Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.png

image.png

I could go on mate. Why don't you watch the guy play. Everyone's wrong but you.

I could find you numerous articles and sources where he's quoted as being a natural box to box player. He is not a natural DM. He plays box to box. Just because he's supposedly the deepest player in a system doesn't mean he's a defensive midfielder.

Xabi Alonso played deepest for Madrid this season but he's not a defensive midfielder. He's a deep-lying playmaker. Fernandinho is more of a box to box player even though he played deepest for City. Gerrard is a deep-lying playmaker rather than a defensive midfielder for Liverpool.

Please actually watch him in some games before commenting on what type of player he is.

I could find you numerous articles and sources where he's quoted as being a natural box to box player. He is not a natural DM. He plays box to box. Just because he's supposedly the deepest player in a system doesn't mean he's a defensive midfielder.

Xabi Alonso played deepest for Madrid this season but he's not a defensive midfielder. He's a deep-lying playmaker. Fernandinho is more of a box to box player even though he played deepest for City. Gerrard is a deep-lying playmaker rather than a defensive midfielder for Liverpool.

Please actually watch him in some games before commenting on what type of player he is.

We weren't talking about Alonso, Fernandinho or Gerrard - coincidentally 3 players who had zero impact at the world cup. I understand the roles they were playing though. Gerrard is not a natural deep-lying playmaker for example, but he played there for the dippers this season with some success.

You have a difference of opinion to many people, and of course that's fine, but please don't laugh at people without evidence other than your own opinion.

We weren't talking about Alonso, Fernandinho or Gerrard - coincidentally 3 players who had zero impact at the world cup. I understand the roles they were playing though. Gerrard is not a natural deep-lying playmaker for example, but he played there for the dippers this season with some success.

You have a difference of opinion to many people, and of course that's fine, but please don't laugh at people without evidence other than your own opinion.

I am giving examples to explain why a player playing in a deep role shouldn't automatically be consider a defensive midfielder. I don't understand what the World Cup has to do with any of this. Anyway, have you watched Germany in the World Cup? When you watched Khedira, hand on heart, did he come across as a defensive midfielder? Your answer to this should pretty much conclude this debate.

I don't think anybody is debating what type of player he is. As stated in my second post on the subject it's simply a term that is used to explain positioning. At least, that's how I am using and how plenty of other places tend to use. DM. I agree that he has more in his toolbox than say... Matic. But they are still both in most situations going to be classed as a DMs.

Anyways, enough of this pissing contest. I see your point. I stand by mine. I think we are way less far apart than you think but anyways... back to Spurs transfer talk.

It's an argument on a football forum about a footballer. How else do you do it? What would you recommend arguing about?

Its not that, its the fact that in 3 pages neither of you have realised that you have your own opinions on him. Plus he isnt our player nor have we been linked to him. Im saying you need to calm down, im not suggesting dont have a discussion, im saying that there comes a time when you're both right and you need to let it go.

This can only mean one thing; Freudlyuchenko Freudlyuchenko found his video game console when he got home from boarding school instead of his unfortunate pooch.
No, he took the brother of the transfer dog out. Now nobody, least of all his lovely pack of dogs, has a clue what's going on. I think he took the wrong one out, and woolwich signed Sanchez, but maybe a bowl of Winalot sealed the Lloris contract? He should be physically restrained. :holtbytongue:

Last edited:
With a couple of weeks watching the non-player movement - hopefully Poch is assessing who to keep and who to let go.
I have been thinking of player movement I would be happy with - suiting our young talent option and Poch's pressing game.
PLAYERS IN 4 (65mill)
LB - Davies or Rojo 10 mill
CM - Schneiderlin 17.5mill
LM - Griezmann 17.5mill
Striker - Bony 20mill

PLAYERS OUT 9 (40mill)
Benny/ Falque/Cellabos/Mason 5mill, Dembele 13mill, Sandro 12mill, Sigurdsson 7mill, Naughton 3mill, Kane (loaned).

CB - remains a problem, reassess at January. No obvious options since Montero broke leg, Lovren pricing himself too high. Lahcelles is a chance but would be loaned back. Caulker is an option but should he return to where he left ?

As much as I hate this type of rhetoric..it is a football forum...

Khedira is a CM (position) playing box-to-box (role).

GK
RB (RWB) - CB (RCB) - CB (LCB) - LB (LWB)
RM (RW, RAM) - CM( DM, DLP, B2B,CAM) - CM( DM, DLP, B2B,CAM) - LM (LW,LAM)
CF(ST) - CF(ST)

With a couple of weeks watching the non-player movement - hopefully Poch is assessing who to keep and who to let go.
I have been thinking of player movement I would be happy with - suiting our young talent option and Poch's pressing game.
PLAYERS IN 4 (65mill)
LB - Davies or Rojo 10 mill
CM - Schneiderlin 17.5mill
LM - Griezmann 17.5mill
Striker - Bony 20mill

PLAYERS OUT 9 (40mill)
Benny/ Falque/Cellabos/Mason 5mill, Dembele 13mill, Sandro 12mill, Sigurdsson 7mill, Naughton 3mill, Kane (loaned).

CB - remains a problem, reassess at January. No obvious options since Montero broke leg, Lovren pricing himself too high. Lahcelles is a chance but would be loaned back. Caulker is an option but should he return to where he left ?

That would be a sweet window ...
And honestly, we wouldn't really need to buy Bony, IF we got those other three.
Davies (or another capable LB), Schneiderlin, and Griezmann would make an EPIC window, and we wouldn't need to spend a penny more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom