RB either. I did think Walkes had some ability, enough to have some kind of career, but only if he could find a role - maybe some kind of DM role would have suited him, where is he playing now, and what position?

Yeah, agreed, I remember him being played at ACM/10 it was another of those rather bizarre "development of player" U23 decisions taken by McDermott/Ehiogu, like playing Amos as a LB for almost an entire season. I didn't think he was a RB either. I did think Walkes had some ability, enough to have some kind of career, but only if he could find a role - maybe some kind of DM role would have suited him, where is he playing now, and what position?

Portsmouth right back (mostly), but I think they believe him to be versatile enough to play most defensive positions and DM.

Amos playing LB was partly understandable as we didn't have any other LB's - but I don't think playing LB helped Amos development and may have set him back a year or more, so delighted that his Stevenage loan was a great success for him. Not sure he'll make it at Spurs, and he's already 22, but at least he has a chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom