Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are tight about Berahino. He publicly said he wanted to move to a bigger club in January, and is now demanding a move. Who's to say he wouldn't do the same to us if he had a couple of good years?

With Austin, he knows this is a massive step up having come from non league (I actually played against him, so kind of hope we do sign him)
He'd definitely do all he could to repay the chance he is given.
Yep. Right until someone offers him champions league...

How does a player live up to a price tag though, and is it their fault if the club overpaid? I think we did in Lamela's case, and I don't see why he's to blame for that.

I also think it's silly to say he didn't do much last year. If he didn't do much last year, but got the most assists on the team, and created on par with Navas then which RW in England did much of anything?
Paulinho's goal tally was respectable, but he still looked like a donkey out there. Much the same case with Erik's stats.

In football you shouldn't let stats contradict what your eyes tell you. Lamela has looked out of his depth. Another busted flush.

Paulinho's goal tally was respectable, but he still looked like a donkey out there. Much the same case with Erik's stats.

In football you shouldn't let stats contradict what your eyes tell you. Lamela has looked out of his depth. Another busted flush.
Lamela still looks too light weight to be a EPL player. Two years here and he doesnt look like he has been to the gym once

Agreed stats are a joke sometimes I know I have watched Lamela be pony for 95% of his appearances for us I don't what the stats say.

I'm a big proponent of stats but they need to be combined with watching a player actually play. The defensive stats for me are the ones that are most misleading about Lamela. He runs around very hard and does win some tackles but most of the time he is either out of position or giving away a dangerous free kick. He's lucky he hasn't been sent off as he's put in a few unnecessarily nasty challenges at times.

Still, wouldn't want him to leave without a replacement. He's decent enough for Europa League and there's still maybe a 10% chance he removes his head from his ass and figures it out.

CNRVgB7WEAA2ayo.jpg
Good for our net spend though, apparently.

Very ambitious.

I pulled up the stats last year and their goal and assists to appearances are pretty similar. Stats aside they are virtually the same player both flatter to deceive and often pick the wrong option going forward.
Are they? I sure don't see them being pretty similar. Lamela's numbers, goals aside were 150% of Townsends. That's not similar in my book.

£15m for an 18 goal british striker isnt a big price tag.
That's not what I really meant. More that £15m for a player with perceived injury problems is a risk compared to other options. This is the only possible reason that he hasn't already been picked up by another club I should imagine.

He's no Championship player so why else wouldn't he have a move yet?

Why shouldn't you? People thought Falcao was great based off one good game. That didn't turn out to be true. The eye test is unreliable on its own because it's subject to recency bias, confirmation bias, prior assumptions and lack of comparative data. Clubs that rely on eye test scouting do brilliant stuff like signing Lallana and Paulinho.

Clubs that use data and then run an eye test after to sort out preferences wind up with Mane instead.

That's your narrative for things, which is built on top of another one that claimed there was no intention to build a stadium.

We have a list of striker targets. We have worked our way down that list as preferred options became unavailable. We have been trying all summer, and as Levy pointed out most business was going to happen now, because that's when other clubs are willing to deal.

Is it the club's fault that other clubs don't want to sell the players we want? Or should we just buy whoever is available quickly, regardless of what Pochettino wants?

Fans like to have to both ways. You demand instant gratification of big signings, title-winning football and no intrusion of reality.

This isn't East Enders, it's real money, various people's livelihoods and an actual sport.

Transfer negotiations take the time they take. It's not something the club controls. As for the results, as I said elsewhere, I think we've actually been victims of misfortune and should have come away with Between 6 and 9 points. Shit happens though and it's not a disaster, nor something anyone can be held accountable for. It's football.

What we as fans can be held accountable for is a hypocritical demand for the club to pay any price, and then attacking them for doing so if things don't work out. It only reveals the complainer to be a wilfully ignorant child. If you feel that role is perfect for you, then by all means continue your narrative.
Listen to yourself. You will continue to back Levy regardless. In spite of the whole media saying so, Spurs fans, other fans, the football world in general saying so,we have thus far been sold short again in this window. We spend less than every other Premier league club in net terms on strengthening the playing squad. While at the same time our chairman draws the second highest salary among his counterparts and chargest the second highest seat for seat prices. Levy puts business before football every fucking time. To you his shit may smell like roses. To a growing number of us he's a fucking parasite interested only in his long term gain.

Injury record? He has averaged 30 games a season over the last 4 years.
He is like Demba Ba ... failed a medical at Stoke, then nobody would take a risk until Newcastle ... then it turned out there was no problem to start with.
Ledley played over 20 games in his final season and was made of sand paper and pain.

Any medical is based on what the likelihood of playing in the future looks like.

It's just a suggestion, but if nobody is confident in buying that many proven goals, there has to be something wrong.

Listen to yourself. You will continue to back Levy regardless. In spite of the whole media saying so, Spurs fans, other fans, the football world in general saying so,we have thus far been sold short again in this window. We spend less than every other Premier league club in net terms on strengthening the playing squad. While at the same time our chairman draws the second highest salary among his counterparts and chargest the second highest seat for seat prices. Levy puts business before football every fucking time. To you his shit may smell like roses. To a growing number of us he's a fucking parasite interested only in his long term gain.
And you completely fail to comprehend my position again.

Yes, we do pay the second highest price for tickets. What's the capacity of WHL? Now, compare that to the gate our rivals get at their grounds. If you think you're being sold short on transfers, exactly how is paying less for tickets, and then having an even smaller budget, going to help you?

I don't really give a fuck what the media says as they're a consistently clueless pack of click-chasing morons who peddle whatever narrative you're dumb enough to believe. I also don't really give a shit what you claim all other fans are saying, simply because a) you don't speak for all the other fans, and b) fans know fuck all about what is going on anyway.

Our chairman does put business before football. Football is a business. It's not a charity, and he's under no obligation to lose money for your entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom