Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Goal against city fantastic but anonymous apart from that the whole game. Goal vs united anonymous rest of the game. Assist vs united from bench. This is all I remember of him since he's been here. If somebody can show me an outstanding game he's had instead of an outstanding moment I'll happily watch it. Simply not done enough.

If you take into account what he's actually been deployed to do he was excellent against City (this season).

I've said this for a while not just since yesterday. He didn't even do enough in the europa league games. He's not had one great game since he's been here.

With respect I don't really care what you've said in the past.... That doesn't hold any weight here.

It's safe to say Jose has appreciated his work or he wouldn't have continued to start him throughout this recent run of big games.

With respect I don't really care what you've said in the past.... That doesn't hold any weight here.

It's safe to say Jose has appreciated his work or he wouldn't have continued to start he throughout this recent run of games.
What I'm saying is this is not just knee-jerk off of one game and missing a couple of chances. I'm personally fed up of a right winger contributing nothing in an attacking sense everytime he plays. Somebody else deserves a chance now.

What I'm saying is this is not just knee-jerk off of one game and missing a couple of chances. I'm personally fed up of a right winger contributing nothing in an attacking sense everytime he plays. Somebody else deserves a chance now.

Who hasn't been given a chance?

Guy hits the post and he’s a scapegoat. Unbelievable. How about we create more fucking chances instead of relying to convert every scrap we create?

I don't think you have understood Mou approach.

We play more conservative football now, and significant part of our goal threat comes from counter attacks and direct play.
NO you will never get 10 chances 1 vs 1 with goalie or chance to hit into empty net.

Our current approach of more defensive set-up is reliant on good finishing of good chances.
And it was not there yesterday, it was not there in Palace game.
If our finishing will have the same efficiency going forward, we will not reach even top4 let alone title.

Who hasn't been given a chance?
Well firstly I think in the europa league games clarke definitely should of been given a chance over bergwijn. In the league Bale or lucas or I'd even change the system to give dele a chance over bergwijn myself. I didn't state people haven't been given one I'm saying bergwijn has had his and someone else deserves the same run he's been afforded.

Well firstly I think in the europa league games clarke definitely should of been given a chance over bergwijn. In the league Bale or lucas or I'd even change the system to give dele a chance over bergwijn myself. I didn't state people haven't been given one I'm saying bergwijn has had his and someone else deserves the same run he's been afforded.

- Lucas has been torn to shreds over his performance yesterday too.... Go and take a lucky dip in the LUcas thread and tell me if the general consensus is about him.... Half the time it's "he's shit; sell him".
- Bale has failed to impose himself on the EL so why should he start in the league? Safe to say Jose isn't seeing what he wants form him yet.
- Clarke's had a few cameo's, but to say SB shouldn't have been given starts in the EL ahead of him you're essentially saying we should have thrown SB on the scrap heap after his first 1/2 season here even though he spent half of it injured/recovering from said in jury.

......And like I pointed out to you; if Jose wasn't pleased with SB against Cit he wouldn't have been starting the subsequent games. This exhibits the exact meritocracy that you're complaining doesn't exist.

- Lucas has been torn to shreds over his performance yesterday too.... Go and take a lucky dip in the LUcas thread and tell me if the general consensus is about him.... Half the time it's "he's shit; sell him".
- Bale has failed to impose himself on the EL so why should he start in the league? Safe to say Jose isn't seeing what he wants form him yet.
- Clarke's had a few cameo's, but to say SB shouldn't have been given starts in the EL ahead of him you're essentially saying we should have thrown SB on the scrap heap after his first 1/2 season here even though he spent half of it injured/recovering from said in jury.

......And like I pointed out to you; if Jose wasn't pleased with SB against Cit he wouldn't have been starting the subsequent games. This exhibits the exact meritocracy that you're complaining doesn't exist.
No I'm saying he's done nothing to warrant what he's getting right now bergwijn didn'texactly impose himself on europa league either but he gets behind the ball better. Lucas was shit yesterday but while inconsistent throughout the course of a season he pops up and gets you results.like I said since bergwijn has been here he has not produced an outstanding 90 minutes yet. Over the same period of time one of lucas,bale,dele,clarke or whoever would of contributed more in this timeframe. For me the guy doesn't warrant a starting spot. He's shown nothing but a few glimpses since he's been here. He doesn't impose himself on games,he doesn't beat players he's not scoring or assisting other than getting behind the ball he's offering absolutely nothing. A dangerous front 3 would make us a better side and that's what I want but we don't get that with bergwijn in the side.

No I'm saying he's done nothing to warrant what he's getting right now bergwijn didn'texactlyimpose himself on europa league either but he gets behind the ball better.

Is it really that outlandish to imagine that he trained well, got an opportunity against City, impressed Jose and has started further games as a result?

Lucas was shit yesterday but while inconsistent throughout the course of a season he pops up and gets you results.like I said since bergwijn has been here he has not produced an outstanding 90 minutes yet. Over the same period of time one of lucas,bale,dele,clarke or whoever would of contributed more in this timeframe.

Then why haven't they staked a claim in the EL either then?

Clarke? .....Evidence?

For me the guy doesn't warrant a starting spot. He's shown nothing but a few glimpses since he's been here. He doesn't impose himself on games,he doesn't beat players he's not scoring or assisting other than getting behind the ball he's offering absolutely nothing.

Yet the manager seems to be pleased with what he IS doing.

A dangerous front 3 would make us a better side.

You might wanna take the tactics up with Jose...... It seems pretty clear that the defensive end of our wingers game is important to him otherwise he'd just sling Bale in.

He plays ahead of Lucas, Bale and Lamela, because he is the best option for Mourinho's system. A runner, more or less basically a left back yesterday. And I think he suits that role really well, Mourinho is obviously a big fan of him. Mourinho has also said, he can't coach players finishing - they have to develop being clinical infront of the goal by themselves.

Maybe I’m too kind hearted but he’s getting sharper the last few games. He’s continuously put in a real shift defensively and he had some decent chances at Anfield. First one he was under a lot of pressure and the second one, well he did everything right and perhaps if he had a bit more confidence, that would have gone in. I think he gets quite a bit of shtick because he’s being compared to Son/Kane who are arguably two of the finest finishers in the game today. He’ll be good to have for the tough games but Bale should be playing against the teams we’re going to boss possession.

Bale should be playing against the teams we’re going to boss possession.?

So Bale is not going to play much for us?

Are you talking about the chance at 7:03? How is that a square ball to Son for a sure goal?

It’s about 1:25 into this (your clip is unavailable)
He even looks across at Son after the miss.
The way Son is finishing, I’d bet you a small fortune he’d convert that one from the middle of the goal.
He doesn’t look up before he takes a toe poke at it but I’m pretty certain he gets caught in 2 minds between having the shot and playing it into the danger area. In the end it’s neither because Son can’t get to it as he’s poked it with his right foot into no man’s land instead of squaring it across the box with his left.
If Son gets on the end of it, or he scores the second one, everyone would be praising his performance.
My point remains that the criticism of him is not really merited on his overall performance imo

Still like Bergwijn. Mightn't be elite but I think he's an improvement on Moura and he'll get a run of goals soon enough. The shot off the post last night was a few inches from making him a hero, if anything his first attempt was worse. Should have used his left foot instead of forcing a toe poke with his right. Last night was probably his performance with the most attacking threat and I'd expect him to improve, it must be tough adjusting to his new role as auxiliary wing back having spent his time at PSV as chief creator/attacking threat.

dont understand why he doesnt look to take on defenders more. end product has been poor all season, moura desrrves to be starting in front of him now.

needs to really work on his finishing too, hes paid the least amount of attention too from the attackers so hes logically going to get the best chances

Back
Top Bottom