Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think you have understood Mou approach.
I did and it’s a pretty fucking shit approach. Players WILL ALWAYS miss chances no matter how good/bad they are. It’s human nature and normal to be like that. Relying on these chances to be converted all the time because you can’t create other chances is just shooting yourself in the food.

I did and it’s a pretty fucking shit approach. Players WILL ALWAYS miss chances no matter how good they are. Relying on these chances to be converted 90% of the time because you can’t create others is just shooting yourself in the food.
we had 4 clear cut chances last night...liverpool had 1 maybe. mourinhos tactics might not create half chance after half chance but they limit the other teams clear cuts and we seem to have a few most games

Was probably our best player along with Aurier and PEH. He absolutely deserves to be playing ahead of Bale and Lucas, the former has been nothing other than an expected disappointment.

The big problem we have is when you set up your team to have just a handful of attacks per game it doesn't really leave much wiggle room. Salah had 4 shots this evening and scored one with a huge deflection and he's supposed to be a Worldclass forward. Mane had 4 shots didn't score, so he must be totally dog shit, right? Bergwjin had 2 and hit the post with one.

His role under Jose is primarily to defend, which he did manfully (it's just a shame we play this passively) and then to be a runner to draw the defence to create space for Son & Kane.
Bergwijn chances were far easier than Mane’s though especially the second one

If he had an ounce of intelligence he would have gone down for the first one when challenged as Salah would have done

Get rid!

If he had an ounce of intelligence he would have gone down for the first one when challenged as Salah would have done

Get rid!
Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm....................I wonder why his chances were bigger than Mane's? Could it have anything to do with getting past your marker 1v1? Something that Mane DIDN'T do and Bergwijn DID!!!

So it would have been better for him not to have beaten his opposite number so that he didn't have a great opportunity than beat his opposite number and fashion a great chance.??@!!??

The way some of you watch the game is truly baffling (Sorry Baz, I love you man, hope you don't get too stuffy about that comment, I would understand if you did though).

Get rid!

How can you be so dismissive over Bergwijn (who's been here less than a year) but then get so defensive when people call out Sissoko for what he is?

Is it really that outlandish to imagine that he trained well, got an opportunity against City, impressed Jose and has started further games as a result?

Then why haven't they staked a claim in the EL either then?

Clarke? .....Evidence?

Yet the manager seems to be pleased with what he IS doing.

You might wanna take the tactics up with Jose...... It seems pretty clear that the defensive end of our wingers game is important to him otherwise he'd just sling Bale in.

Is it really that outlandish to imagine that he trained well, got an opportunity against City, impressed Jose and has started further games as a result?

Clarke? .....Evidence?

You might wanna take the tactics up with Jose...... It seems pretty clear that the defensive end of our wingers game is important to him otherwise he'd just sling Bale in.
Firstly

Clarke? .....Evidence?

No it's not but for an attacking winger for me he hasn't taken his chance and it's time to give somebody else a fair crack to contribute.

Clarke why not. If he's given the same opportunity who knows what he's capable of. But he can't do any worse in an attacking sense than bergwijn right now.

I think jose needs to adapt slightly. I think he's gone too far defensively and needs to get the balance in his tactics right and we need to create a bit more I think he's gone slightly too far defensively since the west ham game. Personally I think we created better with ndombele playing each week and bergwijn not in the side.

Firstly

No it's not

Not what?

but for an attacking winger for me he hasn't taken his chance and it's time to give somebody else a fair crack to contribute.

For a winger role with heavily weighted defensive responsibility; Jose disagrees with you.

Clarke why not.

You said Clarke "would of contributed more in this timeframe"

Based on what evidence?

(I like and support the lad being given game-time, but that's not the issue here.....)

I'm not even sure your guarantees credibly extend to Lucas, Dele & Bale either given their outings in the EL.

If he's given the same opportunity who knows what he's capable of. But he can't do any worse in an attacking sense than bergwijn right now.

You said contribute more..... Not zero goals as well.

.......And to what sacrifice defensively?

I think jose needs to adapt slightly. I think he's gone too far defensively and needs to get the balance in his tactics right and we need to create a bit more I think he's gone slightly too far defensively since the west ham game. Personally I think we created better with ndombele playing each week and bergwijn not in the side.

Bergwijn hasn't been playing instead of Ndombele.

7 points and ZERO goals conceeded against City/Chavs/Arse in succession (as part of an 11 game unbeaten run) is a damn strong counter argument to your idle and unsubstantiated musings.....

Funny thing is; you started off blaming the player; now you're blaming the system..... Maybe Stevie looks more dangerous in a different system?

I did and it’s a pretty fucking shit approach. Players WILL ALWAYS miss chances no matter how good/bad they are. It’s human nature and normal to be like that. Relying on these chances to be converted all the time because you can’t create other chances is just shooting yourself in the food.

Yes, sure they do. But our way of evaluating players could maybe be based on what is the hit and miss ratio? Kane missed a free header yesterday and did not score from very good position against Palace either. But at the same time he constantly scores and creates. Bergwijn ruined our best chance and in finishing chances side ... he has done nothing else this season. That is where difference lies.

In the start of your post you claim you understand approach and in the end of the same short post you prove that you absolutely do not.

If you play compact defense and aim to create chances from counter-attacks with a lot of room for our attacking players ... then in this system it is written into the fact that the chances have higher likelyhood of ending with a goal... and other side of the medal is you get less of them.

But yea, has to be absolute shit approach, took us to top of EPL... something that "press-press-press-be-brave-run-run-run-press-press-press" Poch approach never achieved. And something that Mou initial approach of more attacking football wouldn't have delivered.

Yes, sure they do. But our way of evaluating players could maybe be based on what is the hit and miss ratio? Kane missed a free header yesterday and did not score from very good position against Palace either. But at the same time he constantly scores and creates. Bergwijn ruined our best chance and in finishing chances side ... he has done nothing else this season. That is where difference lies.

In the start of your post you claim you understand approach and in the end of the same short post you prove that you absolutely do not.

If you play compact defense and aim to create chances from counter-attacks with a lot of room for our attacking players ... then in this system it is written into the fact that the chances have higher likelyhood of ending with a goal... and other side of the medal is you get less of them.

But yea, has to be absolute shit approach, took us to top of EPL... something that "press-press-press-be-brave-run-run-run-press-press-press" Poch approach never achieved. And something that Mou initial approach of more attacking football wouldn't have delivered.
But we have just been beaten by a side that kept the ball and pressed, pressed and pressed!!!

The logic of arguments being put in this thread is mindboggling!!

Not what?

For a winger role with heavily weighted defensive responsibility; Jose disagrees with you.

You said Clarke "would of contributed more in this timeframe"

Based on what evidence?

(I like and support the lad being given game-time, but that's not the issue here.....)

I'm not even sure your guarantees credibly extend to Lucas, Dele & Bale either given their outings in the EL.

You said contribute more..... Not zero goals as well.

.......And to what sacrifice defensively?

Bergwijn hasn't been playing instead of Ndombele.

7 points and ZERO goals conceeded against City/Chavs/Arse in succession (as part of an 11 game unbeaten run) is a damn strong counter argument to your idle and unsubstantiated musings.....

Funny thing is; you started off blaming the player; now you're blaming the system..... Maybe Stevie looks more dangerous in a different system?
Not outlandish.
Jose will not be sending out bergwijn every game saying get behind the ball but then treat the ball like a hot potato,then continually not be able to beat your man then on top of that I want you to contribute nothing in an attacking sense.

The other part was in response to you saying I may have a problem with Jose's tactics and I do. His continual inclusion of bergwijn being my biggest gripe right now.

Clarke,Lucas bale me personally right now I'm not bothered which one but one of them atleast deserves an opportunity and I'd even say I'd rather give dele a go as I'vebeen impressed with his attitude of late. But i don't think his inclusion is justified anymore especially not just by the gets behind the ball and defends well. That's not enough for a winger imo.

I mean some of the reactions here were way-way-WAY over the top. Whoever posted them know themselves. Mou clearly sees value in using him and I agree that looking at alternatives (Moura, Bale, Clarke, Alli) none of them look better in the end really...

But that being said, it was not his first nor 2nd miss. I guess it was most painful one because if he'd scored the 2nd chance it would have been a different game. All in all, as a 3rd attacker, he HAS to improve himself. He has to chip in with more goals and assists, because more and more opposite defenders are just focusing on Son and Kane.

If that does not happen and none of other options won't step up either, then we might try something different. For example play with 3 CB+2 fullbacks with fully attacking focus, 3 CM and Son+Kane upfront. Right now teams overall bad finishing has cost us 5 points in 2 games - we did not put away any of the good chances against Palace and did not use our chances against Liverpool in 2nd half.

But we have just been beaten by a side that kept the ball and pressed, pressed and pressed!!!

The logic of arguments being put in this thread is mindboggling!!

You are just embarring yoursef here.
What I said is - Mou and his current counter-attacking football took us to top of EPL and Poch pressing style did not, so I would not say that this is shit approach.

Is this wrong claim? Because I know that this is a true fact.

Yes, we were beaten by Liverpool who uses constant pressing. That does not rebut any part of the claim in my previous post. Klopp has managed to turn the pressing approach into results and trophies. Poch never did and won nothing. Furthermore - look at our squad and look at Liverpool squad. They are assembled very differently. If we would have used their tactics we would have been swapped aside with double digits goal difference most likely. Or are you claiming that "we lost to side who constantly pressed => this means that this is the universal way to play same kind of football cause this is the only right way in every situation"? cause this would be truly mindboggling argument, as you would say.

Not outlandish.

Well, then why are you so stubbornly fighting that logic?

Jose will not be sending out bergwijn every game saying get behind the ball but then treat the ball like a hot potato,then continually not be able to beat your man then on top of that I want you to contribute nothing in an attacking sense.

No; but then again he's not as bad as you are gratuitously describing.

The other part was in response to you saying I may have a problem with Jose's tactics and I do. His continual inclusion of bergwijn being my biggest gripe right now.

You're meandering all over the place.

Clarke,Lucas bale me personally right now I'm not bothered which one but one of them atleast deserves an opportunity

We're going round in circles here... Based on what?

Why haven't they seized the opportunities they have already been given?

I'd even say I'd rather give dele a go as I'vebeen impressed with his attitude of late.

Why? He's shown no better end product or attitude to SB in the EL.... Dele is certainly not particularly well suited for the role that Jose is seeking to fill.

But i don't think his inclusion is justified anymore especially not just by the gets behind the ball and defends well. That's not enough for a winger imo.

If that's what the manager primarily wants; then sadly - as far as your end of this debate goes - it is justified.

Well, then why are you so stubbornly fighting that logic?

No; but then again he's not as bad as you are gratuitously describing.

You're meandering all over the place.

We're going round in circles here... Based on what?

Why haven't they seized the opportunities they have already been given?

Why? He's shown no better end product or attitude to SB in the EL.... Dele is certainly not particularly well suited for the role that Jose is seeking to fill.

If that's what the manager primarily wants; then sadly - as far as your end of this debate goes - it is justified.
Just because I concede it's not outlandish it doesn't mean I agree with it. I have my own opinion on it from what I'm seeing in competitive games. Personally I think he is as bad as I'm describing. If you can give me an outstanding game he has had I will gladly go back and watch the whole thing but I don't think you'll be able to name one. If you can play that many games and not have one outstanding full game I don't see why it's inconceivable that people are getting to the end of their tether for a player not producing the goods. I get why he plays for me personally I don't think that's enough.

Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm....................I wonder why his chances were bigger than Mane's? Could it have anything to do with getting past your marker 1v1? Something that Mane DIDN'T do and Bergwijn DID!!!

So it would have been better for him not to have beaten his opposite number so that he didn't have a great opportunity than beat his opposite number and fashion a great chance.??@!!??

The way some of you watch the game is truly baffling (Sorry Baz, I love you man, hope you don't get too stuffy about that comment, I would understand if you did though).
Love you too sweety but I did say ‘easier’ and not ‘bigger’!

I wouldn’t want anyone to think that you were twisting peoples words now would we?
Simply not on old chap 🧐

Just because I concede it's not outlandish it doesn't mean I agree with it. I have my own opinion on it from what I'm seeing in competitive games. Personally I think he is as bad as I'm describing. If you can give me an outstanding game he has had I will gladly go back and watch the whole thing but I don't think you'll be able to name one.

I already have done..... City a few weeks back... Earned him his current run in the team.

(Already said this.)

Now your turn.... Pls answer my questions as to why you feel bold enough to make such guarantees about the players you're advocating for.

If you can play that many games and not have one outstanding full game I don't see why it's inconceivable that people are getting to the end of their tether for a player not producing the goods.

Again.... Evidently he is ticking the boxes for the manager or he wouldn't keep playing him......

I get why he plays for me personally I don't think that's enough.

Ho Hum.

Play Lucas in the same role, you get the same outcome (see his game vs Woolwich after lockdown last season).... He was excellent, but did fuck all of note in attacking terms.

Essentially you want to alter the whole balance of the team. Our results so far don't back-up the call for such an overhaul.

Back
Top Bottom