Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

GLC played a perfect pass to him today in acres of space and it clipped his heels went backwards and gave poss to Liverpool.
Summed him up. It's a shame.
The pass was a terrific spot by Lo Celso, just as the run was superb by Bergwijn, he wasn't in acres of space though, he was between two Liverpool players who had doubled up on him. He made the run between them and the ball hit his heels, so would love to know how he is to outsprint two Liverpool players, whilst running between them and time a jump perfectly in the air so the ball simultaneously can roll beneath him.

LOL

The difference between us and Liverpool is they have a top front 3 and we have a top front 2. He can do all of the defensive work he likes, but if he can't finish either of those chances he's not good enough to be starting in a title contending team.
LOL! So why the fuck didn't Mane score then? He had double the shots Bergwjin had. Salah had four shots too, 3 were virtual pass backs to Lloris, his goal was a massive deflection.

Last edited:
Sorry but he was embarrassing. He literally can not dribble past his man, like wtf? was he this bad in the Eredivisie?

I get missing one easy chance like he did but he legitimately didn't do one thing right all game. One of the worst individual performances from a Spurs player in years.

Running a lot is fine but he has to ride the bench for a while now. Shocking.

If this level of exaggeration is the norm over the last few pages I think I might skip the rest. :mourbye:

Can I just remind people that, in relation to his first so-called 'unforgivable miss':

- He created the chance himself due to his aggressive, persistent pressing.
- Despite being challenged as he got his shot off, it literally shaved the keeper's finger tips on the way past the far post.... Any further inside and Allison would have got a full hand onto the shot anyway.

Yeh, the 2nd was a waste, but it won't be the last chance spurned by a WF between now and the end of the season.

Elsewhere his defensive game was decent and he showed good energy.... We didn't lose exclusively because of his 2nd miss so the villain-isation of him is, as per usual, way OTT.

Funny thing is that prior to this match there was a massive clamour for Lucas to start instead of Stevie; yet he was all but universally regarded as being shite when he did come on tonight.

LOL! So why the fuck didn't Mane score then? He had double the shots Bergwjin had. Salah had four shots two, 3 were virtual pass backs to Lloris, his goal was a massive deflection.
To be fair i think Mane's got enough credit in the bank to be allowed an off night. Poch wanted to sign Mane before Liverpool got in there (or more likely outbid us).

I think we'd all be a lot happier if our front 3 was Son/Kane/Mane.

My sole gripe with him was his first “chance”. He'd dome brilliantly to get into the position, but if he squares that to Sonny - it’s a goal. IMO it was the classic “caught in two minds” that ends up looking shit.
He pressed well, defended well & was a gnats bollock away with his second chance.
I’m really not seeing that he was shit tonight or that he cost us the game.
Harry deciding that he’d try to head it so hard into the ground that he completely lost his bearings and managed to bounce it over the bar from 6 yards was equally culpable. As was some pretty amateurish defending for Firminhos goal.

To be fair i think Mane's got enough credit in the bank to be allowed an off night. Poch wanted to sign Mane before Liverpool got in there (or more likely outbid us).

I think Mane is their best player, he's brilliant. But that's not what the wise on's argument is. If someone is to have an argument it had better have logic to it or else it gets picked apart.

My sole gripe with him was his first “chance”. He'd dome brilliantly to get into the position, but if he squares that to Sonny - it’s a goal. IMO it was the classic “caught in two minds” that ends up looking shit.
He pressed well, defended well & was a gnats bollock away with his second chance.
I’m really not seeing that he was shit tonight or that he cost us the game.
Harry deciding that he’d try to head it so hard into the ground that he completely lost his bearings and managed to bounce it over the bar from 6 yards was equally culpable. As was some pretty amateurish defending for Firminhos goal.
With the first opportunity, he's never set right, as he's under pressure from TAA and IMO he should have done a Vardy or Kane and slowed his run down and drawn more contact and gone down.

.Despite being challenged as he got his shot off, it literally shaved the keeper's finger tips on the way past the far post.... Any further inside and Allison would have got a full hand onto the shot anyway.
Bit of an exaggeration there mate. Re-watch it. Yes he was jostled but he snatched at it like a toe-punt instead of the instep and it came off the outer foot. Needed more composure. Keeper's finger tips nowhere near it as bent horribly wide.

Bit of an exaggeration there mate. Re-watch it. Yes he was jostled but he snatched at it like a toe-punt instead of the instep and it came off the outer foot. Needed more composure. Keeper's finger tips nowhere near it as bent horribly wide.
He wasn't set at all, was off balance and 'Keeper has angles covered. If he was to shoot (I think he should have dived) he attempted to do the right thing a go across the 'Keeper but his body position and momentum was taking him away (off balance), which is why I think he should have slowed his run drawn a bigger contact and done a triple lutz.

In terms of what?

One of his chances was followed by a "was it a corner" debate (ergo must ave been a close call as to whether the keeper reached it)... Am I getting his chances mixed up? It was defo one of them.

He wasn't set at all, was off balance and 'Keeper has angles covered. If he was to shoot (I think he should have dived) he attempted to do the right thing a go across the 'Keeper but his body position and momentum was taking him away (off balance), which is why I think he should have slowed his run drawn a bigger contact and done a triple lutz.
Dd I say anything about that? Just pointing out some hyperbole.

Dd I say anything about that? Just pointing out some hyperbole.

Where was I "exaggerating" or being "hyperbolic"....?

I didn't say a thing about how "set" he was.

I said 1) that he was being challenged (he was) and 2) he got his shot off despite this (he did).

I think you are. No corner debate with the first one.

Well, point remains... He's getting overly castigated for one of the two.

Where was I "exaggerating" or being "hyperbolic"....?

I didn't say a thing about how "set" he was.

I said 1) that he was being challenged (he was) and 2) he got his shot off despite this (he did).

Well, point remains... He's getting overly castigated for one of the two.
I didn't mention being 'set' either. I said like you he was being 'jostled'.
This bit was the exaggeration; "it literally shaved the keeper's finger tips on the way past the far post"

IIRC it was Son OR Mane. The thing is, I think Mane would have adapted to our team much quicker. Son took a long time to become world class, but at this moment Son is a clear step better.

Back
Top Bottom