Summer 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link...but if its not up at the end of this year, I see a new offer getting held off until next summer...unfortunately it comes down to that injury and how he is able to recover his form. I miss him.

Levy historically has never let a contract run down to its last year for a first teamer in their 20s for a number of years now. Aaron Lennon's one was the last one that was expiring in 2014 before getting renewed in September 2012. Unless Kaboul has an option on his current deal which the club can exercise he's getting a new contract, he's only 27 and Levy will not lose out on a good transfer fee.

Parker, Huddlestone and Defoe also expire in 2015 and I expect them to be moved on this summer personally. Rose, Assou-Ekotto and Dawson also expire in 2015 and I expect to see something happen with them also, although not sure what.

From experience this guy isn't as much of a WUM as some other journos out there, writes for the Hackney rag, I believe.

EDIT: Also "one time Tottenham target" Son has moved to Leverkusen. Didn't think that was ever a goer personally.

In all honesty, I highly doubt we are going to carry on pursuing Leandro Damiao. Levy is a stubborn man and we have been dealing with him and Inter for far too long now, it has become like a soap opera and, like all Tottenham fans, I think Levy will be tired with it.

We should move onto another target now; Jackson Martinez or Mario Gomez would be my first personal choices but I doubt we could pull that off.

Everything has gone quiet on the David Villa side of things too, wonder what is going on there if anything!

All this hysteria building up, with all on this thread getting emotional and wanting someone to be signed. Everyone has to be cool, calm and collected!!!!!:cool::cool::cool: and

DONT PANIC
MbpHG.gif

Didn't Villa say he wanted to wait until after the Confed Cup (and subsequent holiday) before deciding his future?

IF we get him, will be a late window transfer I would imagine.

Apparently Dortmund won't pay the $18m (£11.5m) that he is supposedly valued at and are looking at Draxler or Eriksen instead. Not sure how true that is mind, but £11.5m for Bernard is a steal in my opinion.

Have you been rating and watching Bernard for very long? Most of the non-Brazilian world hand't heard of the guy until a month ago.

Fair enough with the comparison's with Oscar...but Oscar was very much more well known at the time of his Chav move.

I had heard of him before we started to be linked with him. A lot (not all!!) of the non-Brazilian world don't watch much football outside of Europe anyway (especially when it comes to fans), so nobody had heard much about him and it was similar with Oscar. Any Brazilian is a gamble but we can't afford to lose another quality prospect.

Have you been rating and watching Bernard for very long? Most of the non-Brazilian world hand't heard of the guy until a month ago.

Fair enough with the comparison's with Oscar...but Oscar was very much more well known at the time of his Chav move.
I think the main point with someone like Bernard is that in order to snatch up a player like this you really have to have the courage of your convictions and act quickly.

Why is he valued at £12m (I don't believe this btw, I think he'll be more)? Because he has just had an incredible break out season and the world has paid attention.

Is £12m a risk? Undoubtedly, it's his break out season so nobody really has the skinny on him. He could be a one season wonder.

Is £12m worth risking? Undoubtedly, if he has the same level of success for a second term, his price tag will be minimum doubled and it won't be a Europa team that buys him.

If you want to get a player of this calibre but not pony up the real money for them, then you need to take a risk before anyone else. This can sometimes work out well (Modric), or it can bite you in the arse when you realise that you bought the wrong player of a wonderful strike partnership (Rebrov/Sheva).

It means plucking a player from a league you would consider inferior and with not very much experience. Look at ManU and Ronaldo. £12m for an 18 year old with a season of experience. Fergie's next attempt to steal a world class superstar ended up with £8m wasted on a street kid who had never kicked a ball in a top league. That's the risk/reward balance.

If this kid has half the potential people are bleating on about, then £12m is a calculated risk that is available for one transfer window only.

I think the main point with someone like Bernard is that in order to snatch up a player like this you really have to have the courage of your convictions and act quickly.

Why is he valued at £12m (I don't believe this btw, I think he'll be more)? Because he has just had an incredible break out season and the world has paid attention.

Is £12m a risk? Undoubtedly, it's his break out season so nobody really has the skinny on him. He could be a one season wonder.

Is £12m worth risking? Undoubtedly, if he has the same level of success for a second term, his price tag will be minimum doubled and it won't be a Europa team that buys him.

If you want to get a player of this calibre but not pony up the real money for them, then you need to take a risk before anyone else. This can sometimes work out well (Modric), or it can bite you in the arse when you realise that you bought the wrong player of a wonderful strike partnership (Rebrov/Sheva).

It means plucking a player from a league you would consider inferior and with not very much experience. Look at ManU and Ronaldo. £12m for an 18 year old with a season of experience. Fergie's next attempt to steal a world class superstar ended up with £8m wasted on a street kid who had never kicked a ball in a top league. That's the risk/reward balance.

If this kid has half the potential people are bleating on about, then £12m is a calculated risk that is available for one transfer window only.

Couldn't agree with you more. He has huge potential and the Brazilians rate him as the best prospect in the country now Neymar has gone, this alone makes £12m worth spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom