Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why did we actually buy this guy?

Too similar to our other wingers and the manager doesn't even play him

I can see why we bought him- a young talented player for a reasonable fee, but you are right if we aren't going to play him than what is the point?

There is no doubt that he is a better player than Moura. There is no doubt that he offers more attacking which we desperately need and to be honest I don't think he hurts us defensively compared to Moura either.

Like many of our recent decisions- line-ups, subs, transfers- we get part of it right- buying Bergwijn, subbing off Alli- but then screw up the second part- not playing him, putting on Sissoko.

Lloris, Kane, Son, GLC, Bergwijn, Toby, Doherty (in that order) should be written in permanent marker (assuming healthy) in the starting 11 for each and every PL game this year. There is no reason for them not to be nailed on starters every game but instead we will get Moura sent out there because he tries hard and Dier because he supposedly has some sort of attitude.

I think he's got potential but if the manager never starts him, he'll never fulfill it.

Problem he's got is Jose doesn't seem to fancy Son\Kane\Bergwijn, he'd rather have the more defensively responsible Lucas on the right. Which is highly ironic as he then plays a more attacking full back on that side. Why not just have a right-sided attacker who can actually do the attacking down that side?

It's ass-backwards thinking typical of Jose at the moment.

I think he's got potential but if the manager never starts him, he'll never fulfill it.

Problem he's got is Jose doesn't seem to fancy Son\Kane\Bergwijn, he'd rather have the more defensively responsible Lucas on the right. Which is highly ironic as he then plays a more attacking full back on that side. Why not just have a right-sided attacker who can actually do the attacking down that side?

It's ass-backwards thinking typical of Jose at the moment.

Is it ironic... or for a reason?

Almost like the manager prefers balance on the flanks. One more offensive - one more defensive.

Personally not convinced Bergwijn Kane Son would work. Hence why I am confused to why they bought him at all.

Don't think he's a bad player... just not the kind of player we needed at the time, nor now. If we'd saved the 30m we spent on him we could have bought a 50m midfielder like Aouar or even Thiago and spent 40m on a striker.

Confusing recruitment.

EDIT: I see this tweet is actually from July, so not sure why it came up on my reddit thread today, but the question remains.

How do folks feel about this statement?

Me personally, I don't understand how this kid is behind Lucas. I get how Jose likes that Lucas runs a lot and has a leap on him, but Bergwijn doesn't just sit there and not come into our defensive third. His involvement going forward is also far more intelligent.

When will this kid usurp Lucas?

EDIT: I see this tweet is actually from July, so not sure why it came up on my reddit thread today, but the question remains.

Me personally, I don't understand how this kid is behind Lucas. I get how Jose likes that Lucas runs a lot and has a leap on him, but Bergwijn doesn't just sit there and not come into our defensive third. His involvement going forward is also far more intelligent.

Yeah this makes sense. I actually prefer Lucas as a super sub to come on against tired legs but it all depends on the tactics on the day and the opposition. Lucas was subbed against Soton for Lamela to run around and kick people around the 60 minute mark.

They are just asking fan favourite questions as they are trying to bait Jose for a headline. You can bet anything they'd be asking about Lucas if the situation was reversed.

I think Jose has a point re the other managers, Klopp was never question about not playing Keita, still isn't. It was the same with Poch as well.

But there is a fan consensus that Bergeijn’s performances have been better than Lucas’s when he has played. So feel jorno’s are right in this case to push for explanations.

Were I think the manager should be cut some slack for example was the incessant questions about playing Parrott, it should be fucking obvious why he wasn't getting selected.

He absolutely should be starting over Lucas in the league, and until bale is fit and pushing for a start. Lucas has nowhere near the quality on the ball that Stevie has, and I really couldn't care less if he runs a bit harder when he isn't affecting the attacking play at all

I think Jose has a point re the other managers, Klopp was never question about not playing Keita, still isn't. It was the same with Poch as well.

But there is a fan consensus that Bergeijn’s performances have been better than Lucas’s when he has played. So feel jorno’s are right in this case to push for explanations.

Were I think the manager should be cut some slack for example was the incessant questions about playing Parrott, it should be fucking obvious why he wasn't getting selected.
It was a good question to ask, just worded badly by the journo so no wonder Jose responded as he did.

I have faith in Steven becoming an important part of our attack. Either he usurps Lucas through sheer will or whoever replaces Jose whenever he leaves will see that Steven offers more in attack.

It is a matter of time.

We bought him in January and he's 22 years old, let's calm down. He has shown his quality already so now he just has to get used to the robust nature of the PL.

He's a good lad with a good attitude, work hard and he will get minutes.

We bought him in January and he's 22 years old, let's calm down. He has shown his quality already so now he just has to get used to the robust nature of the PL.

He's a good lad with a good attitude, work hard and he will get minutes.

100%.

It's now a squad game, bar the exceptional and uber fit, once we talk outside the bsck 5.

People on here are simpletons at times.

As long as the manager is not berating players then it's just about rotation.

I think if we're all patient, we'll see a fit Bergwijn tearing shit up.
And Moura dropping to his rightful place on the bench. He can't live off of one performance from 18 months ago

Back
Top Bottom