Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the btl comments from the article. Nice to know think that we do things the right way, and that it's the exception rather than the rule of other clubs:

I have 14 and 10 year old sons who are both at London academies, although not Spurs. My 14 year old was at Spurs but released a couple of years ago and the one thing that sticks out about how they do things compared to other clubs that I’m familiar with is the brilliant pastoral care. His coach spoke to me first when he was being released, then to my lad with me there. He was upset but the reasons were clearly explained to him and about a week later I got a message to ask how he was; two weeks after that he got a trial at another club that came via one of the Spurs staff. What I’ve described is typical at Tottenham and not the norm at all.

Good weekend for the English kids in the Bundesliga. Sancho scores, Reece Nelson scored 2. Both tearing it up, Sancho with the best assist per minute in Europe I think, and Nelson now has 4 goals in 4 games (I think).

Been saying this for a long time now ( Spursidol Spursidol ) but we really should be looking to France and Germany to get our kids some experience.

We only ever had him on loan and he was 21/22 when we signed him. From the Hallfredson, Zeigler, Defendi, El Hamdaoui days.

Always smirk when I tune into Serie A and see Halfredsson playing. Reminds me of our true average days.

DqRO0O_XgAEnGaA.jpg

On the subs bench- Oluwayemi, Oakley-Boothe, Maghoma, White, Shashoua, Richards, Patterson

Strong line up and bench.

Skipp making one of his first appearances of the season at u19 level, shame as it means he's not on the bench for the first team

DqRO0O_XgAEnGaA.jpg

On the subs bench- Oluwayemi, Oakley-Boothe, Maghoma, White, Shashoua, Richards, Patterson

Strong line up and bench.

Skipp making one of his first appearances of the season at u19 level, shame as it means he's not on the bench for the first team

Is that really a shame?

He was only ever in the first team squads due to injury. Our midfielders are all back from injury (besides Dele) so there's literally no room for him. I'd say it was a positive.

Being in the first team squad is pointless for his development if he's not getting games.

Is that really a shame?

He was only ever in the first team squads due to injury. Our midfielders are all back from injury (besides Dele) so there's literally no room for him. I'd say it was a positive.

Being in the first team squad is pointless for his development if he's not getting games.

Clearly the only point of being on the bench is if he is getting games.

In the US pre season he played well and its a shame if he doesn't get some first team minutes.

Clearly the only point of being on the bench is if he is getting games.

In the US pre season he played well and its a shame if he doesn't get some first team minutes.

He was on the bench to make up the numbers and because he's highly rated (In all honesty, if Amos wasn't injured he'd have been in this position, not Skipp).

Being in the first team and not playing games is useless for his development. I'd much rather he played the U23 games (which he hasn't been) and games like this to continue his development (Whilst training with the first team if Poch thinks he's good enough) as opposed to travelling with the first team squad and getting fuck all games.

He's too young to make an impact out on loan so playing U23 football, at least for another year or so is good for him and his development. I am confident he'll be playing against West Ham in the cup though next week, we are going to get battered though so hopefully it doesnt dent his confidence.

Edit -

1-0 PSV.

Eindhoven take the lead following a poor corner that Parrott tried to clear, after a cynical foul brought down Markanday and got PSV their first yellow card

He was on the bench to make up the numbers and because he's highly rated (In all honesty, if Amos wasn't injured he'd have been in this position, not Skipp).

Being in the first team and not playing games is useless for his development. I'd much rather he played the U23 games (which he hasn't been) and games like this to continue his development (Whilst training with the first team if Poch thinks he's good enough) as opposed to travelling with the first team squad and getting fuck all games.

He's too young to make an impact out on loan so playing U23 football, at least for another year or so is good for him and his development. I am confident he'll be playing against West Ham in the cup though next week, we are going to get battered though so hopefully it doesnt dent his confidence.

Edit -

1-0 PSV.

Skipp was playing u23 football all last season, and often the best player on the field despite being aged 16 so the issue is that he's not going to learn much repeating u23 football this season.

Essential Poch does start to give him minutes this season as otherwise the risk is he follows the likes of Sancho out of the door to a European club who will play him - all PL clubs need to learn from the exodus of young Pl academy trained players.

Skipp was playing u23 football all last season, and often the best player on the field despite being aged 16 so the issue is that he's not going to learn much repeating u23 football this season.

Essential Poch does start to give him minutes this season as otherwise the risk is he follows the likes of Sancho out of the door to a European club who will play him - all PL clubs need to learn from the exodus of young Pl academy trained players.

It's about playing games. How can his development be any good by NOT playing games?

He is NOT going to be starting games for us in the Premier League consistently. He isn't world class. He isn't a game changer. He is Oliver Skipp, a highly talented 18 year old who trains with the first team. Harry Kane couldn't get game time at 18. Harry Winks and Josh Onomah never started games for us at 18. Marcus Edwards, regarded as one of our best youth talent prospects in decades, couldn't start games for us at 18 years old. Nothing that Poch has ever done with us suggests Skipp will get that either.

I don't think we have any issue with Skipp wanting to leave. I'm sure he's probably happy enough at 18 years old to be training with a Champions League level team. Whilst I commend the likes of Sancho for going abroad to get game time, the kids should NOT be calling the shots. If he wants to leave because he doesn't see a path? Than screw him quite frankly. Biding his time, continuing to learn and working hard will see him get his chances if he's good enough. I'm glad Kane and Winks didn't have that same mentality and I am certainly glad KWP doesn't seem to have that mentality either despite being given even LESS chances than those mentioned.

In fact, move away from Tottenham - how many 18 year olds academy footballers are being given chances by ANY top club in Europe right now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom