Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big fat zero of the 2nd year scholars used today.
Doesn't seem surprising as I haven't heard any real buzz of interest about any of them.

1Carrington, Eddie LW/RW
2Cesay, Kallum CM/RB/CB
3Craig, Matthew CM
4Craig, Michael CM
5John, Nile CF/LW
6Kyezu, Jeremy FB
7Lo-Tutala, Thimothee GK
8Lusala, Dermi RB/CB
9Muir, Marqes MID
10Mundle, Romaine RW/LW
11Robson, Max AM
12Santiago, Yago AM
13Solberg, Isak GK
14Whittaker, Tarrelle CF/LW

Lusala, Robson and John are probably the stars of that year.

A few other development players could have played today - I'm guessing that Devine agreed he would take part in preseason as part of his joining negotiations.

2 other freindlies next Friday and Saturday to see which youngsters play.

I do think the club has noticed its losing top talent by not playing them, so pleased to see a deliberate policy to play some youngsters this pre-season and loan out others.

Agree , shame if we Loose Roles , he’s improving all the time , heard his goal was from outside the box again , but not really worth him sticking around if we are not going to try him in first team pre season matches . Unfortunately Our loss will definitely be someone else’s gain

What irks me is the blatancy of it all; Let's roll out the arguments, arguments a clear as day:

- We are short om homegrowns. Period.
- Covid19 financial constraints
- Stadium financial constraints
- Unbalanced and bloated XXV squad with expensive misfits, , and many of them are occupy those very spots XX-XXV in the match day squad and are only starting because of the unbalance of it.
- That "dozen" (let's go with that assumed number of top tier prospects for the sake of the argument) would resume sight of a clear career path
- Creating, apart from the ones making a career here, new provenue sales assets in the tier of Carroll, Mason, Livermore and Caulker

It is all so very blatant.

And it doesn't even prevent us for competing for players like Dybala (don't want him, just a e.g.) - To the contrary, it clears expenses off the squad.

Just wanted to post a couple of clips I thought were noteworthy from Cirkin's performance. Nothing over the top (I'm sure we all saw the game) but moments that show how far along he is:

Just wanted to post a couple of clips I thought were noteworthy from Cirkin's performance. Nothing over the top (I'm sure we all saw the game) but moments that show how far along he is:

Could definitely see why Mourinho likes him.

He reminded me of a young Chilwell (the one we saw against us in the FA Cup one time for Leicester) which wouldn't be so bad. Though hopefully Cirkin has a higher ceiling.

Last edited:
Great stuff from JM today giving all the kids he likes some minutes.
We ran the game from start to finish.
Let's hope for a nice draw and maybe JM will gamble on maybe 3 or 4 of those featured today in the EFL?
Really liked White today.
Clarke and Gedson were treading on each other's toes.
Scarlet was only inches away from scoring.
All of 'em showed they were worthy of their selection today.
CCV's distribution put Mr Sanchez to shame. He didn't have any defending to do, though!

I believe there was a u23 pre season friendly v Crawley Towns first team this morning . Whiteman and Austin back Playing with them . Good to see them getting minutes. We drew 2-2 with Jack Roles and RJ Richards on the score sheet . Good to see Roles back scoring

Jack Roles netted a stunning free-kick as our Under-23s drew 2-2 with Crawley Town in a pre-season friendly at Hotspur Way on Saturday morning (22 August).

Leading through Rodel Richards’ 54th-minute strike, the midfielder picked out the top corner from 25 yards to put Wayne Burnett’s side in firm control of what was their second match against a senior League Two club in three days.

But two goals from Ricky German and Manny Adebowale in the last eight minutes saw honours end even.

The first half didn’t yield any real chances for either side, Kazaiah Sterling twice firing wide while George Marsh almost snuck onto Maurizio Pochettino’s low ball into the box with a late run, but the ball was touched behind for a corner, which came to nothing.

Spurs Under-23s 2-2 Crawley Town
Spurs: Whiteman (Austin 46), Okedina, Georgiou, Marsh (c) (Markanday 46), Trialist, Lyons-Foster, Pochettino (Tracey 46), Trialist (Richards 46), Sterling (Etete 46), Roles (Skinner 82), Bennett. Substitutes (not used): Asante, Cooper.

Anyone understand what the plan is for Markanday? I know the age group isn't great but every time I see him play he looks good and creates scoring chances/goals. I've seen him play all over the pitch it feels like, including left back against Orient. Don't really get it.

Also, I know he's played well at each level and always seems to score goals for fun but I just don't see it with Roles. I know people aren't thrilled with him not being with the first team but personally he looks like a Championship/League 1 player. I like him too..just not for Spurs.

Anyone understand what the plan is for Markanday? I know the age group isn't great but every time I see him play he looks good and creates scoring chances/goals. I've seen him play all over the pitch it feels like, including left back against Orient. Don't really get it.

Also, I know he's played well at each level and always seems to score goals for fun but I just don't see it with Roles. I know people aren't thrilled with him not being with the first team but personally he looks like a Championship/League 1 player. I like him too..just not for Spurs.
Roles scores goals.
Let's see what happens this pre-season but chances are he will be loaned this season again.
Markanday is talented and a good loan may be the making of him.
AFAIK both have contracts that expire next year.

Last edited:
Youth followers... WindyCOYS WindyCOYS sudoku Spursidol Spursidol ... question.

With the load of games coming our way, who do you see staying with the squad and helping relieve some of the senior players?

Seems like the following are definitely in the cards:

- White
- Bowden
- CCV
- Devine (possibly?)

Anyone else that you see making the jump and getting minutes in the cups and EL?

With the load of games coming our way, who do you see staying with the squad and helping relieve some of the senior players?

- White
- Bowden
- CCV
- Devine (possibly?)

Anyone else that you see making the jump and getting minutes in the cups and EL?
I was very impressed by CCV's composure and passing yesterday. Most were sideways but he played a couple of good forward passes as well. Foyth got a great assist but CCV lobbed an inch perfect ball to Clarke which created a super chance.
Maybe defender Fagan-Walcott and midfielder Marsh could be added to your list?
Doubt if we will see Austin or Whiteman involved unless and until Gazza leaves.

- White
- Bowden
- CCV
- Devine (possibly?)

Currently we have 3 Club trained players (UEFA terminology) in Kane, Winks and Rose (if he stays) so for players who are over 21 we could have either CCV (CB and has played both RB and LB on loan) or George Marsh (DM but played RB on loan and in the freindlies before recommencement of last 6 games of the 19/20 season). Both are 22.

My preference would be to offer CCV a new contract and keep him in the squad - but if JM wanted additional DM cover he might take Marsh for preference.

Players who would count as under 21's (so no limit on numbers, providing they have been with Spurs for more than 2 years) who we could use include :

Dennis Cirkin (LB/CB) - JM has said he will be part of 20/21 squad
Harvey White (DM/LB) - As Cirkin
Jamie Bowden (DLP - but yesterday came on as more of an AM)

Players we havent seen this pre-season in the first team, who might come in to next Friday or Saturday squad if they are going to play for Spurs first team might include (all u21's) :

Jack Roles - AM
Kion Etete - Striker
Rodel Richards - winger striker
Malachi Walcott - CB (but recovering from operation)

The first 3 obviously are to give us options in the final 3rd.

Worth commenting that the domestic window is open until mid October so we might keep a number of players to potentially play in the first month or 6 weeks of the season before loaning tyhem out to EFL sides. Gives us flexibility/options.

Roles scores goals.
Let's see what happens this pre-season but chances are he will be loaned this season again.
Markanday is talented and a good loan may be the making of him.
AFAIK both have contracts that expire next year.

Yeah believe me I get it...I watched probably 10 Cambridge matches last year. I just don't see him having the physical tools needed to succeed in the Premier League.

I'd honestly be far more comfortable with CCV in the squad than Marsh. Watched probably more Orient than Cambridge last year (and actually saw them in person unlike Cambridge) and just don't think Marsh is close to ready yet. Where Roles (who I clearly don't love) excelled in League 2, Marsh wasn't nearly as impressive for me. I've always felt CCV could do a job in midfield, especially in that destroyer role that Mourinho loves. Could also allow us to play three at the back occasionally.

Yeah believe me I get it...I watched probably 10 Cambridge matches last year. I just don't see him having the physical tools needed to succeed in the Premier League.

I'd honestly be far more comfortable with CCV in the squad than Marsh. Watched probably more Orient than Cambridge last year (and actually saw them in person unlike Cambridge) and just don't think Marsh is close to ready yet. Where Roles (who I clearly don't love) excelled in League 2, Marsh wasn't nearly as impressive for me. I've always felt CCV could do a job in midfield, especially in that destroyer role that Mourinho loves. Could also allow us to play three at the back occasionally.

Is he good enough for the ball for that?

PL teams live and die by the rythm of passing ...

When Villas-Boas took over in the summer of 2012, we were expecting to work more closely with him, providing a link between the academy and the first team – a path to promote players. That’s what Daniel Levy wanted.

Gareth Bale was sold to Real Madrid, a lot of money came in and Franco Baldini, who was technical director and in charge of transfers, spent the lot. It was almost £100m – loads of money in those days – and it blocked the pathway to the first team for a lot of the young players.

It’s for that reason that, in our first league game, away at Southampton, Paulinho, who had joined for around £17m in the summer, didn’t even make the squad. Nabil Bentaleb made the matchday squad and we brought him off the bench as Mousa Dembélé’s replacement. That decision sent a message to the players: it doesn’t matter what your name is – if you deserve a chance, you’ll get one.

We won 3-2 (below). Including that game, we won five of the next six in the league and drew the other one.

During that good run of form, we went to Old Trafford on New Year’s Day. You never go to Manchester United and think you’re going to win – you can’t be arrogant like that – but Tim and Les have this belief about them that gets through to the players.

For that game, we let Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney go and collect the ball off the centre-halves and encouraged them to play long. Then we backed our defenders to win the ball and the midfielders to sweep up second balls that fell in that zone. It worked to perfection. We went to Old Trafford and played 90 minutes without ever looking like we weren’t going to win the game – and we did, 2-1.

Towards the end of the season, we started playing a young Harry Kane in place of Soldado.

Soldado’s performances weren’t worthy of his place in the team, and while some managers might have just stuck by him because they knew how good he could be, merit was very important to us.

We started him at home to Sunderland and he scored. The next game, away to West Brom, he got another.

On top of all the players we introduced to Premier League football, there were youngsters like Ryan Fredericks, Adam Smith, Ryan Mason, Tom Carroll, Alex Pritchard, Steven Caulker and Kevin Stewart – all of whom we worked with in the youth teams, and who have gone on to play in the top flight. There are others who have forged careers in the Football League or elsewhere around the world.

We were grateful for the opportunity we’d been given, but we felt as though we repaid the club in our own way – by having the courage to expose Tottenham’s young assets to first-team football.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom