Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From the games he played in Holland and playing for his national team before Jose turned him into a defensive winger/FB weird hybrid.

Jose didn't turn him into anything, he plays as a wide forward. He's played the same role since he came here.

Asking players to work hard without the ball does not make them a defender. Bergwijn has just not been productive in the final third this season.

Steven Bergwijn has suffered from all manner of online abuse, including racial and a death threat this season. Recently we reported that he’d limited who could reply to his Instagram account. The boy’s Twitter account has remained idle for many months now.

Now, all Spurs-related images from this season (except FIFA ones which were presumably paid endorsements) have been suddenly deleted from his Instagram account.
This makes me feel sad.
Tottenham fans abused him on Instagram after that miss against Liverpool and tbh yes his end product is lacking but of all our players he works his ass off the most and he's the lowest on my list of players I'd take aim at.

Really hope he gets his goal soon and starts proving people wrong.

We have some actual shit players Eg. Dier and Doherty , Bergwijn is not one of them.

I'd definitely not rule out Bergwijn. Think he's had struggles with his body, confidence and the teams style of play. Sure, if he was a Mane/Sterling level elite forward he'd have overcome that, but hopefully an arm around the shoulder and some hard work on his part can help him turn the corner and chip in before the season is out. Son will be run into the ground if he doesn't step up a bit.

Jose didn't turn him into anything, he plays as a wide forward. He's played the same role since he came here.

Asking players to work hard without the ball does not make them a defender. Bergwijn has just not been productive in the final third this season.

Nope.

He plays as a wide forward - yes

But Jose wants him to do more tracking back than usual so as to reduce load on Son, and acts as decoy on right to take defenders away from Kane and Son which has worked well - hence Kane/Son stats.

Been carrying an injury so not been in squad in last week or two ?

But if all we do is use counting stats without looking at context then we miss a massive part of what actually happens out there.

Bergwijn has spent a large part of the season being asked to not attack but instead spend most of his time playing a defensive role even though he is lined up as a winger. Are we now going to crap on him because he doesn't put up stats in that role?

Moura was by far the worst player for us today, continually flubbing chances, but because we were on and others were better around him he got gifted a chance to score a goal most of us would have converted, so he gets praise for others set him up?

For me the reality is neither one has been close to good enough in terms of attacking this season so if all Moura has to fall back on is that it shows how weak he is. Bergwijn has been far from good enough but considering what he has been asked to do he has no doubt been better than Moura.
Naw

Still have faith - would like him to see him play with Bale, Kane, Son and Ndombele as he’s a footballers footballer. Good touch, unselfish and moves the ball quickly

From the games he played in Holland and playing for his national team before Jose turned him into a defensive winger/FB weird hybrid.

Bergwijn has 1 G + 1 A for the Dutch NT in 10 competitive (non-friendlies) matches (744 minutes).

In his best season at PSV, (2018/19) Bergwijn's G+A/90 was 0.82. That was 7th best on the squad, behind Cody Gakpo (1.35), Donyell Malen (1.28), Erick Gutiérrez (0.98), Luuk de Jong (0.97), Hirving Lozano (0.92) and Gastón Pereiro (0.88).

Bergwijn only scored double digits (14) one season for PSV. Goals against the likes of Zwolle, De Graafschap, Heracles, Utrecht and a couple of braces against the mighty Excelsior and Willem II.

I like Bergwijn. He's a tidy player whose apparent impressive physicality doesn't seem so impressive now that he's playing with the big boys in the Premier League.

But, fucking hell you are all over the place. "Wolfsberger are shit" yet they advance out of their group over Feyenoord (beating them 5-1 on aggregate) and perennial CL/EL mainstay CSKA Moscow, who come from a league with a higher UEFA coefficient than the Eredivisie.

Last edited:
I think Bergie is an immense talent but has just become collateral damage in Jose's plans.

Consider this.
Kane and Son are automatically on the team sheet. We've been hoping Bale will hit his strides, and he has.
Lucas and Lamela are preferred behind them at the moment. I can't tell you why, neither can half this forum and the other half doesn't believe them anyway. Maybe work rate? Agression? Not sure.
We're hoping Dele gets back in (with a better work rate if Jose's gotten his point across) who is a proven premier League player already and may hit ridiculous heights again, if Jose has gotten his point across. Let's not forget Gio has to come back and is capable of playing on a wing I imagine.

I just don't see room for him at the moment, and I always say it takes at least a year for most players to adapt to the Premier League if they're coming from a foreign league. Maybe he has some personal things in his life like Tanguy did for the first bit as well, it's a big change I imagine.

I'm hoping that now that Jose seems to know his best 11 that he will start working on and tinkering with the EL team; easier opposition with a relatively closer level to the Dutch league, chance to build his confidence and develop pitch-relatuonships with other players and it'll let either Son or Bale get rest for the last push that could still happen.

I think it also doesn't help that we don't have a set second striker who he can work with in training to have a better understanding with the other forward player since right now no one knows who will be there next year.

Wait, what did I just read?

Collateral damage in Jose's plans? Can't tell why Lucas is preferred to Bergwijn? No room in the team?

That is so damn agenda driven stuff.
If anything, Bergwijn has got more game time than he has earned, based on his output during this season. He has been given every opportunity and at some point player himself has to take these opportunities. No one should be granted time. Even Bale had to start firing before he got the starting spot.

Once more - we have scored round 100 goals this season. He has played against very different level of opposition, yet over those chances he has scored 0 goals and given 6 assists, so despite playing quite significant amount of time, he has had hand in 6% of our total goals. That is way less then Kane, Son, Moura, Bale, Vinicius, Alli. And Alli has got half the game time of Bergwijn. Only place one could have questions is Lamela vs Bergwijn in all honesty.

Wait, what did I just read?

Collateral damage in Jose's plans? Can't tell why Lucas is preferred to Bergwijn? No room in the team?

That is so damn agenda driven stuff.
If anything, Bergwijn has got more game time than he has earned, based on his output during this season. He has been given every opportunity and at some point player himself has to take these opportunities. No one should be granted time. Even Bale had to start firing before he got the starting spot.

Once more - we have scored round 100 goals this season. He has played against very different level of opposition, yet over those chances he has scored 0 goals and given 6 assists, so despite playing quite significant amount of time, he has had hand in 6% of our total goals. That is way less then Kane, Son, Moura, Bale, Vinicius, Alli. And Alli has got half the game time of Bergwijn. Only place one could have questions is Lamela vs Bergwijn in all honesty.

6 assists? I don’t remember Bergwijn getting 6 assists mate. Show us those stats. I swear it was something like 3. Regardless, Bergwijn isn’t good enough and I think we have proven that this season

Nope.

He plays as a wide forward - yes

But Jose wants him to do more tracking back than usual so as to reduce load on Son, and acts as decoy on right to take defenders away from Kane and Son which has worked well - hence Kane/Son stats.

Been carrying an injury so not been in squad in last week or two ?

"Hence Kane/Son stats" - not quite.
If that would be true, both of them should have really suffered in terms of their output without Bergwijn. But they haven't.

I agree that he made some useful runs that confused opposite defenders, which allowed some space to Kane or Son. But I would argue that if as an alternative we would have had goal threat such as Bale is now instead of Bergwijn, defenders would have committed even more to this position leaving even more room to Kaneson duo.

And no, he has not been injured. He has not been picked, as I have stressed many times here - his output from attacking players is lagging far behind Kane, Son, Vinicius, Bale, Alli and Moura. Plus Mou prefers Lamela to him - currently Bergwijn is just last pick for attacking position. Simple as.

P.S that does not mean that anyone would have any right to abuse or threaten or just be rude direct to him. No excuse for that at all. I personally cheer for him to start performing better and prove himself. Just pointing out that right now, other players are more deserving of playing time.

6 assists? I don’t remember Bergwijn getting 6 assists mate. Show us those stats. I swear it was something like 3. Regardless, Bergwijn isn’t good enough and I think we have proven that this season

This is data from Transfermarkt; based on all comps.
3 in EPL
1 in EL
2 in EL qualifiers

I took all goals from all comps as basis of comparison, so only honest to consider all those for Bergwijn as well.

Bergwijn has 1 G + 1 A for the Dutch NT in 10 competitive (non-friendlies) matches (744 minutes).

In his best season at PSV, (2018/19) Bergwijn's G+A/90 was 0.82. That was 7th best on the squad, behind Cody Gakpo (1.35), Donyell Malen (1.28), Erick Gutiérrez (0.98), Luuk de Jong (0.97), Hirving Lozano (0.92) and Gastón Pereiro (0.88).

Bergwijn only scored double digits (14) one season for PSV. Goals against the likes of Zwolle, De Graafschap, Heracles, Utrecht and a couple of braces against the mighty Excelsior and Willem II.

I like Bergwijn. He's a tidy player whose apparent impressive physicality doesn't seem so impressive now that he's playing with the big boys in the Premier League.

But, fucking hell you are all over the place. "Wolfsberger are shit" yet they advance out of their group over Feyenoord (beating them 5-1 on aggregate) and perennial CL/EL mainstay CSKA Moscow, who come from a league with a higher UEFA coefficient than the Eredivisie.

The Office Reaction GIF

"Oh, no. Mou is forcing him to become defender. That fcking dinasour of a coahch. Bo hoo"...
Has to rise his contribution and output.

That being said... I just started to think about his potential role, given what he has to offer and where he struggles... could we maybe try him as 3rd CM? He has good ball control, he is aware of what goes on around him, he can read the game, has good engine and has strenght.

Why not try smth like this -

--Sissoko-Ndombele-Bergwijn--
----------Alli------Lamela----------
-------------Vinicius----------------

In EL against Zagreb?
Both Sissoko and Bergwijn could support their fullbacks, yet no end product is expected from them. They would be more ball-carrying players who also do lot of pressing in the middle of the park while Ndombele could spread longer passes around. Alli and Lamela could support and/or play off from Vinicius. Actually I like this idea.

We HAVE TO find moments where Kane, Son and Bale can rest, and we all know NLD is coming up.

Back
Top Bottom