Summer 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naw...there's a reason he was in a trash league and then went to another trash league and a reason why he isn't on the national squad. Money well saved.
Disagree with that. He's proved his worth in the Champion's League. Also, he wasn't exactly spouting off in the media about how much he'd love to move to Russia. His desire for a move fractured his relationship with Shaktar, and Anzhi knew that if they swooped with a Galactico fee for Willian that nobody in the Prem would match it and that Shaktar would put pressure on Willian to make the move.

It's unfortunate, and 35m Euros is fucking insane for a player from the Ukrainian league, but you have no basis to question his ability as a player. You know exactly how deep the squad is for Brazil, it isn't a mark of shame for a winger/attacking mid not to have broken in to that setup.

Your hatred of all things Brazilian is blooming nicely.

No No No...not true at all. I love great Brazilians...not the ones that refuse to move onwards and upwards because their second uncle is holding out for a bid in the range of 1000 billions. e.g. Le Beast.

And yes, Willian is not that good... he is inconsistent and has been dropped off the national squad because ...and as Willian has acknowledged...exists in a less competitive league and inconsistent form. Holtby >>>>>>>>> Willian x 24.3

Disagree with that. He's proved his worth in the Champion's League. Also, he wasn't exactly spouting off in the media about how much he'd love to move to Russia. His desire for a move fractured his relationship with Shaktar, and Anzhi knew that if they swooped with a Galactico fee for Willian that nobody in the Prem would match it and that Shaktar would put pressure on Willian to make the move.

It's unfortunate, and 35m Euros is fucking insane for a player from the Ukrainian league, but you have no basis to question his ability as a player. You know exactly how deep the squad is for Brazil, it isn't a mark of shame for a winger/attacking mid not to have broken in to that setup.

Molde was in the champion's league too...does that make them class?

How the fuck was it Willian's refusal to move onwards and upwards???

The bid he wanted wasn't forthcoming, and his relationship with Shaktar was breaking.

No No, Leandro...and I am more pissed at his club and third party ownership deal. If I was Leandro I would be pissed. A team wanted to strike while the iron was hot, and his club's "elitism" may have very well stunted his career and growth.

Hopefully Neymar gets out this summer....but he will score less goals in a European league than in Brazil...same as Messi...if he was in BPL or Bundesliga he would be scoring less goals...still the best player in our lifetime, but everything is relative. And Leandro should have been given the opportunity to prove his talent and grow as a player. He will plateau in Brazil.

And yes, Willian is not that good... he is inconsistent and has been dropped off the national squad because ...and as Willian has acknowledged...exists in a less competitive league and inconsistent form. Holtby >>>>>>>>> Willian x 24.3
I don't follow the CBF politics as closely as I could, but vadimivich vadimivich had multiple posts in the Jan transfer thread explaining both why Willian would be a great addition to Spurs and why it's simple elitism on the part of CBF not to pick players who ply their trade in Eastern Europe. (Hulk being the exception… for now…)

Fact is, the Russian and Ukrainian leagues are catching up to the "big 5", and I expect them to pass by Ligue 1 and Serie A within 5 years or so. Sure, people will still dream about someday playing for Juve, but it'll be these Slavic clubs that are making it to the quarters of the CL.

As for plateauing in Brazil, I'll say it until it'll one day be true: the brasileirão is not your grandfather's Brazilian football league, which was a mélange of state-level leagues and the like. And as more money pours in, the quality will get better and fewer Brazilians will leave for Europe.

Bold prediction: at Rio, the Seleção will have a higher proportion of players playing for Brazilian clubs than it has had in any WC since 94.

No No No...not true at all. I love great Brazilians...not the ones that refuse to move onwards and upwards because their second uncle is holding out for a bid in the range of 1000 billions. e.g. Le Beast.

Really? You think Willian is better than Holtby Bergmattsson Bergmattsson

Fact is, the Russian and Ukrainian leagues are catching up to the "big 5", and I expect them to pass by Ligue 1 and Serie A within 5 years or so. Sure, people will still dream about someday playing for Juve, but it'll be these Slavic clubs that are making it to the quarters of the CL.
:saha:

One thing's certain though: the number of top level players making a move to Eastern European clubs will only grow from now on. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian league, but in Russia it all began with Eto'o, i think. For now, it's a duel between two clubs, but as the time goes by, other clubs will also start spending big.
I expect several big name players to move to Russia in the next transfer window. Three is my guess. I also expect a crazy offer to Mourinho from Anzhi, which he most probably will decline.

:saha:

One thing's certain though: the number of top level players making a move to Eastern European clubs will only grow from now on. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian league, but in Russia it all began with Eto'o, i think. For now, it's a duel between two clubs, but as the time goes by, other clubs will also start spending big.
I expect several big name players to move to Russia in the next transfer window. Three is my guess. I also expect a crazy offer to Mourinho from Anzhi, which he most probably will decline.

The same can be said about almost all of growth markets for the sport. The issue with Eastern Europe is...ya...they will inflate your wage but it isn't a "great" place to be. Eto'o doesn't even live in the city he plays for...commutes in from a foreigner friendly neighborhood in Moscow. I'll try to find the article that talked about it....

Anyway...while the clubs can buy a few big ticket players, what happens when the growing leagues hit the point where not everyone can take 200k pounds a week? Would they rather get 90k a week and live in and work for a place where their fan's demand only white european players orr....take 70k a week and live and work in Dortmund, London et. al. and still compete in CL, get the endorsement deals, and be broadcasted into more television sets/ send their kids to school without armed guards?

One thing's certain though: the number of top level players making a move to Eastern European clubs will only grow from now on. I'm not familiar with Ukrainian league, but in Russia it all began with Eto'o, i think.
My point, however, is the inverse of this. The Russian and Ukarianian leagues won't eclipse Ligue 1 and Serie A by making big-time transfers (though that'll help). It's by making a competitive *league* with good sides. At least one of those two leagues has sent at least one side into the CL knockouts for the past three seasons, and this year there are as many French & Portuguese clubs in the CL knockout as Ukrainian--this despite the fact that Ukraine & Russia each get two slots, while France and Portugal get three. My claim about Ligue 1 getting passed by isn't controversial at all IMO. Serie A is a bit more of a reach—but we'll see.

And most importantly, this is all going on while the big, bad wolf, Anži, hasn't even qualified for the CL yet!!! And Zenit spent like drunken sailors only to sow rampant dischord in their clubhouse--a mistake they will probably try to avoid in the future.

As for Eto'o, Anži train in Moscow and go to Dagestan only to play. His living that far from the stadium is not unique to his being a rich superstar familiar with the Western European lifestyle.

Eto'o doesn't even live in the city he plays for...commutes in from a foreigner friendly neighborhood in Moscow.
It has nothing to do with the fact that he's a foreigner though. Not only Eto'o, but all the players and staff live & train in Moscow. They just don't have the facilities there, in Dagestan, yet.

Would they rather get 90k a week and live in and work for a place where their fan's demand only white european players orr
Racism is not exclusive to Eastern Europe.

Or it's because of the car bombs going off in he city.
I read WHITE&BLUE's point as suggesting that Eto'o was somehow unique for living in a "foreigner friendly" neighborhood in Moscow. My response was merely that the entire apparatus of the club is based out of Moscow. So it's not that Anži pay for a jet for Eto'o from Moscow while the rest of the team of no names slums in Maxačkala.

Racism is not exclusive to Eastern Europe.
Right. I find that it's hard to have a discussion about the Russian Premier League because it summons so much tiresome anti-Russian sentiment.

Edit: what I mean here is for every "but Zenit's fan groups have said they don't want black or gay players!!!" someone uses to chalk against Russia, I'll respond with something like the collective brick shitted out by the 49ers team (not fan group) when it became clear that they might be seen as pro-gay:

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/01/it_gets_better_pulls_49ers_psa_after_players_deny_their_involvement/

Anyway, back to transfer speculation

My comments were not meant to draw attention to any anti-Russian sentiment, I really have no "problem" with the league...my comments about living elsewhere were close to San Diego's point...car bombs...and just a sheer lack of everything in some of these eastern european towns. All leagues have their issues with race, creeds, and religion...but not all suffer from player's general fear for their own safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom